Sewing machines Singer #31-15 comments

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Most of my work is in Vinyl so this is the correct needle for me. I guess time will tell if my Son's Canopy Center Semi flat Felled seam starts to leak or not.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
It may be fine for vinyl especially if you aren't using a true commercial walking foot machine. A more powerful commercial machine does not have the problem of the needle sticking in the vinyl. The problem with vinyl will always be the ripping of the stitch through the vinyl and the problem with the leather needle is that it can make it more susceptible to that.

If I was using a leather needle on vinyl, I would likely not want to ever backstitch or you will have swiss cheese. Tie the threads instead to keep the stitch from coming out.

With Sunbrella, the leather needle is not only making a bigger hole but it is actually cutting the fibers of the woven cloth which will weaken the seam over time.

Last edited:

wellcraft-classic210

Master Chief Petty Officer
Glad to see conversations at this level of detail -- Lots to be learned here

Bruce B -- Do you find solar fix any harder to work with ? I am assuming that a long life thread -- Goretex or something and spendy. It seems Sumbrella could outlast polyester threads per the advertisements but I have no personal expreriences with that as a relative Newbie.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I have yet to use it. I bought it awhile ago. My machine is at my sister in law's house right now so I will get it back in a few months and try it. The Sunbrella cover that I made for my Wellcraft is currently 12 years old and the stitching is starting to fail so I was going to possibly restitch that. I am going to make a cover for my outboard motor pretty soon as well. I have to decide wether I want to make a whole new cover for the Wellcraft or just restitch troublesome spots.

Supposedly, Solarfix is way easier to use than Tenara. Tenara will twit on you. I will likely have to play with the tension in the bobbin a little bit to get the stitch right at first. That's another reason I just replaced my bobbin carrier. It was getting difficult to adjust the tension on it.

wellcraft-classic210 So curious, what kind of needle did you use for your vinyl work?

Last edited:

wellcraft-classic210

I used # 22 per the link & info. below and v92 polyester for the recent vinyl and canvas work. Not sure if that was optimal.

http://www.sailrite.com/Needles-135x17-22-Pack-10

Sewing Machine Needles 135x17 #22 are high quality, round point needles. The most common needle type, these needles can be use for all general sewing. These industrial needles feature a sharp point and completely round shanks with no burrs. Burrs on needle shanks can be problematic and cause separation of threads and skipped stitches.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yeah I read about the Leather needles and their " Cutting" action. I have not seen that or experienced that in my projects. I Always backstitch! Again no issues with cutting, weak seams etc. I'll see if I can get some close ups of the vinyl and compare a regular #18 needle hole with a #19 Leather hole. Might be interesting to see what turns up. I agree about the #20 needle on the WF. That's What I use on mine. #22 or #23 would be for V138 Thread. I've only tried using that once on some real Saddle Bags. Boy, what a PITA!!!! Talk about Heavy Leather!!!! I finally got the job done but almost had to do it one stitch at a time. that's the job that made be build the speed reducer/controller.

wellcraft-classic210

Bruce B
Curious -- Do the compound walking foot machines like yours have issues with needles bending under heavy loads ( thicker materials , zippers , plastic welting etc ) and hitting the spring plate or shuttle hardware ?

Thats one of the reasons I have been using larger needles as it helps avoid the damage & resulting thread fraying issues.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I break needles occasionally. That's why I buy a bunch of them at one time. If a needle bends, it's not a machine issue. You buy needles depending on the fabric and thread size. That is the only criteria.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
That's a great video but just in case there are those out there with machines that have a horizontal hook...i.e. Juki's and others, here's how those are put into correct time. My old REX 11-155r has a Horizontal Hook machine. My Home machine Singer 15-91 is also a Horizonal Hook but, Singer saw fit to LOCK the hook in place on the shaft so that it can never get out of time. That's a Great feature IMHO.

Last edited:

wellcraft-classic210

Bruce B. That a great video -- You can see how well those machines were made with the gears and heavy parts. Compound walking foot is really impressive.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Bruce B. That a great video -- You can see how well those machines were made with the gears and heavy parts. Compound walking foot is really impressive.
Yes they are. Very well made.

One of the better videos around that walk you through the whole procedure without a bunch of noise and with good camera work.

Last edited: