"Save The Manatee "

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
Did somebody say TILLER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice score, Great little motor,....

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Thanks ! Looks like it's been rode hard and put up wet for sure . The guy I got it from said the guy he got it from said it does run . I'll fiddle around with it and see if there's any sign of a pulse ...Not sure what I will do with it yet ... May have to find a little tinny for it .. :eyebrows:
May try the wD and a heat gun on the tube .. It has grease fittings .. The Manatee will get something with a few more horses though .. :joyous:
Gunna pick up 5er #3 from my glass supply guy tomorrow .. Looking forward to glassing the deck and getting it flipped .. Then it's gunna be decision time on the finish .. Paint or gell ... :indecisiveness:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Ha Sam, I can see a really nice OB there is you want to take the time. That IS my kind of project. I know I would have to completely go through that engine and repaint. I know that sounds crazy, but that is just me...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Sam, Me thunks it's about time You Jumpz Feetz Over Headz into a GelCoatz Job!!!! You needz to havz dat in yerz toolz Box!!!!:eek::D;)

Ifn' I'm every BRAVEZ enuf to dooz anuterz Boatz I'z gunna GELZKotz it!!!! After I pour Boiled LInseed Oil ALL over every inch of the Wood and Drill me a BUNCH of HOLES in DA TRANSOM!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Sam, Me thunks it's about time You Jumpz Feetz Over Headz into a GelCoatz Job!!!! You needz to havz dat in yerz toolz Box!!!!:eek::D;)

Ifn' I'm every BRAVEZ enuf to dooz anuterz Boatz I'z gunna GELZKotz it!!!! After I pour Boiled LInseed Oil ALL over every inch of the Wood and Drill me a BUNCH of HOLES in DA TRANSOM!!!!!!!!

Wondering out loud, Why couldn't you mix up the two part gel coat and get a HVLP spray gun with a 2mm or larger opening and spray gel coat? Hummmmm... IDK :noidea:

Oh WOG, I think the boiled linseed oil would really do some special to your....ah....how can I say this...umm....complexion...yea...that's it... :facepalm:

Last edited:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Will those linsead oils make thems gelly coats shynee's and alls purdy ?
Sorry my okie talk ain't quite up ta snuff .. And I thought these ol Florida boys talked kinda funny .. ! I would like to give gell a shot if I can get up the nerve .. I want to do a few color changes on the hull .. I have a pretty good idea how to do that .. What would work better just using the el cheapo h/f hvlp or get the pressure pot type .. I think the largest tip I have is the 1.8 ..

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Well according to Yacht Dr. The Pot Gun is the way to go for Gel Coat. And back in the Day when OOPS was around he said the same thing sooooo...ifn when the time comes fer me to shoot some I reckon I'll be gettin one of these...http://www.harborfreight.com/profess...kit-93305.html

These dump guns are supposed to be "The Bomb" for shootin Gel but...They sure iz Proud of em!!!!:eek: Ithink you can shop around and get one for around $130 delivered but that's still double the price of the Pot Gun and you still have to buy the cups.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/3509813...lpid=82&chn=ps

Last edited:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I need to stop by h/f on the way home .. Ill check out the pot gun and see what size tip they come with ..

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
The manual says .057 which converts to 1.4 mm. I remember OOPS saying he thinned the gel to use it and then it worked really well. And to remember to stop and clean and flush every 20 minutes. Takes 2 people to really stay on top of it and maintain a wet edge. Keep the gel mixed etc... I think but am not sure, that you can buy 2.0 mm tips for the gun off of evil bay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-0-FLUID-TI...048639&vxp=mtr

OR

You could use this Metal Flake Gun with a 2.5mm tip and a LARGE cup to do the job too!!!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-5-mm-HVLP-...352849&vxp=mtr

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I actually read a lot yesterday about spraying gel coats and it seems anything between 1.7mm and above or bigger can be used. But it also states that even with spraying gel material you still have lots of sanding and buffing to do to make it look worth while... IDK :noidea:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
You ARE correct. With GelCoat the Work Begins AFTER you shoot it. With Paint the work is all BEFORE you Shoot it.:D;)

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Sam you might check into duratec additive. It is supposed to help lower the viscosity and reduce sanding. I haven't used it but it sounds like it might be worth the money.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
All good info here !
Yep Woody your right 1.4 tip on the h/f pot gun .. Had to pull it out of the box to see .. Now the metal flake gun is interesting ..
Arch anything to reduce the sanding would be worth looking into ..
Gm , your right it will be a lot of sanding and buffing and just painting it is awfully tempting .. I think its just one of those things that you would at least try once .. When I redo the Borum ski boat it will most definitely be painted ..

Now how about the best place to order the gell ..

Last edited:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Now thats pretty darn cool ! So there is no way you can screw up the gun with gell starting to kick .. Pop the disposable head off and throw it away ..

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
Yes that is what I liked about it all you have to wipe is the needle valve tip I believe you also use disposable canisters.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Sam I use a HVLP gravity Devilbiss gun set from TCP Global with different interchangeable tips. And when I do the clean up, I use spray carb cleaner and spray it through the canister opening through the tip section. Amazing how that cleans the spray nozzle. And then depending on the conditions, I actually remove the spray tip and verify there are no residual paint remaining in the tip area. And thus far the carb cleaner does the job and quickly as well. So if you go the pressurized cup setup, you could throw the cup away and remove the knurled tip section and spray the carb cleaner through the cup feed opening and the tip section and be done with it... Sounds like a winning setup to me. I've easily sprayed 50 times or more with my guns and used that same cleaner methods. And they look and work like they just came out of the kit box. . :thumb:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
The reason for the Pot gun I THINK is...It holds 64 oz of Gelcoat. That gives you a LOT more product to lay down before needing to stop and clean out. As noted, You want to keep a wet edge and with Gelcoat and cleanup and re-loads that can be tricky if you're NOT set up properly to get it done in a timely fashion. Most Gravity feed cups are 32 oz at the most. They do now have the disposable plastic cups so that makes it a bit easier to make quick reloads. A small bucket of acetone to dip the gun in and brush it off and then shoot some thru then screw on another cup and load it up. Can be done in a few minutes. With a helper shouldn't be much of an issue. I HAVE a 2.5 TCP Global Gavity Feed HVLP gun just waiting for a GelCoat job. Guess what the tip WILL fit on the HF Cheapo Guns too!!! Let me know if you want me to Mail you the nozzle so you can try it out.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
The reason for the Pot gun I THINK is...It holds 64 oz of Gelcoat. That gives you a LOT more product to lay down before needing to stop and clean out. As noted, You want to keep a wet edge and with Gelcoat and cleanup and re-loads that can be tricky if you're NOT set up properly to get it done in a timely fashion. Most Gravity feed cups are 32 oz at the most. They do now have the disposable plastic cups so that makes it a bit easier to make quick reloads. A small bucket of acetone to dip the gun in and brush it off and then shoot some thru then screw on another cup and load it up. Can be done in a few minutes. With a helper shouldn't be much of an issue. I HAVE a 2.5 TCP Global Gavity Feed HVLP gun just waiting for a GelCoat job. Guess what the tip WILL fit on the HF Cheapo Guns too!!! Let me know if you want me to Mail you the nozzle so you can try it out.

WOOD, I bet using a pressurized gravity feed setup would be interesting. I mean gravity feed works pretty well as it is. But to pressurize the cup would be really interesting. I can see how that would literally push the high viscosity gel coat through... Bet it is a hoot to setup too!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Woody the needle would need to change also right for the 2.5 tip . I do still have the h/f purple people eater . :D
I just thought about it but my sil dropped off a couple old hvlp guns that a friend of his gave him .. Never looked at them good . I need to dig em out and see whats there .. The tip you have is the same one that you linked to earlier ?