sealant for window?

natsgrampy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1989 Sea Ray 200 closed bow. The window / hatch that opens on the bow has had the glass knocked out of the frame. There is no damage to either the frame or glass.
I am trying to find out what the sealant is that holds the glass in place. The sealant looks like a rubberized silicone sealant. There is one on Iboats.com called marine silicone sealant. Good for glass, aluminum and wood.
Would this be the right stuff? Or is there something special for this?

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander
Re: sealant for window?

You will want it to be UV resistant, and weatherproof, but that would probably work. Personally, I'd think about using 4200 or 5200 for the strength.

natsgrampy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You will want it to be UV resistant, and weatherproof, but that would probably work. Personally, I'd think about using 4200 or 5200 for the strength.

Are these silicon sealants? Are they available thru Iboats.com?

natsgrampy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank You and Thank You! Ordered.
Great help as always

natsgrampy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

picked up 3m 5200 silicone sealant at NAPA and put window back in the frame.

I used a razor blade from a box cutter and screw driver to remove old sealant. cleand the glass and aluminum frame with acetone resealed and pressed window back into frame and weighted it down with 1/2 a cinder block. Crossed my fingers and wait.

The cleaning of the frame and glass took the longest.

Thanks for all the help.....

fishrdan

Admiral

Sounds like you done good.

5200 isn't silicone based, it's a polyurethane marine sealant and I think, probably the best thing to use for your window. 5200 is moisture cured, so if you want to kick off the cure, cover your window in a wet towel/cloth then a plastic bag to hold in the moisture, but don't let anything touch the sealant until it's cured. (5200 can take a long time to cure unless it's in a high moisture environment.)