Rumbling Noise from Outdrive

daman4469

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well, made some progress today. Got the new u joints on the Outdrive. Got gimbal housing off. New gimbal bearing installed. Will be doing bellows tomorrow while my wife works all day. I'm getting there....
Now time for some brain lubricant!

daman4469

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Is this bearing seated? Felt like it when driving it.

Attachments

• photo245296.jpeg
    photo245296.jpeg
    155.1 KB · Views: 0

daman4469

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks....I thought so, but just making sure.
I shouldn't have too many more questions from here on out. I did see that they didn give me a new gimbal housing ring for the u joint bellows. Hoping I can reuse the old one.

daman4469

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well,
Looks like I need a new shift cable. The sheath was split right where it met the gimbal housing. Another point of water entry.
Since I already bought the bellows kit, is there anywhere to just buy the cable and sheath only? Everything seems to come in a kit that has bellows, gaskets, etc and its 85 dollars.
Rob

daman4469

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just ordered that same kit....thanks. Hopefully I am done needing things. Unfortunately I am held up until that cable comes in, but maybe I need a break. I'll check back when it comes in.

daman4469

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well, got my shift cable kit. Got old removed and new installed in gimbal housing. What a bear! Tomorrow evening will start on bellows, finishing Saturday. Hoping for a lake test sat evening or Sunday AM. If that rumble is still present I may lose my mind!

daman4469

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Everything going smoothly so far. Got new bellows on, gimble housing back in bellows....having a bit of trouble getting exhaust bellow onto aft side....ran out of daylight though. Shift cable routed with no problems. Hoping to finish Saturday AM.

daman4469

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Got it all back together today. Everything is OK except it won't shift in to reverse. Shifts into forward and neutral fine. I made sure I had 6 inches from the brass barrel to the front hole on the shift cable sleeve too. After doing a little research, it appears I am going to have to tear that gosh darn lower unit back off again.

daman4469

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Before you do that, just pull the outdrive off and see if it shifts by Hand.
It doesn't seem to want to shift by hand. It gets to the point where it's clicking when I turn it left and right but never engages. Lever doesn't really shift into gear the way it does in forward.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
It doesn't seem to want to shift by hand. It gets to the point where it's clicking when I turn it left and right but never engages. Lever doesn't really shift into gear the way it does in forward.

This with the outdrive off? When in doubt, pull it off and test it by hand.

daman4469

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes that's with the Outdrive off....not sure what could have happened between removal and reassembly. The lever turns and locks in to forward. But it just doesn't seem to go quite far enough to engage reverse.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
That's an Alpha1. You want to assemble upper to lower with the lower locked into forward and the upper slipped on with the shoe facing fore and aft.

thumpar

Admiral
When it is fully locked in forward on the shift shoe is it exactly 90 degrees? You could be off a tooth on the shift shaft.

daman4469

Petty Officer 2nd Class
When it is fully locked in forward on the shift shoe is it exactly 90 degrees? You could be off a tooth on the shift shaft.
Sorry I wasn't very detailed. I just had the Outdrive off, I didn't disassemble the lower unit at all. Took it off in one piece and left it that way then reinstalled.
When in forward gear, looking back under the drive I can see it perfectly 90 degrees sometimes, and slightly off of 90 degrees other times.
When trying to shift into reverse, it starts to grind a little similar to shifting into forward, but never fully engages.
I thought I had the prop locked when I reinstalled the drive but perhaps I messed up.