Rumbling Noise from Outdrive

Rick Stephens

Admiral
I've never used the SEI kit, only OEM Mercruiser on bellows. Too many posters on this forum, who do Mercruisers for a living, recommend only OEM for bellows, exhaust gaskets and other sundry items. Because of that, I always stuck with the OEM.

Last edited:

daman4469

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for that; I didn't order the kit yet, and won't....I will heed your advice.....ill get the listing of part numbers and order mercury genuine parts.
I borrowed a 1/2" allen from work to get the gimble housing off; ill be doing that today. I'll replace everything, but I am curios as to what actually was letting water in.
This all explains the water in my lower unit though!

Rob

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Got the unit pulled today. Had a bear of a time. Turns out it pulled the gimble bearing out with the shaft. I guess that needs replaced. Water in bellows as well. U joints are rusty. Gimble has play in it. Attached some pics for your entertainment!

Think of it this way, you saved yourself the hassle/expense of buying a gimble bearing puller!

daman4469

Petty Officer 2nd Class
yes I still have to purchase the bearing press; I have seen some guys that made a makeshift press but I'm not one for ruining bearings trying to cut corners...its to easy to do with pressed parts....
tonight I plan on getting the gimbal housing off and will get the press sometime this week; hoping to tackle this project this weekend if parts are here in time. ill follow up with what I find once the housing is off....im pretty sure its the Ujoint bellows.

thumpar

Admiral
Just get the alignment tool with bearing driver. You don't have to take it apart that far. You will need the alignment tool anyway.

daman4469

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Got the gimbal housing off. Leak was coming from ujoint bellows.
Do I need the shift cable tool to get the aluminum shift bracket off?
If so, I'll be ordering that tonight as well as bearing driver and alignment tool (alignment looks ok but I want nothing left to question).
Still,with all of that I'll still only be in 200 bucks or so.
Met cruiser parts came to 118.00.

Last edited:

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Remove the cable end at the linkage on the motor and the aluminum piece pulls out with the core of the lower shift cable. You do not HAVE to pull the cable housing out of the gimbal housing to replace the bellows if you don't want to. If you do, make sure you leave a pull wire to slip the housing back in the right way.

daman4469

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thank you sir. Your outdrive is Gen I, correct? If so, you wouldn't happen to remember the part number for the UJoints you bought would you? I am having a hard time cross-referencing :)

I'll get that shift cable pulled tonight, and hopefully can get UJoints this week, so that I am all ready to go. I am thinking about taking the UJoints to a local shop to have them pulled and new ones pressed in....if I remember from doing my truck, the UJoints caused a lot of frustration and took a lot of time.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Thank you sir. Your outdrive is Gen I, correct? If so, you wouldn't happen to remember the part number for the UJoints you bought would you? I am having a hard time cross-referencing :)

I'll get that shift cable pulled tonight, and hopefully can get UJoints this week, so that I am all ready to go. I am thinking about taking the UJoints to a local shop to have them pulled and new ones pressed in....if I remember from doing my truck, the UJoints caused a lot of frustration and took a lot of time.

Look in the Adults Only Section, there is a list of U-Joints crossover parts.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...es-outdrives/295720-adults-only-no-exceptions

daman4469

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Got it....I think I'll go your route and get Napa, only because there seems to be some controversy with the Spicer joints.
I see theyre listed for GenII and not Gen I but from what Ive read they take the same UJoint.
Ill be picking up from local napa today. Then once the dealer calls that my parts are in ill get her all put back together. After doing some thinking, I do think I'll attempt to yank the old UJoints and press the new ones in myself. I'd like the experience.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
I googled moog 315g part number off the adults only section and got them for $10 each from summit racing fit perfect. Removal I used a big c clamp and deep sockets (poor mans ball joint press) had to trim two tabs on big washer that holds driveshaft into drive housing to get the one joint out. Worked good and boat vibrated a lot less afterwards. A piece of 3" PVC pipe makes a perfect gimbal bearing driver. Not a hard job, Good luck

daman4469

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I googled moog 315g part number off the adults only section and got them for $10 each from summit racing fit perfect. Removal I used a big c clamp and deep sockets (poor mans ball joint press) had to trim two tabs on big washer that holds driveshaft into drive housing to get the one joint out. Worked good and boat vibrated a lot less afterwards. A piece of 3" PVC pipe makes a perfect gimbal bearing driver. Not a hard job, Good luck

Scott is yours an Alpha One Gen I?

daman4469

Petty Officer 2nd Class
U-joints are same.
Thanks. I snagged The joints today for 28 bucks for both; picking up parts from dealer tomorrow....118 for bellows and seals, 54 for gimbal, 10 for bellows adhesive and 28 for u joints puts me right at about 210 dollars...Not bad IMO. I'll be tackling this project Saturday morning. Hoping it all goes smoothly!

Rick Stephens

Admiral
It'll go fine. Might need about a six pack for brain lubricant. Hard parts are first time pressing the bell housing over the installed bellows. I found it lots easier if I put a coat of cement and let it dry, then add a coat as lubricant and shove the bell housing into the bellows compressing it until it slides on. Easy after the first time doing it.