Mercruiser 350 315HP MPI fuel problems?

richard20541

Recruit
Hope someone can help. I have a 2000 Ski Centurion with the captioned motor. I was skiing with friends on the weekend and the first day we did about 6 sets, stopping in between and the motor ran perfectly. We docked for about an hour or 2 and then came out and took off from the dock and quickly backfired and the engine died and paddled into shore. We played around with things for a few more hours and the engine ran fine again, stopping and starting until again we came into shore and stopped for a few hours. I just replaced the fuel water separator and the fuel pump seems to be running fine (creates a suction when I have the fuel water separator off and try to start the engine). I can`t find a fuel filter on this boat so assume that the fuel water separator is the only filter? The problem seems to be fuel related but it seems a mystery that it only happens after cooling off for an hour or so. The boat is located hours from a service centre so I am hoping someone might have run into this before and have a quick fix!!
Re: request for serial number: found 2 serial numbers on the engine. One on the lower right of the engine with serial# L399524 and another Block stamp with the number 10243880. I'm not sure which one is the actual serial number??

Last edited:

tommays

Admiral
Re: Mercruiser 350 315HP MPI fuel problems?

You will need the engine serial # as three are many different merc EFI systems and they do not follow years the way a car might

You could have a motor made in 1999 ECT

Tommays

richard20541

Recruit

I found 2 serial numbers on the engine. One on the lower right of the engine with serial# L399524 and another Block stamp with the number 10243880. I'm not sure which one is the actual serial number??

richard20541

Recruit

For anyone else with this problem.....I put in a check valve to stop the hot water from flowing back across the fuel cooler and that has solved the problem permanently. No problems for 2 years now