Second mortgage for a carb?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I suspect the tank is full of water and crud, so the anti siphon valve is plugged, the carb is plugged

Randy stoner

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Good news sort of. No water in the tank, i changed the water fuel filter and the fuel pump is working great. So back to square one. The carb. I can not find any numbers what so ever on this carb other than it is a holley 2 bbl. Without numbers i can not get a kit for it. I considered getting a new one but thats crazy so onto kijiji to see about a used one. Has to be better than what i have and willing to chance it. But what carb is on the 1991 OMC 3.0 chev motor? Anyone got one they want to sell, I would be interested as well.

randy

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Tried----King's Prop repair----In Ontario.-----Might have a good used one.

Randy stoner

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I cant reference any of these numbers on line for a rebuild kit. Can anyone identify the carb and kit number? Holly on the float bowl Its a two barrel

thanks

randy

Attachments

• holly snip.png
    holly snip.png
    888.4 KB · Views: 6

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

The only part I would be questioning, is the Power Valve in the Kit. Holley is all over the Map with the Power Valves in Marine Carbs. You will likely have to buy one the same as the old one from a Speed Shop

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Holley oem power valves are clearly stamped with a vacuum value and are available for purchase individually from Holley

Not uncommon to have issues when tuning a carb to a motor and have a backfire. This ruins the power valve so having a few on hand is a good idea

Fun Times

Staff member
The power valve size to use will most probable be a 2.5.

Randy stoner

Petty Officer 3rd Class
update I had the carb rebuilt and it idles nice and seems to rev good. Runs rough at 1.5 turns up from seated on both sides but 1 turn out seems good. Does anyone know what the accel pump adjusment should be? Also i have a vacume line coming up from the fuel pump and i cant remember where it goes. Holly 2 bbl.

randy

Bondo

Staff member
update I had the carb rebuilt and it idles nice and seems to rev good. Runs rough at 1.5 turns up from seated on both sides but 1 turn out seems good. Does anyone know what the accel pump adjusment should be? Also i have a vacume line coming up from the fuel pump and i cant remember where it goes. Holly 2 bbl.

randy
Ayuh,..... For the accl pump, where ever the motor doesn't bog or stumble when you drop the hammer,.....

The line from the fuel pump should be tygon, so you can see through it, 'n dump down the throat of the carb, as it's there to tell you the pump's diaphragm has ruptured,...
It's not a vacuum line,.....

Randy stoner

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Bondo, so where does that line hook too? I did find a small black hose under the front of the carb not sure what that does of perhaps they connected the two, i dont know.

randy

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Usually VP has a fitting on the spark arrestor when using Holley carbs

Randy stoner

Petty Officer 3rd Class
scott, im kind of dumb on some of the terminology. What is "VP" and what is the four inch black hose open to the air coming out of the bottom of the carb? Is that where you connect that tygon line Bondo mentioned? You cant just run it into the throat of the carb loose, it has to hook to something.

randy

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Some Holly carbs have the nipple for the tygon hose on the air horn, ones that don’t you have to use a flame arrestor with a nipple built into it.

Randy stoner

Petty Officer 3rd Class
lou, just about the idle adjustment screw on the choke side there is hole that has no nipple in it or anything for that matter. is that where it should be and the carb was rebuilt, im wondering if the guy didnt put it back in

randy