Sewing machines Singer #31-15 comments

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Why do you think the Subrella is harder on the machine that vinyl?? Ned, I'm absolutely positive that the Singer Model 15-91 will be able to handle all of your sewing needs for you boat upholstery.
I have done both and it's not even close. Vinyl is like cutting through butter compared to Sunbrella.

The topic of this thread was about a 31-15 he was looking at, not a 15-91

Last edited:

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
You are correct ... The topic was 31-15. I apologize to the OP, I got lost when it derailed into a discussion of other machines and their capabilities...my only point was you can do nice quality upholstery with the "home" machines.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
There are a lot of the old machines I have seen that are gear driven or rotary .... Are there any advantages in those machines over belt driven ones ?

Ned L

Commander
Thanks for all the contributions here! Though I posted the topic on a 31-15, all the posts are equally helpful.
I have ruled out the 31-15 for a couple of reasons. 1) the table (and therefore the whole machine) is so big, 2) it is really an industrial version of a 'home weight' machine, and seems like it wouldn't see through anything more than a home machine, and 3) I already have a couple of machines, which bases on the comments and contributions here may well be adequate.
I'll post some pictures of what I have to work with ( my wife's Husqvarma is not one I can touch. Lol)

Ned L

Commander
Some beautiful work here!
To sort of close the loop here, I'm thinking the machines I already have should be ok for what I want to do.
I have this "Spartan", which turns out to be a bare bones version of a Singer K192 (by Singer). It looks like this is a fairly good straight stitch machine.
ry%3D400

Then I have this "National" machine that I have used a fair bit. Also a straight stitch machine.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

And finally this "New Home" machine that is a Zig-Zag machine and runs nicely.

ry%3D400

I just finished up a new "Navy top" (bimini top) on this one, so it is probably up to the job as well.

wellcraft-classic210

Master Chief Petty Officer
Sounds like you have a lot of possibilities !

Your spartan looks a lot like a singer 15 -- and similar to a homecraft clone I own

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Sin...y-Sewing-Machine-Clean-Serviced-/161032707438

Assuming its similar in most or all ways -- it should be up to the job -- but a little slow with probably a 3/16 max stitch length and may need some help feeding.

I found I could get a little more stitch length If i pulled off the cover plate to allow more travel on the setting lever

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Here's some more things to consider. All are belt driven machines and this has a direct effect on their Punching power. If you have welting on your cushions you'll be going thru 6 layers of the material you choose.with a heavy thread and large ( #18) needle I did my first job with this style of machine and was constantly fiddling with the tension, presser foot and having to "Help" pull the material thru the machine which at times had an adverse effect on the stitch length and tightness. Not saying they won't work but there will be issues. I'd bet the New Home would be up to doing the best job of the three. It probably as Nylon Gearing sooo, you might have a catastrophic failure before your done. You might want give it a good grease job with vaseline before you start the project.

wellcraft-classic210

This may be old news but 1 suggestion

Run the largest needle you can and use V69 thread

-- #18 is good and #20 is even better ( see the link below )

It will punch a bigger hole and help with tension as the machine tries to pull the stitches tight.

It is less likely to bend in heavy fabrics & which can put nicks on your machine parts which can in turn tear threads. Be careful pushing the work through for that reason as well.

http://www.sailrite.com/Organ-Sewing-Machine-Needles-System-130-20-Pack-10

wellcraft-classic210

I like v92 as well but I am under the impression that its too thick for a home machine too use per sailrite --

Would you agree?

Ned L

Commander
All great information, and all appreciated. I am getting a real education. I'm still a little ways off from being able to get started, so this is all good. Thank you.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
For canvas work, V-92 is the minimum and v-138 is probably actually preferred. The Solarfix thread I am going to use for future projects will be equivalent to V-138

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Uhmm, doesn't seem to do that for me. In fact it's the type of needle recommended for Canvas and Vinyl...

Needle Points
Needles fall into three primary categories -- ball point, sharp, and rounded-sharp. It is important to use the correct needle. Ball point needles are designed to avoid making holes in knit or loosely woven materials. The cross fibers which constitute the knit or loosely woven materials are relatively far apart as compared to those in tightly woven materials. If a knit strand of thread is cut with a sharp needle, it produces a hole that will enlarge when the loose fibers pull back from the cut. To prevent this, the ball point needle is designed to push aside the individual strands of the knit. This assumes that the ball point needle point is in good condition. Sharp needles are designed for woven fabrics. Because of the tightness of the weave, individual cut fibers will not pull away and make holes. For this exact reason it is important not to use ball point needles on wovens. The blunt force of a ball point will tear through the fibers and actually pull them in the process, resulting in uneven, irregular embroidery and damage to the fabric. Sharp needles can be used on all wovens as well as dense fabrics such as leather, vinyl, canvas, etc.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Leather needles are indeed a sharp type but they have a wedge shaped end which causes a bigger hole. A bigger hole means more water leaks especialy for boat covers. It's the last thing you want to do.

http://www.schmetzneedles.com/learni...edle-chart.pdf

This is what they say about leather needles
Fabric Use
: Leather,
artificial leather, heavy non-woven synthetics.
Do not use on knit or woven fabrics.
Sunbrella is a woven fabric.

The best needle for Sunbrella is the "blue" type schmetz needle which Sailrite also sells.

http://www.sailrite.com/Sewing-Machi...-UY-128-GAS-19

Sailrite is an expensive place to buy needles. I buy mine on eBay. Sharpsewing is an excellent place to buy from and I use them for most of my Consew parts as well.

Last edited: