Sea Nymph 165TX Bass Boat

loose rivet

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Sea Nymph 165TX Bass Boat

The problem is I can't buy another for that price. Everything around here is priced way over $7k for boats in worse shape or even worse yet, wood decked boats. There's an Alumacraft for sale with a Force motor for sale but it needs all new decks, the motor has a low cylinder, and the trailer is rusty. They want $5k, everything else I've seen is right around $7500, and still needing lots of work.
The problem is most of these in this area have been in the saltwater, this one hasn't. Add that to the fact its got all alumimum decking, and its not water logged from 20+ years outside in the weather, and I think its a keeper. Sure I'd like a big profit, but its not a profit if my search has to start all over again. I bought and sold off a deal 8 years ago, I bought an older, early 90's Starcraft Bass boat for $300, it looked like new but the transom was rotten, after seeing that it was going to take cutting the hull to get the wood out and replaced I opted to sell it and I let it go for $2400, I really wish I had kept it since I spent 8 years looking for another deal. The transom job would have been done and still been in use today if I had kept it. The boat I miss the most is my 1983 Grumman Champ, a 15' crappie boat with stick steer, that boat was indestructible I had a 35hp Yamaha on it that flew. The hull withstood all sorts of abuse, even the eventual 75hp motor I hung on it. I was younger then and certainly a bit abusive, that boat spent more time out of the water in mid air than in it, but it just took it and kept going. I sold it when my job moved me to another state. By that time the wood decks were starting to soften, the foam was holding some water, and the motor was tired, but the hull was fine. I'd own another one of those again in a heartbeat.

Hackster

Cadet

I was picturing something much, much worse. You did well, IMO.

Ditto here. That's not the boat my mind's eye saw from the original description. Great score- congrats!

I didn't see your trailer bunk question answered, so - if you do go with wood, definitely use treated. For the best results, if you buy the lumber fresh (still wet from treatment) let it dry for a couple of weeks, then seal it with a good exterior polyurethane sealer, or marine varnish, before putting your carpet on. Enjoy!

loose rivet

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It'll be a while I guess before I can work on it, the weather here has been cold and windy. Once I get a decent day outside I'll be pulling the motor off, then making a few new bunks and a few new interior panels.
Its got 6" speaker holes with busted up 6x9 speaker grilles cut into the rear facing panel ahead of the console, I think I'd like to make those into vents for the front compartment, if I can find suitable stainless or aluminum louvers to fit there. Otherwise I'll be making up some plates to fill in the holes. It wouldn't have been so bad if they didn't cut the holes with tin snips or a chisel.
There's two holes like this, the other one is under the dash, also into the forward storage box.

Attachments

• Speaker hole.JPG
    Speaker hole.JPG
    114 KB · Views: 0