Sea Nymph 165TX Bass Boat

loose rivet

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm looking at a Sea Nymph bass boat for $800, its on a bunk trailer, has a blown up Mercury 60hp motor, needs all new carpet, and the forward keel is a bit dinged up from rough use. The guy wants $900.
I've got a good running 40hp I would run on it.
To be used as is, the boat needs a motor and steering cable. To look right, it'll need all new carpet, four new seats, and at the very least some finessing of the front sheet metal. The dents up front look like wave pounding, I can see the outline of the two forward cross members from the outside. He swears it don't leak.
Its also got a bunch of speaker holes cut into the deck panels all over that will need to be filled in. (No clue why anyone would want a booming stereo in a bass boat?). Worse yet, they're huge 6x9" speaker holes with rusted out old speaker frames.

The dash is faded, the carpet is weathered but the decks are aluminum, not wood, and the boat feels light, I can lift either end by hand, so I don't feel its water logged.

Several of the keel strips up front are damaged, one has a cracked weld on one side and will need to be re-welded.
I'm basically looking for function not looks, something I don't need to keep pretty all the time. I don't give a hoot about the beat carpet, it just has to float and not leak, the rest is no big deal.
I'm just at a loss for what one of these should sell for. I keep seeing similar boats for sale for $4000, but their not SeaNymph brand and have a different shape hull. This thing is more of a cross between a V hull and a Modified V hull. The rear of the hull is a deeper V than most, something I don't think I like. It also has no side rod lockers, only small storage lockers in the deck. There's no place to put a one piece rod below the deck.
The battered front, while not really noticeable also bothers me since there's a few lifted rivets and a crack along the keel strip. (The keel strip isn't a seam, just a welded on piece of V shaped aluminum to form a forward keel above the water line).
A couple of new aluminum panels would no doubt fix the speaker holes but some of the panels are welded in place.
The transom feels solid but its completely encased in welded aluminum. There is no access without cutting welded aluminum if it ever does need replacement.
The trailer its on needs bunks, all four are rotted but still holding, and both rims are rusty but have new tires on them, and the lights will need to be replaced.

Does it sound like its worth $800 or should I keep looking?

Hackster

Cadet
Re: Sea Nymph 165TX Bass Boat

To me, the question isn't how much $$ it's worth, but whether it's worth the hassle. Frankly, while I'm not afraid of a project, I don't think I'd take this one for free. Keep looking.

NYBo

Admiral

Let's take stock: Bad motor, shot interior, dented hull.:eek:

I love a challenge, but this one would have to be a lot closer to free for me to bite.

joelybob

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would offer him 400.00 It most be worth that much. without seeing it that is just a guess. remember buy low sell high:joyous:

BonairII

Commander

If you're not afraid of a project.....and the price is right...."go for it". The key is to make sure you don't pay too much for it.

Aluminum boats are easy to rebuild.

A pic would help us.

reelmess

Seaman Apprentice

My only concern would be if the hull has any hidden damage. Dents are one thing but leaks, cracks, and structure damage are another.
Dents mainly above the water line very well could be just from careless trailer loading, but unless you remove the entire front deck and all the boxes you can't tell for sure whether its cosmetic or worse.
If the hull had no dents or damage the rest is all bolt on parts, if your not an aluminum welder or if you don't have access to someone who is, I'd steer clear of it. Even if you were to just flip it, the dents would all but ruin its value, and a crack makes it basically junk in my eyes.
Even any value as scrap is gone in the labor needed to gut the hull to the point where you could scrap it.
The trailer may be worth more than the boat if you were to fix the bunks.
Again, how much work are you looking to make yourself?

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

You've stated you already have available another powerplant/engine so the 2nd biggest question solved. You've also stated that appearence is unimportant so the real question remains. Is the hull structurally sound or repairable at a reasonable cost? That is the answer you need to find for yourself.

Personally I think they are asking way to much for what they have. Right now as-is you are really looking at a trailer and hull. Trailer at best is worth $200.00 in it's currant condition so is the hull worth $600.00? Not to me!

Example, I just purshased a 16' Alumacraft for $1100.00 it is sitting on a 5 year old Shoreland'r trailer that is worth almost what I paid for the whole rig. Along with this a got an almost new 55 # thrust trolling motor, working Humminbird, 2 batteries, 2 12gal fuel tanks, onboard duel battery charger, 3 new props, 3 new seats and a broken 1988 70hp Evinrude that easily has $500.00 worth of usable parts.

As-is with a replacement engine which is already on it it is easily worth double what I have into it. And all I did was to repower it.

loose rivet

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The one thing that keeps coming to mind about the whole deal is that it could have been a Hurricane Sandy boat, there's a ton of them around that got flooded or submerged here.
The trailer itself would sell for closer to a grand here, but finding someone with a suitable boat would be a longs hot. This style boat isn't as common here since NJ don't allow gas engines in non tidal water in all but one or two bigger lakes. Most freshwater rigs have electric motors only here and are much lighter.
The motor on the boat is seized, the lower unit missing its skeg, and the tilt won't budge. Someone has the power head apart and the plugs were left out, I wouldn't assume there's much there to part out or sell. The fuel tank is half full of gas that smells like paint thinner, and the fuel hoses are rotted off the tank and motor.
The tank is most likely fine but its trapped under the deck which is welded in place.
What I couldn't believe is that they would build a boat that you can't service? There's no access panel that can even be unriveted to get at the tank. I called and told the guy I'd go $400 tops, but I doubt that'll get the boat. I'll keep looking I guess.
The thing has been for sale for a while with no takers, so I figure I'm not the only one with concerns.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

The biggest reason it's been sitting for sale with no takes is because they are asking for way too much money.

Still goes back to the only value is in the trailer and hull. Whether it was sunk at one time has no bearing in this case. Being sunk isn't going to effect an aluminum hull unless it sunk and froze or sunk and beat to death in a current.

Either way I think it's a waste of time especially because of the asking price which the seller doean't appear to want to move on.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

The trailer its on needs bunks, all four are rotted but still holding, and both rims are rusty but have new tires on them, and the lights will need to be replaced.

Does it sound like its worth $800 or should I keep looking?

Sorry again but even the trailer from your discription sounds weak and neglected. Bunks are shot, not a big deal. Rims are rusty, big concern to me. If this is a tube built trailer how well is the steel framing? Tube trailers rust from the inside out which can't be easily seen of detected. Know what you're looking for!

loose rivet

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, I decided to play it this way, I drove by this morning and left a note on the boat and a phone number offering $200, cash.
I had pretty much figured I wasn't going to bother when the owner called me around 6PM saying he can't do $200, but will take $250.
I drove right over and bought it.
My first stop was at a small pond here to see if it leaked. I backed the thing into the water and let it floats for a good 20 minutes then winched it back up the trailer. To my surprise there's no leaks, the crack up front isn't through the hull skin, just a missed or bad weld along the forward keel strip. The strip isn't loose and the crack is about 5" long. I figure at this point its getting sanded, epoxied closed for cosmetic purposes and called fixed.

The trailer has two brand new tires on painted rims, the rims are peeling and rusted, but the owner gave me the old rims with the old tires, which look fine other than a few age cracks. The trailer is a 2005 Load Rite bunk trailer with LED lights, but the wiring is messed up at the plug. I towed it home with clip on tail lights but was able to get the original lights working afterwards with a new ground and new plug. The springs are rust free, the bearings are tight and quiet, but I'll still clean and repack them.
The one thing that I really like about this thing so far is the lack of wood inside the boat, everything is aluminum.
I also don't see any floatation? The only place it could be is below the lower floor?
I can see into every compartment and to the bottom of the boat, or at least to the carpeted inner floor.
When I returned this morning the dents up front were less then they were, the owner did some work from inside the one compartment and really made the dents almost unnoticeable. The bilge pump runs, the live well pumps both work, and so far everything else on the hull works as well, its just a bit weathered. The carpet really only has a few corner tears, I'm sort of thinking I'll just redye it for now and live with it, that way I won't be afraid to use it. The motor is junk, but has a lot of good parts. I pulled the motor, the power head wasn't seized, its the lower unit that locked up. The power head has almost no compression though.
The owner did give me the old 28hp Evinrude that he said came with it when he got it, which to me looks pretty promising. Its got good compression and has spark, I just need to find out if it runs. It was in the guys garage hanging from a rafter.
I'll have to figure out how to pull out the steering cable, its trapped behind the right side panels and won't budge, but I think it may also just be seized at the very end. I have it soaking in Kroil for now. Maybe I'll get lucky with the cable.
I'll be heading to the lumber yard for some new wood for the trailer bunks, the old wood is rotten on the ends and soft in a few places.
Should I use pressure treated or plain lumber since this is a wood boat? Or maybe roller bunks? The boat sits nice and low and I don't want to mess with the way it sits, so I'm thinking of just putting it back the way it is. It tows fantastic, I didn't even feel the thing behind my car on the ride home.
If the unexpected 28hp turns out to be good, or at least fixable, it'll feel like an even better deal.
My concern now is why on earth would someone sell something like this so cheap? Its basically why my first stop was to the closest pond to check for big leaks. The title is clear, the numbers match, even the trailer has its original paperwork. With similar boats in even lesser condition selling for well over $1500, I'll be scrutinizing this thing for a while now. When I first looked at it, I figured $900 sounded cheap, but took into account its faults, the owner willingly dropped his price right away to $800, then took $250. The boat was only for sale for a day, but on a back road, with no newspaper ads that I saw. When I got the title in hand and saw he was the original owner, it perplexed me even more. I'd be willing to guess he could have scrapped the whole thing for more money.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

So where's the pictures? Gotta see this one.

loose rivet

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It was dark and pouring rain by the time I got home, it started raining while I had it floating in the pond here.
I'll see if I can snap a few tonight.

loose rivet

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I got a quick shot of the boat tonight, its still soaked from the ride home last night.
Its not as bad as I first thought, I'm thinking of just hanging a smaller motor for now and seeing how it works out. If it needs more motor I have a few to choose from here.
I'm thinking that a 30hp will be fine. My thinking is that with the 30hp, it'll still be a clamp on motor, so I can switch easily between the 30hp in the river, and a 9.9hp for the restricted lakes here.
The boat needs four seats, I have to figure out what type of seats fit the pedestal stands. the lower seats are just fold down padded boat seats, I've got a gray/blue pair I can use for those.
The first order of business will be to give it a good scrubbing with some soap, its covered with mildew and tree dirt.
I had some concerns that it may have had time to get all its foam saturated with water but I can lift the stern off the trailer easily, or lift either side of the boat up as well, so its not very heavy.
So far I don't see any place where they could have put foam? The front area is completely visible, as is the rear area ahead of the transom, the only place not visible through a compartment lid is the space next to the fuel tank and live well. That area is boxed in aluminum and stops short of the transom by about 9".
I pulled the plastic drain screens out of the floor and I don't seen any foam below the shallow floor either.
The transom is rock solid from what I can tell, I removed the top cap and the wood looks solid from what I can see.

I let it float in the pond here for about 45 minutes or so and got nothing out of the bilge drain after.

I also have to replace or free up the steering cable, My guess is that its stuck at the motor end.

Attachments

• 165TXsm.JPG
    165TXsm.JPG
    135.7 KB · Views: 0

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

You are right it doesn't look nearly as bad as you 1st described it. I think you found something there.
A 30hp still might be a bit underpowered.

loose rivet

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think everyone that drives by here thinks so too, there were a bunch of offers on my door when I got home today, ranging from $2500 to $3500. I parked it behind my old truck for security, aluminum boats have been known to just disappear into thin air around here.
I was more trying to hide it, so people didn't think it was for sale but they stopped anyway. I'm also not on a main street. While a quick profit is tempting, I've wanted another boat like this ever since selling my last one over 20 years ago. Even for $3500, I'd not likely be able to find another one for that amount. I even called a few local dealers and cheapest used boat they had in this hull style was $3500 for a bare aluminum hull, no console, no steering, no interior, just a bare mod v jon boat. I'd have to spend $1400 on a trailer, plus still hang a motor. A tracker would be the cheap route to go but I've seen too many issues with their hulls.
I really like the all aluminum interior in this, knowing that it won't ever need wood floors replaced is a big plus.
I removed the two rear corner floor panels, the foam is in the two corners, its pour in foam in black plastic, the foam chunks lift out and it don't go all the way down. I'm assuming there's some up front on both sides as well but that floor takes more to remove.
All of the deck screws are stainless steel, they thread into trapped stainless steel nuts underneath, they came right out. There's no sign of any corrosion down in the hull. The only spots where I see corrosion is two small holes in the right upper transom about 3/16" in diameter. None anywhere else. The transom panel don't go all the way down, its only up high, about 12" from the top.
I'm liking how this is built more and more.
The fuse box takes glass fuses, and that looks pretty crusty, the contacts are gray looking and weathered, its only got a light snap on cover over top. I'll toss that in favor of something modern and water proof. The wiring under the dash is a nightmare, its got a huge 1.5" thick wire loom that runs into the side panel.
The hull isn't drilled for a motor, I only see clamp on marks on the transom, the dash and controls are set up for tilt and trim? The boat was sold by OMC, so I'm guessing it came new with an OMC motor?

What OMC motor came with power tilt and trim yet didn't use a BIA bolt pattern?
The clamp marks match a 30-35hp Evinrude motor, but that wouldn't have tilt and trim?
The dash has a tilt gauge, speedo, tach, voltmeter, and gas gauge.
I pumped the tank, I got 47 gallons of what smells like good fuel out of it.
That surprised me since the last registration on the boat is over 14 years old.
The trailer however is only 4 years old and fits the boat like a glove.
Either someone was running it without registration, or they bought a trailer for nothing.
The trailer was legally registered to the seller, but the registration expired after the first year.
I did some checking on the last owner, and a google search of his name showed that his wife
just won big in the lottery, which explains the brand new boat, truck, and sports car in the drive.
Maybe it explains why he dumped the boat cheap too?

The boat has a listed weight of around 650 lbs, which is lighter than my 15' aluminum V hull with two pedestal seats and wood floors.
I run a 15hp and a 25hp on that boat, both are plenty of power on that boat. My last mod V boat was a crappie special about a foot shorter and foot narrower than this boat but with stick steer and I ran a 15hp on that and got 23 mph out of it, I had run a 40hp on my old boat and it was too much, I couldn't keep the bow down. My old boat was a lot heavier than this boat since it had 3/4" wood all over it two live wells, a heavy front trolling motor, two 6 gallon gas tanks, and three group 27 deep cycle batteries.
I have the following motors in the garage that will work on this, a 1987 30hp Evinrude, a 1986 15hp Johnson, a 1992 Evinrude/Tracker 50hp, a 1986 Johnson 70hp, a 1979 Johnson 55hp, a 1980 Johnson 35hp, and two mid 70's Evinrude 25hp motors, all are long shaft remote control motors that could be ready to run with just new water pumps and maybe a carb cleaning at best. All were good running motors I've hung onto for future use.
I've also got a new in the box Minn Kota bow mount trolling motor that would work great on this boat vs. the remote control thing that came with it.

The big problem here is that there's a gas motor ban in fresh water in all but one of two lakes, and those have 10hp limits. So other than running the lower rivers, a big motor can be more a hindrance than a benefit. The water is also very shallow.

I find very little info on these online, the exact model is a 1993 TX165 Tournament Pro according to the decals.
My number one concern is making sure the hull is ok and further protected so it lasts. I intend to fill the 12 screw holes in the transom now holding transducers and speed tubes and mount a threaded aluminum block for those items. I'll tig weld up the holes or fill them permanently with JB Weld or Marine Tex.
The color is basically the same as gray primer but with a slight gloss. It'll be easy to match the color. The two corrosion holes will get ground out and filled.
The one thing I did notice this morning was that the transom knee brace is bolted in, it bolts onto a riveted on lower support. It looks as if the transom was made so it could be replaced from below if you removed all the decking. Luckily it seems rock solid so far. There's no drilled holes into the transom panel and no signs of any movement even with my 260 lbs standing on the lower unit.
The only bow dents that are still visible are showing in the pic at the very bottom, there's a few light depressions in the aluminum down low. Not enough for me to bother with.
I really like the recirculating livewell, it constantly fills, and pumps fresh water in and out. There's circulation pump at the through hull fitting that constantly pumps in fresh water while the old water drains back out. I want to make very sure this system is working right since a leak could be a real problem on the water. I let it fill during the water test the other day, and all looked fine but I didn't power up the whole system. I just let it fill on its own to look for leaks in the boat. I let it fill and then plugged the bottom of the livewell from inside the boat. On my old boat, instead of the livewell filling from the stern, it filled from a tube run straight down through the hull beneath the livewell.

NYBo

Admiral

I was picturing something much, much worse. You did well, IMO.

loose rivet

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The problem now is going to be not selling it, I've had a dozen guys stop and want to buy it, the best offer so far has been $5K. Another offered to trade me for a 2010 go fast boat with an I/O but I've got no interest in anything bigger, let alone an I/O boat.
I hid the boat behind the house for now, and chained it to a tree.

I really like the boat, and especially like how well it tows and launches. I was shocked at how well my 4 cylinder truck tows this rig.
It feels better behind the truck than my 12' boat does.

I went and had the boat weighed today, with the motor on it, and with the trailer, it weighed 1309 lbs at the CAT scale down the road.
I figure the motor is in the 210 lb range, the trailer about 350, so that leaves the rest as hull weight, including two anchors, two fish finders, and the trolling motor which was stashed in the front box, and a full tank of gas. I won't know the how much weight the gas is adding until I pump the tank out, it smells OK but I won't chance it. Its mower fuel as far as I'm concerned.
Either way, its pretty close to the advertised weight of the boat, so I'm not likely going to be dealing with any water weight in wet foam. I didn't think I would, but I like knowing for sure what I'm dealing with. The factory listing shows the boat weighing in at 654lbs dry. The fuel tank is at least 25 gallons, maybe more. I can't see the whole thing through the small hatch. The tattered seats are wet and holding some water too, and the carpet was even still wet when I weighed it.

The first order of business will be a good thorough cleaning the next warm day we get, that way I can really assess what it needs other than just the seats and motor. I'm basically sticking with the OMC motors since its wired that way, although I've got a super clean Mercury 50hp that would work well on it, its close to the year of the boat and it great shape.
The wiring under the dash is a mess, its going to take some doing to sort out what does what, there's more wires under the dash than on most cars.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

I'd a been hard pressed not to take the $3500.00