Starcraft on C-list/ebay!

oldhaven

Chief Petty Officer
Depending on the local market, and due to the disassembly and no motor, that 1600 seems like a wishful price rather than a final one. I notice the ad was updated after 5 days. Also judging from the text, the advertiser seems like a nice person who had big plans for the Chief, is an iboats reader and may be reading this right now. Maybe you can bargain a bit if you promise to do it up right and give it the TLC it deserves..

Ron

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Depending on the local market, and due to the disassembly and no motor, that 1600 seems like a wishful price rather than a final one. I notice the ad was updated after 5 days. Also judging from the text, the advertiser seems like a nice person who had big plans for the Chief, is an iboats reader and may be reading this right now. Maybe you can bargain a bit if you promise to do it up right and give it the TLC it deserves..

Ron
I concur that $1600 is a bit high.

I've seen several boats in working order that were priced less. And the "missing" pieces would be a deal breaker for me. The splashwell is imperative because I'm thinking that that particular Chief needs a pair of 70s sitting on the back! :D And that's just part of doing it up right in the restoration!

Ya better believe that it would be a first class restore all the way. I'd aspire to get up to Watermann's standards even if I couldn't fully reach them. That boat deserves the best!

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Actually upon looking at it more I believe I was wrong... I believe it's supposed to be that way... The crossmember that the front of the leaf spring mounts to is not parrallel with the axle beam.... Was thinking it was bent at the main frame but looking closer it looks to be bent at the keel on purpose and rear one looks to match it...

OOPS!

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Actually upon looking at it more I believe I was wrong... I believe it's supposed to be that way... The crossmember that the front of the leaf spring mounts to is not parrallel with the axle beam.... Was thinking it was bent at the main frame but looking closer it looks to be bent at the keel on purpose and rear one looks to match it...

OOPS!
Cool.

The well service company just showed up. Said I need a new pump... $1100 installed! :eek:

Got them to adjust the switch pressure settings so that the pump shuts off now, albeit at 40psi instead of 50psi. But that's a temporary fix since the impeller is worn out on the pump and there's no telling how much longer it'll last. Sigh. :blue:​

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
get a few quotes on the job, start a bidding war :). Im in Ga and its still 4-5 hours away from me. At least you might get to see the fall season of leaves changing maybe if the trip actually happened. Sorry, didnt mean to start a road trip plan for ya. Im still trying to get a motor, and im still looking for another fixer upper.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
get a few quotes on the job, start a bidding war :). Im in Ga and its still 4-5 hours away from me. At least you might get to see the fall season of leaves changing maybe if the trip actually happened. Sorry, didnt mean to start a road trip plan for ya. Im still trying to get a motor, and im still looking for another fixer upper.
Yep, am working on getting other quotes. The guys who were here did say that they sometimes have used pumps which they'll give me for free and just charge installation labor of about $350-400 or so. That's one option. Can't remember if he said the pump would have a guarantee or not. And I dug through the paperwork from my home purchase here and found the original well folks. Will contact them too.

So if I have to generate funds in order to get the well fixed, maybe I could do so for that Chief at the same time too... if I can get enough. :lol:

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
2000 Yamaha 115 four stroke, 2000 tandem trailer, 1989 Starcraft Mariner 210 - Project boat - needs work to repair corrosion.

Thoughts?
Can you fix this damage?
Is the price out of line?

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/boa/5287322647.html
$6000 for a boat that has serious corrosion problems requiring complete dismantling to repair? I'd pass and find something a lot better for less money.

64osby

Admiral
The motor would be nice, but as it is can't be tested. Wouldn't buy the hull even if I was using your money.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
2000 Yamaha 115 four stroke, 2000 tandem trailer, 1989 Starcraft Mariner 210 - Project boat - needs work to repair corrosion.

Thoughts?
Can you fix this damage?
Is the price out of line?

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/boa/5287322647.html

INSANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! literally a trashed hull!!!!! the boat is for parts only!!! youd have to weld on a whole new rear end of the boat....like cutting 1/4 of the boat off the back and welding on a new section......totally unfeasible

bob

64osby

Admiral
^^^ If it is the glue down plank vinyl it would probably work well as long as the wood deck is sealed properly.

If it is the snap lock floating floor not a good option IMO.

bk7799

Cadet
Price is probably mostly for the motor if its in great condition i would think

I was thinking along the same lines.

$600 as smokeonthewater called out would be what I expect a 2000 model tandem trailer to cost. 4 new tires would be $300 easy I bet. I just didn't know if corrosion like this on the 89 Starcraft was repairable? I have seen some awesome rebuilds and know its hard to find a good hull, motor and trailer package ready for the water. I don't have $30,000 for a Lund or new deep v with the same specs and motor so I am willing to do some work if needed.

Thanks for the feedback.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
You'll have take a look, we all have some corrosion to deal with when rebuilding tin boats as long as it isn't too severe it can be killed and repaired in most cases.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
When I buy a junk/project boat with an unknown untestable engine I pay no more than I know I can get out of the trailer... Tires are freebies with the trailer....

Sticking to this keeps me from losing my donkey when ugly surprises rear up.