Running deep creep & seafoam in my mercury

Tekin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I bought a 03 Mercury 50hp 2 stroke and, a guy at the marina said I need to clear to carbon out of the engine by spraying deep creep directly into the plug holes. Let it sit horizontal overnight and crank it in the morning. He also said to put a 16 ounce bottle of seafoam into the gas tank to help clean. Has anyone ever done this?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Deep Creep is another form of PB Blaster for loosening rusty nuts/bolts. I wouldn't do it.

Seafoam is a decarbonizer. It is good or not, I don't know. I do add some to the gas a couple of times a season and follow the instructions on the can. How big is your tank?

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
If you want to get rid of carbon get Merc Powertune, Omc Engine tune or Yamaha ring free.

tpenfield

Staff member
+1 for the Mercury Power Tune. Does a whole lot better . . .

Tekin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
GA ITS A 14 GAL TANK. Thanks guys! How would I go about cleaning the carbon buildup on my Mercury,with power tune. Just want to add that the mechanic said all deep creep is seafoam in a compressed can and it works allot better than the items you guys listed. I don't agree just thought I would throw that in.

Makes you think just because they say they're professionals doesn't mean there good at what they do..

Last edited:

Alumarine

Captain
Basically while the motor is running 200-300 rpm above idle spray 1/2 to a whole can of it in the carbs.
Then shut it down and wait 15 to 30 minutes.
Then start it up and let it rev slightly till the heavy smoke stops.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
You usually have to have the motor warm to use any of the three I have listed. I have seen all 3 do an excellent job on carbon build up. On one motor I actually had chunks of carbon coming out of the exhaust that powertune broke loose up.

Tekin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok thanks Marc c I'll take your advice. The mechanic sprayed that deep creep into another motor on the lot and the smoke that came off the motor filled the entire lot. 😆

tpenfield

Staff member
GA ITS A 14 GAL TANK. Thanks guys! How would I go about cleaning the carbon buildup on my Mercury,with power tune. Just want to add that the mechanic said all deep creep is seafoam in a compressed can and it works allot better than the items you guys listed. I don't agree just thought I would throw that in.

Makes you think just because they say they're professionals doesn't mean there good at what they do..

Many of us on the forums are professionals . . . we do this forum posting stuff for a living, but it doesn't pay much :)

Tekin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I sure do appreciate you guys taking your time to help others with there issues! Thank you tpenfeild!,,

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Deep Creep is another form of PB Blaster for loosening rusty nuts/bolts. I wouldn't do it.
Interesting....Deep Creep used to be the spray version of Seafoam.

Used it for years......still have a can or two out in the garage

Wonder when and why they changed?

seafoam-deep-creep_3231400C_2.jpg

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I've always heard Deep Creep was as good as or better than PB Blaster. :noidea: Now the can is ;

SFDC-Bottle.png

Tekin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

• Search
  • Page of 1

• Filter

• lugnuts
    Cadet

cadet.gif

[h=2]
    icon9.png
    seafoam vs. deep creep[/h] [COLOR=#6A6A6A !important]April 1st, 2013, 04:05 PM

• does any one know if there`s a difference between this new packaged deep creep and seafoam? i hear from some that the deep creep is only a lubricant. can i still use it to decarb my motor. i bought it thinking that`s what it was for, now i`m not so sure.

Tags: None

• Flag

• kfa4303
    Banned

[COLOR=#6A6A6A !important]April 1st, 2013, 05:07 PM

• Re: seafoam vs. deep creep

Hi lugnuts. You can use Deep Creep. It's actually made by Seafoam. They're essentially the same thing, but the DC is already in aerosol form whereas Seafoam is usually liquid. DC is great for spraying into the carb and/or cylinders, while SF is great for adding to your fuel. Just follow the directions on the can and be ready fro LOTS of smoke.

• Flag

• RogersJetboat454
    Commander

commander.gif

[COLOR=#6A6A6A !important]April 1st, 2013, 05:09 PM[/COLOR]

Re: seafoam vs. deep creep

Yep...
    One's primarily a penetrating oil, the other's for removing carbon and junk from an engine.

MSDS sheets show some of the same ingredients, but the major notable ingredient in Sea Foam that didn't make it to the Deep Creep party is Naphtha. Naphtha is most likely the ingredient in Sea Foam that does the heavy lifting.

Get your self a can of Sea Foam, and keep the Deep Creep for rusty bolts.

1976 Rogers Custom Boats 18' "Bonneville" W/ Chevy 454/ Berkeley 12JC

Care Taker of 1976 Glastron V-184 Crestflight W/ Volvo 170B/280 I.O.
    & 1969 Starcraft W/ 1956 Evinrude 7.5hp Fleetwin.

• Flag

• roscoe
    Supreme Mariner

supreme_mariner.gif

[COLOR=#6A6A6A !important]April 1st, 2013, 06:12 PM[/COLOR]

The ingredients in all 3 products are virtually the same. The naphtha (broad range name of products) is different in the Deep Creep to make it VOC compliant and non corrosive, now.

So now you can buy the SF Spray (appears to be the old deep creep) ,
    or the SF motor treatment, and get the old formula.

Buy the NEW formula Deep Creep spray to use as a penetrant, protectant, water displacer, and fogging agent.

Medford, WI

fetch

• Flag

• jerryjerry05
    Supreme Mariner

supreme_mariner.gif

[COLOR=#6A6A6A !important]April 2nd, 2013, 06:20 AM[/COLOR]

I like Power Tune from Mercury. It's a spray. The blue stuff for the Ethanol treatment is a good bet if your outfit sets for extended periods.
    Since the advent of TCW=3 I haven't had any trouble with carbon.
    Don't use too much or too little oil and keep the carbs adjusted?
    I used to troll a lot in the Chesapeake Bay and I was always decarbing.

Buy American made Cars and Trucks!!!Towing insurance for a boat,a GREAT thing.
    ​Tools to make my life easier: Battery tester, die grinder, temp.gun, compression tester, DVA meter.

In Scenic , Beautiful San Sebastian by the sea Florida

88 Bayliner 21CC 2001 Mercury 225 HP EFI

[/COLOR]
[/COLOR]

Tekin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm going to get a can or a couple of the mercury power tune like tpenfeild suggested. Thanks allot guys!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
A couple years ago, Deep Creep was reformulated.

One of the big reasons was the VOC content and EPA rules for aerosol propellants, or at least thats what I read.

About the same time, prices jumped on PowerTune and RingFree.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
In the 60s and 70s OMC had a real good Engine Cleaner. It was not an aerosol, but you squeezed or poured it out of the can. In the can the stuff made your eyes water, and when you fed it to the engine the smoke really made the eyes burn. It was good stuff, not like the wussy cleaners marketed these days. I think the stuff was almost straight Carbon Tetrachloride.

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I have ran sea foam several times. Everything from direct pouring the product down the carb to mixing it in with fuel and I have never found it to do anything. Sure it makes a good smoke show but when I have pulled apart these engines after I have still found the carbon needs to be physically removed and hand cleaned. Perhaps I will give some of the other products you guys mention a try to see if they work however at this point I have no faith in the mechanic in a can products.

nipperdog

Cadet
Interesting thread, I didn't know the individual outboard makers had their own brands. I've always used seafoam because that's what is available in the small town where I live. I get the stuff you pour in the tank as well as the spray for the carbs. I put a can of it in the tank, then spray an aerosol can through the carbs. I think it actually freed up a reed vale on the motor I'm fiddling with now. I had it running on a garden hose well above idle and while I was spraying the lower carb., it all the sudden picked way up on RPMs. I had never had the boat in the water, so I won't be able to tell if the motor pushes the boat better, but it sure sounded like it did something good. I remember when I was a kid, my Dad would slowly pour ATF in the carb. on automobile engines to clean them out and hopefully free up rings. It would smoke up the whole block, lol.

Tekin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was just at Western marine and they only had a bottle of quicksilver. Now the can said it was mercury power tune on the back. $16.00 for that can..

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
I was just at Western marine and they only had a bottle of quicksilver. Now the can said it was mercury power tune on the back. $16.00 for that can..
Quicksilver is the Mercury brand name for their parts line. Same as Dodge /Chrysler parts being called Mopar or the Ford parts line being called motorcraft