Son broke arm at school. Who pays?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigprairie1

Commander
Re: Son broke arm at school. Who pays?

...approximately how much money are we talking about here?
How much is covered and how much is out of pocket?
BP

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Just to add..................yes its a sheety situation.............and your son seems to be a innocent victim here.............your concerns looking forward are well founded.....................I would keep in close contact with the school and all parties involved................and even start a dialog based on the facts and the probable out come resulting from the fracture. I hope you sons recovery is complete and swift........................................................ Back in the day this would have been handled without the assistance of lawyers or the courts. The school would have contacted BOTH kids parents for a face to face meeting to resolve any issues....................Of course that was then.................this is now.

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

In Florida, at the start of the school year you would have been offered insurance to cover such accidents if you did not already have coverage.
Maybe the schoold being dodgy was their way of taking the time to see if you had that coverage.
If not, then your insurance from work should apply.
If there was malicious intent to harm your kid, then maybe there would be blame involved. If so, someone else may be responsible for paying your deductibles.
Seems a shame if he was just an innocent bystander that you would not be able to have someone else's insurance cover his medical needs.

WizeOne

Commander

...then possibly try to get the parents to be responsible for at least some of the costs....

That is definitely a responsible approach. Place the responsibility at the door of the responsible.

KeyWestBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have talked to the school. They say their liability insurance doesn't cover accidents. :confused: I'm wondering what it does cover? At this point I'm not going to push the school. But I am looking into talking with the parents. I will let you know what happens.

WizeOne

Commander

.... They say their liability insurance doesn't cover accidents. :confused:

Sad that you are confused on this issue. It certainly plays right into the hands of the legal crowd who knew that they could convince the gullible and establish 'deep pockets tort laws' by playing the 'fairness' game.

.... I'm wondering what it does cover?

Most likely it covers those issues that the school is rightly responsible for, like leaving an open ditch or having a piece of playground equipment break or maybe even having an ongoing altercation occuring that was witnessed by an employee who took no action to stop it. Sheesh!

Using your logic, if the same thing happened to your son while playing in a neighbors yard (by a child not of the neighbor), you would feel the neighbor to be responsible

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

I have talked to the school. They say their liability insurance doesn't cover accidents. :confused: I'm wondering what it does cover? At this point I'm not going to push the school. But I am looking into talking with the parents. I will let you know what happens.

If your son was intentionally pushed to the ground................it's not an accident, as such. The school may be saying their not responsible for the actions of the student who shoved your son to the ground................which they should not be IMO. Had you son tripped, fallen and broken his arm on the playground under his own accord it may well be a different issue. Looking into dialog with the other parents is the correct approach (again IMO).......................But I would attempt to do it through the school.

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

First of all as I said in my earlier post, I am not looking to sue anyone "at the drop of a hat". Also your remark implies that it was a "fight" and my son was at fault. It was not a fight, there were witnesses and he was standing there minding his own business and was pushed down by another kid. My only concern is if this runs into excessive out of pocket costs or loss of function of some kind then then possibly try to get the parents to be responsible for at least some of the costs.

Thanks,
KWB

I asked if your boy was the cause of the fight, I did not say he was the cause of the fight. In my eyes any kind of forceful touching (like a push) is a fight to me.

That is definitely a responsible approach. Place the responsibility at the door of the responsible.

Thank you, you took the words right out of my mouth.

That sounds like a plan.

Back years ago there was a fight at a public elementary/middle school. There was one boy bigger then the other, the bigger boy beat the heck out of the smaller one and gave the boy permanent back injuries, the school was not held responsible for this the parents and big boy (that caused the fight and did all the damage) was held responsible.

WizeOne

Commander

....the school was not held responsible for this the parents and big boy (that caused the fight and did all the damage) was held responsible.

That would be too logical! The fact is, the school would be an easier mark if they would just lay down. They are the ones that have the potentially easy to reach 'deep pockets'. And as I have described before, 'deep pockets' have been ingrained in this society. Current case in point!:rolleyes:

Hoss the Hermit

Chief Petty Officer

Get a lawyer, sue everybody that ever went to that school

Kenneth Brown

Captain

I gotta disagree with the masses here. In an unprovoked attack the school is responsible. They show it by placing teahers/aides/coaches on the rec yards to watch the kids. They put up fences to keep the kids away from the street. They do all these things because they ARE responsible for your children. From the time a student gets on a bus till he arrives AT HOME (not the place where the bus drops him/her at) the school is responsible. If it happened to my child you'd damn sure better believe I'd forward all bills to the school. I would have also used the schools address when at the ER.

WizeOne

Commander

I gotta disagree with the masses here. In an unprovoked attack the school is responsible. They show it by placing teahers/aides/coaches on the rec yards to watch the kids. They put up fences to keep the kids away from the street. They do all these things because they ARE responsible for your children. From the time a student gets on a bus till he arrives AT HOME (not the place where the bus drops him/her at) the school is responsible. If it happened to my child you'd damn sure better believe I'd forward all bills to the school. I would have also used the schools address when at the ER.

Another case in point. The masses have been thoroughly deluded. If you do not want to subject your children to the uncertainties of life, keep them at home and homeschool them. Just because you choose to send your children to the great baby sitters does not mean that they are responsible for every eventuallity.

No school, public or private, can provide one on one monitering for every child. They can set policies, they can be observant of any ongoing problems but they cannot possibly intercede in every little momentary conflict.

This is your responsibilty KB and the responsibilty of the parents of any offending child. The school is not culpable in this scenario.

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

The school is responsible just like Mr Brown stated. From the time they get on the school bus until they get home. That's why they carry insurance.

Quote WizeOne: "Just because you choose to send your children to the great baby sitters does not mean that they are responsible for every eventuallity."

Yes it does. If not them, then who is?

"great babysitter" ? Where are they suppose to get an education? That is a irresponsible remark.

"No school, public or private, can provide one on one monitering for every child."

Yes they can and they do everyday.

Let the your insurance company deal with it.

gstanton

Chief Petty Officer

Another thought here... who do you suppose pays for the schools insurance? YOU DO!

zach103

Commander

so i was wrong he just tore a couple ligements and tendons . but our insurance paid for it.. i guess if ours didn't my parents would have gone at the school

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Herein lies a perfect example of the Deep Pockets Syndrome that the Legal community has infected us with, ie, go after the ones with the money regardless of their culpability and to train the populace to think that this is the right and moral scheme of things. Seems like they have done a pretty good job, huh?

A simple illustrative example is that on an icy day you slip and fall in the parking lot of a store. Act of nature, right? Wrong! It is the responsibility of the parking lot owner.

It is a vehicle that is foisted on us by legislators that are predominantly attorneys. Lawyers cannot make money if their is no one to sue. Insurance companies are not blameless either. The more they can make someone else liable for your problems, the more insurance they can claim you need to pony up for. Don't forget, insurance companies on the whole, keep some percentage (as profit) of our collective premiums even after claims are paid out. The more calculated premiums they collect, the more profit.

It is a sad state of affairs that we, as a society, are the worse off for.

...a position easy to agree with....if it's someone else's ox that's getting gored.

WizeOne

Commander

The school is responsible just like Mr Brown stated. From the time they get on the school bus until they get home. That's why they carry insurance.

Quote WizeOne: "Just because you choose to send your children to the great baby sitters does not mean that they are responsible for every eventuallity."

Yes it does. If not them, then who is?

"great babysitter" ? Where are they suppose to get an education? That is a irresponsible remark.

"No school, public or private, can provide one on one monitering for every child."

Yes they can and they do everyday.

Let the your insurance company deal with it.

That's right Plainsman. That is why we are faced with collectively providing you with health care, insuring your retirement, bailing you out when you take out an irresponsible home mortgage, etc, etc.

I guess you, along with KWB feel that the actual perpetrator has no responsibility here? I guess not, they might not have money to pay so you think it is just fine that the entity you choose to foist your child off on would be forced to bear the brunt of someone elses actions.

Another case in point for my first contention.

cmchesse

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This is a prime example of the foolishness that has brought down our society. It was an accident. Get your son taken care of and deal with it. Not everything is about having someone or something to blame. Not everything is about money or monetary gain. Say you sued and the school paid you millions. It would not make your child's injury go away. At most it would cause all your friends and neighbors to pay extra to cover the judgement.

In my opinion, you have put way to much thought into this. Teach your child not to be a victim and move on with life. Before he knows it, it will be all better.

Avoid the urge to continue on with this foolishness.

D

DJ

As stated, run this through your insurance. If your insurance company thinks they have a claim against someone else, they'll do so, It's called "subregation".

You don't need to be in the middle of this. Move on.

Best wishes to your young one.

WizeOne

Commander

so i was wrong he just tore a couple ligements and tendons . but our insurance paid for it.. i guess if ours didn't my parents would have gone at the school

Your parents? For your child? The delusion continues!:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.