"Save The Manatee "

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Deck update .... Well the stuff is going down and seems to be pretty tuff stuff . Only real problem is there expansion rate is nowhere near what there website claimed .. The 2 gal kit only covered half of the deck which was around 1 cubic ft of finished material .. There website stated that the 1 gal kit would yield 1 cubic ft . After many text and finally a response from an email I sent . They are sending me a 2 gal kit at cost to finish up . And I saw today that they have changed there website to fix the error .. But there is still a problem with the calc formula that is on the site .. I have put the numbers in many times L 156 X W 55 X D .5 / 3456 =1.24 cu ft ...
2 - 2 gal kits should be plenty . But I think I will still be a bit shy of having enough .. I did not even take off for the tapered bow sections either . The affordable alternative has become not so affordable .. . But I do think it will be a nice lightweight deck when complete ... We shall see ...
IMHO , seacast is a MUCH better product ... Not really even close ....

Last edited:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
That is too bad Sam, I was hoping you found something that was more cost effective than the seacast self leveling product. But other than the quantity, sounds like it is working So how is the workablity? Does it self level? We need one of your videos :D

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
It's really just a 2 part very dense closed cell expanding foam .. You must work fast so you have to do small sections at a time . It only takes a minute or two before it starts to kick . It is liquid so it does self level somewhat . I have a vid just have not published to y/t yet .

jbcurt00

Staff member
Ugh, that's sure is some ugly soylent green ^^^^ I opened your post expecting to want a WhiteCastle slider or Krystals equivalent......... nope, not now.

Catch the video later, but for multiple pours, looks pretty good

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Yeh its pretty ugly now but it won't be when finished .. Soylent Green was the only nickname I could come up with .. Just popped into my head when I saw the color . :lol:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
My Grandson's gunna love your boat...Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!!!!!:peace::rockon:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Just got all the humps and bumps ground down with the angle grinder .. Gotta go easy with it or you will go to far .. This stuff is mighty gritty grinding .. No itch just gritty .. I feel like I just went through one of those love scenes in the movies rolling around in the surf ! Only no Bo Derick .. :cold: Just a 15 ft Sea Cow ... :lol:
No more boat work today I just got a 911 call from a relative needing some adult leadership on a fence project he is doing ..

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Sam interesting concept. I did watch your video and I have to say a completely different concept then the usual. I have a question about it. How much does a pour like that add in weight. I'm sure it is very light, but it looks heavy. Just wondering. And once you finish, I can't see it ever rotting again... Thanks for the lesson. :thumb:

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Looks like cool stuff, be interesting to see how it holds up...

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
The stuff they say is 80% lighter than ply .. That was one of the things that drew me to it ..

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
That is a considerable weight savings! If you don't mind me asking, how does the price stack up?

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Well as for me that's a long story on the cost ... As of right now it's up there with seacast which is something there web sight claims there like half the cost of ..
They actually had to change the volume on there kit after I had to point out there mistake on there web sight..
When I first purchased it it was at 330 bucks for a 2 gal kit ... they stated on there sight that there 1 gal kit would yield 1 cubic ft of finished material .. So my thought ok 2 gal kit = 2 cubic ft of volume .. And they have this formula on the sight L X W X D / 3456 . That is still there btw . I ran the calc many times and came up with 1.24 cu ft every time . I even went over the numbers with the owner on the phone step by step and he said well a 2 gal kit will be MORE than enough ..
Ok 330 bucks just a little more than m/g ply .. The one kit only covered half . :suspicious: The guy stopped answering my text messages and would not return my calls .. Sent an email and a nice lady responded and all she could do was give me a 2 gal kit at there cost + shipping . 160 bucks.. Frustrated i agreed I just wanted it done .. So 490 bucks for what you see .. At there list price now the same amount would be 950 bucks :eek: !!! I could use seacast for that and it's a lot better product .. Just looking at this stuff I could not see myself hanging a big motor on a transom with the soylent green in it .. Maybe a small outboard but that's it ..
I do think the deck will turn out well though .. We shall see ..

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Sam, just a thought. do you think you could place the material, then put a piece of plywood over your spaces and get it to a uniform thickness easier? I did something like that in the bow area of Miss Morgan with the flotation foam. It worked pretty decent, had a few places I had to fill later. Trying to get that flat looks like a lot of work. By the way, thanks for taking a chance and trying something new! I suspect that you will get it sorted out, seems reasonable for a deck product.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
At only a half inch or so that may be kinda hard to do . Maybe do it that way in small sections at a time . Waxed plastic covering the ply ,pour the foam then just hold it in place .. I really did not have very much waste at all .

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Teamster would be proud ! :joyous:

A friend at work gave me this tiller ... The tilt tube is stuck .. Whats the best method to freeing it up ?