Starboard Cylinders Running Hot

Hennysemitara

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Aloha everyone i got my motor going but now the starboard cylinders are running hot. i overheated a while ago, cooked the port cylinder head so i replaced port side head and gaskets, deflectors, and i also replaced the thermostats. started her up today, running fine, but the starboard side is running about 30 degrees hotter.i used a laser thermometer. i assume i have to do a head job on the starboard side also? compression was 120 on all cylinders. motor is a 140 johnson 2 stroke, 1984.

interalian

Commander
Hey, if your deflectors were bad on one side they're probably bad on the other as well. I'd assumed you removed BOTH heads based on your other threads.

Hennysemitara

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I didnt remove both heads. Im sure the deflectors on the other side are bad also. Gonna work on it today.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Your engine will overheat at idle if the bleed holes in the thermostat valve body are not open/clear. When you overhauled your stat housing did you check those bleed holes? Not unusual for them to fill up with sand, debris...

Hennysemitara

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So i cleared out the water jacket on cylinder and head changed the deflectors, and its still running hot, has new thermostats and water pump. What else could it be??

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
At this point, I'd remove the head covers and see if the head cooling passages may have filled with sand/debris. (you do not need to remove the heads for this.)

Hennysemitara

Petty Officer 2nd Class
At this point, I'd remove the head covers and see if the head cooling passages may have filled with sand/debris. (you do not need to remove the heads for this.)

i did that, already, luckily none of the bolts broke, there was quite a bit of crud inside, and i cleaned it pretty good.

interalian

Commander
Try taking off the Stbd hose at the thermostat housing, run it and see if you're getting water through. If not, blockage. If so, bad thermostat or plugged bleed hole in thermostat block.

Fed

Commander
Are you running it on muffs, in a barrel or on the water?
Muffs need plenty of water (over flowing), water level in barrel needs to be well above the water pump.

You could disconnect the 2 rubber hoses that enter the thermostat housing, give it a run and gauge the water flow & temps where it comes out of the hoses.

Hennysemitara

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Try taking off the Stbd hose at the thermostat housing, run it and see if you're getting water through. If not, blockage. If so, bad thermostat or plugged bleed hole in thermostat block.
I will try that, ill let u know how it goes.

Hennysemitara

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Are you running it on muffs, in a barrel or on the water?
Muffs need plenty of water (over flowing), water level in barrel needs to be well above the water pump.

You could disconnect the 2 rubber hoses that enter the thermostat housing, give it a run and gauge the water flow & temps where it comes out of the hoses.

I run it on muffs. The thing is, would it matter cause the temp would still be the same on both sides right? Ill disconnect the hose tommarow see how that goes.

Hennysemitara

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So heres the thing, very strange, port is cool starboard is hot. But when i shot the lazer at the port side thermostat hose it read hot. And when i shot the lazer at the starboard thermostat hose, it read cool. Cant wait to fix it i like go fish

Fed

Commander
Probably the starboard thermostat is shut not allowing any water flow.
Take the starboard hose off.