Someone shoot me before the frying pan swings.

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer
Well done on breaking the news! Now get it home so we can see some resto pics.

Last edited:

64osby

Admiral
I'll post a few pics here. But thinking the restoration thread should be in the restoration section not here in Tin city. Obviously not a SC.

We need the powers to be to make a Tin boat restoration section so all the great tin boats can be viewed in one area. Or is this that area?

Grabbed my son and picked up my daughter from work at 4pm. Told them we were running an errand. Drove to the house, showed the kids and they laughed. "So your just taking it" said my son. My daughter asked if I paid $300?

Hooked up the trailer and pulled it out of the garage. Used one of those cheap little pumps to inflate the tires. At the same time the hubs were greased and was able to get one light to work. Then the grueling drive home, all of 10.3 miles. Total time picking up the boat 1 hour 10 minutes.

Here she is at home.
IMAG05001.jpg

IMAG04741.jpg

Found it interesting that the seam where the side meets the bottom is 1/3 riveted 2/3 welded.

IMAG04791.jpg

Something that might have to be fixed sooner then later.

IMAG04841.jpg

The floor is epoxy coated and tabbed to the walls and transom which is also epoxy coated. There is no bilge.

IMAG04441.jpg

Yes the floor is shot and it has poured in foam.
IMAG04461.jpg

So let me know if this Tinny belongs here or there.

64osby

Admiral
Thanks to all for the congrats and my glad to pass my strategy along to those in need.

The Admiral is great, after getting in the house after parking it and taking tons of pics, she asked if I was happy now! In a nice way.:joyous:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Looks like a great rig... mixed welded & rivets interesting....

64osby

Admiral
JBC - Looks maybe deceiving. I have a sneaking suspicion that this is a non stringer hull. No fasteners on the bottom of the boat. No visible transom supports.

Looks like the foam maybe structural and flotation, (like 1973chieftain's Mirrorcraft http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...r-tinny-mirrocraft-center-console-resto/page3)

They only made Medallion II with Armor-Hull for 3 years from what I can find. Lone Star and Chrysler made the Medallion hull for at least 10 years. The Medallion hull is a stringer hull.

Pretty sure the first step is going to be weighing the hull to see if the foam is waterlogged.

I can also see that the floor and transom have been replaced before.
IMAG04611.jpg

Don't think the factory would leave the splashwell drains like this.:eek:

IMAG04971.jpg

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I hope this doesn't turn out like 73's Mirrorcraft. His was a real basstodd hybrid with the glass liner. :eek: The deck and transom being replaced by a PO may be a good omen, 64.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
^^^ Yeah I agree if it was done right, from what I see there in the pic, it isn't likely.

64osby

Admiral
Weighed the boat today. :watermelon:

I'll be heading over to the restoration forum. :madgrin: :crazy:

Look for a new thread coming soon.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Looking forward to seeing it....

Wish there was more interesting tin boats being rehab'd over there. There is a few but they are far & few between. This will be a good one to follow.... Now where did I leave my Duracraft topic buried for safe keeping :cold: :rolleyes:

You and Luke can compare notes on vintage LS's