Safety chain question

frosteeone

Seaman
The chains on my trailer (bought used) practically drag the ground. -- I always loop them thru one of the links on the chain before I hook them to the frame of my truck (dodge dakota) just to shorten them up.<br /><br />My question is. -What's the proper length? -- Is it best to just use the hooks and have the trailer practically touch the ground if it should happen to unhook from my ball receiver? Or should I make them as short/tight as possible.<br /><br />Just wonderin'... Thanks!

Kenneth Brown

Captain
Re: Safety chain question

IMHO- They should not touch the ground nor should they be tight. They should probably hang halfway from the hitch to the ground. The chains need to hold the trailer off the ground in the event of breakage, yet they should also allow the truck/trailer to turn freely.

D

DJ

frosteeone,<br /><br />Having a proper length formula is kind of hard to say. There are too many variables.<br /><br />It is better to have them too long, than too short.<br /><br />One can deal with long chains by crossing and twisting them. They shoud lways be crossed.

frosteeone

Seaman

Thanks! -- Yes, I've been kinda doing the half way thing. Good idea about crossing them.<br /><br />Unfortunately, I learned that I can't make too sharp a turn because it rubbed part of my bumper area the first time I pulled it. (Trial and Error, Live and Learn and all the hard stuff).<br /> :mad: <br /><br />Thanks! I appreciate everybodys opinion.

Knightgang

Lieutenant

I like to have the chains a little long, that way they will conform to may tow vehicles. I ahve one truck that the chain anchor point is on the receiver hitch back up under the bumper, and the other is just under the edge of the bumper. I always cross the chains so that they do not drag the ground, and a twist them to take up slack.

Baldguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Depends on your set up. I just bought a boat that only had one safety chain. :eek: I believe that to be illegal in CA. So, I just got through replacing the entire chain set up on this rig.<br /><br />The rule of thumb, as I've been taught, is that you want them just long enough to be able to turn, but not too long so that they don't prevent the hitch from hitting the ground should it jump the ball.<br /><br />Mine are about 3/4 the way down to the road from the hitch height. The are crossed to catch the hitch...just in case it jumps the ball.<br /><br />Hope this helps.

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

Posted by DJ.<br /> One can deal with long chains by crossing and twisting them. They shoud lways be crossed. <br />--------------------------------------------------<br />Ditto! :)

KM2

Chief Petty Officer

Some great advice here, always cross the chains and twist to get to the right amount of slack. the purpose of crossing is to cradle the trailer tongue if it should become disconnected from the ball. IMO the chains should be as short a possible and still allow sharp turns. This way if the trailer comes of the ball it shouldn't drag on the ground and also not let the boat ram into my truck when I try to stop.

aggie97

Cadet

I agree that the chains should only be as long as it takes to allow you to turn a corner. They should also be crossed. If your chains hang down 1/2 way from mounting on vehilce to the ground the hitch will then hit the ground if it comes loose. Remember that if the hitch does come loose, then the trailer will pivot forward untill the chain is roughly in a vertical position. Ther will be a little lean in the direction of the pull or push depending on if it is acceleration or braking. This means the you should measure how long your chains are, then measure how far the attachment to the vehicle is from the ground and be sure the chains are shorter.<br /><br />I can't tell you how many people I see that just throw the hooks into the slots and go on their way.

Denis Kansier Sr.

Seaman Apprentice

For the sake of discussion, has anyone ever had a trailer disconnect from the hitch?? As many times as I have pulled a trailer, I keep thinking of what to do if the trailer gets loose.

wajajaja

Chief Petty Officer

Been to a accident sceane (as ems) where the trailer broke loose and caused a fatal accident to the car oncomming across a interstate with a soft median. <br /> I use either snap or screw links instead of the s hooks on most chain setups.

Northern Eclipse

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If you want to make sure theres have enough slack to make turns this is easy to determine, hook up trailer but don't hook up chains right yet, backup or move tow vehicle foward (your choice) and turn left or right (again your choice) has tight has you normally would, now stop, get out hook up chain that would be the longest reach leave about 2 or 3 links slack, count links use that number to set the other chain ( short side) and check for ground clearance, If hitch height is correct then chains should not drag, most hitch heights should be between 13 to 16 inches from ground to top of coupler with trailer loaded or at least have a level trailer tongue. If chains drag then you may want to raise your hitch height. This has worked for me many times over.

cdivrmike

Seaman

I have had the trailer come off the hitch one time and I have a dented bumper tp show for it.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Has anyone actually ever checked to see if the chains will keep the tongue off the pavement if it came unhitched? I have. Its practically impossible to rig it up to keep the tongue from hitting the ground.<br /><br />Crossing them and shortening them are the right thing to do, but it will still hit the ground in most cases. <br /><br />I think the chains would have to connect directly behind the coupler, and the other end connect right next to the hitch ball, so that your chains would only be 8" long. Even then, many tongues have a resting pad extending from the bottom, that will gouge into the pavement.

rc581

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i also had one come off one time. i hit a bad set of tracks and it was a rental camper. poor maint on their part and ignorance on my part caused it. but the crossed chaines kept it off the ground and it stayed with the truck. i learned a very good lesson that day...CHECK THE CHAINS.... and the nut on the coupler.......bob

bassman11

Recruit

My trailer feel off once too. My chains are approx. 1/2 off the ground, and I cross them too.<br />The only thing it did was keep the trailer on the car. (which is a good thing) Didn't prevent it from dropping on the ground.<br />Anyways, I was driving it home from winter storage, a two lane highway going just over 55, hit a rough stop on the road, it popped off the ball hit the ground and sparks were flying everywhere. The trailer was swaying back and forth. I could understand how if it hit, the boat and tailer could flip over. <br /><br />I stayed on the road and gradually slowed down, and the top of my post for the winch hit the tailgate, the hitch hit my bumper. Scared the *&$% out of me, and the dude behind me and the guy coming the other way. I had an extra, put it on and went home.<br /><br />Other than that things went ok.<br />The coupler was good, the chains ok, the pin I used was busted, it must had been bad.<br /><br />Afterwards, I changed everything, ball, coupler and chains.

Hank 911

Seaman Apprentice

I had one come loose once. I was pulling my dad's new Caravell 17' I / O. down a country road going 35 maybe 40 MPH. I had spent the day skiing with my buddies. All of a sudden BAM! BAM! BAMBAMBAM! I thought I had been hit by a pulpwood truck. Looking in the mirror I swear it looked like the tires were coming off the ground. Left then right then left again. Terrible noise, it scared the living daylights out of me. The chains did their job well though. Not a scratch on the boat. Saying a little prayer of thanks, I found the cause of my trouble. Seems the 1 7/8" ball didn't quite match up to the 2" tongue. Lesson learned. Thirty years and several boats later I'm still a fanatic on hitch sizes and using the chains. In this time around boats (skiing has somehow evolved into fishing) I never learned the importance of crossing the chains. Until now. Thanks

rwise

Captain

Guess I was lucky, took mine (14' al) to the lake and back went remove the trailer and found that in the haste to leave it was never latched! I now triple check it!

mia9516

Petty Officer 3rd Class

What would be the best way to extend the safety chain on my Trail Rite trailer? The chain goes into the tongue on the underside of the coupler. There is also a bolt that goes across the links of the three chains. Why was this done this way? Thanks all in advance.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

For the sake of discussion, has anyone ever had a trailer disconnect from the hitch?? As many times as I have pulled a trailer, I keep thinking of what to do if the trailer gets loose.

Yup, I have. Had a 5,000 lb U-Haul, dual axle trailer come loose, while being towed behind one of their 24' six wheelers. Long story, but it was their fault.

Believe it or not, that trailer jerked the fully loaded truck around so badly, that I thought it was going to roll onto its side. Fortunately the two safety chains broke, causing the third chain, which sets the surge brakes, to do its job. The trailer swerved to the right and smashed into a guard rail.

All of my stuff was completely trashed, but the insurance paid for it all and the adjuster didn't argue a bit, once he saw what happened.