Restoring 1996 Four Sons Center Console

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yup, it is but...when you consider it takes 1 gallon to wet out 4 yds of CSM and or 1708 and then the PB for fillets and then the resin to pre-coat the wood and you start to calculate the square footage etc... It adds up pretty quick. I'd recommend you order 10 gallons to start and see how far you get. You'll get a handle on usage and then you'll know how much to order for the finish. It's not an exact science!

studioq

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thank you.....that is a lot of resin.

There's also going to be some overage and waste. Not a lot - but accident's happen and inevitably you're going to end up with a half a quart here and a quarter of a quart there that are all catalyzed up with no place to go. When it happens to me and I'm in good humor - I stick a chip brush in it and let it harden - then remove the block of resin and set it on my desk or workbench.. They're great conversation starters..

Flukinicehole

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks guys I will start saving a little extra money, or sell something I have laying around that I have not used in 10 years.

studioq

Petty Officer 1st Class
It's going to take more than you think when it comes to cost and materials - but don't get discouraged.. Do everything you can that's free or comes at little cost and keep reading about other people's restos.. That's exactly what I had to do.. I picked my boat up in May and just finished the transom 5 months later.. It'll be a year before I'm on the water with any faith... One suggestion I would make is find a way to keep her dry... No sense in combating that all of the time.

Flukinicehole

Petty Officer 1st Class
I know that all projects cost more then originally thought lol. Even my wife understands when I start doing something well..... she might as well just double the numbers. I have a plan though and will stick to it. I'm going this weekend to get some tin roofing to build the shelter for it. My friend at work has a bunch of it and said if I take it down I can have it. I like doing projects like this but honestly have never done one this big and never used the pb. I will start with 15 gallons and have someone working on a contact locally. We have fiberglass tanks at work and an outside company comes in to repair them. Maybe they can direct me to some local resin and get it a little cheaper. My plan is to have it ready for the spring flounder run here in NC so lets see if I make it.

Flukinicehole

Petty Officer 1st Class
Started grinding today...only got 2 hours in as I have 20 gallons of beer to keg...lol. Priorities you know!

OOPS....easy with the grinder!

Flukinicehole

Petty Officer 1st Class
Most of the grinding is done so I will pick up some sheets of roam and start making temp-lets.

Now that it is washed and dried I can see where I need to grind more. I just have to sell these car parts I will never use and start putting her back together :).

Flukinicehole

Petty Officer 1st Class
Parts sold so I have plenty of cash to finish the job. This week I will call around about Resin as I'm sure I will be able to get it cheaper here locally.

Flukinicehole

Petty Officer 1st Class
So I called and talked to the boat manufacturer today. Really nice guy and he told me that this boat is from the Aquasport mold. It is the same as the 17ft. Osprey without the cap. I told him I was restoring this boat and looking for resin and he said most small builders sell to the public. He sells his and I'm not sure if he wants me to tell everyone how much he charges but I will say....check your local builder. I 'm very sorry I already bought my fiberglass as he told me he has a bunch laying around and bring a big bag. I will be taking a ride there in a few weeks as they are only open Mon-Thurs. I will spend the day at their shop checking out their operation. Cant wait!

Flukinicehole

Petty Officer 1st Class
I will be heading to Fair Bluff to meet the builder and see his shop on Monday. Cant wait to see the place and maybe get some ideas. He also can hook me up with the flotation foam which is an added bonus. I hope to be able to get the transom glassed in on Tuesday as it is supposed to warm up. If not I will make room in the garage and put the boat in to work on it. This cold snap we had came at a good time so I hope it is gone before I get the resin. Once the transom is glassed in I can make the stringers. Hope to make the spring run.

Flukinicehole

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just got back from the builder and have to say they are really nice guys. I came home with 15 gallons of resin and 4 gallons of Acetone for under $300. I asked him about the foam and they said I could bring the boat to them and they would spray it in for less then I can buy it. He also told me I can get my gelcoat through them and if I don't mind an off color it would be very cheap. It varies from time to time on what they have so when I bring the boat for foam he will hook me up. Right now they have 2 different Blue's. One like a navy and the other very light. Looking forward to getting this project moving before the cold gets back so I'm heading out now to see if I can get the transom in.

Flukinicehole

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks Rick, I got the transom in and will be starting on the stringers tomorrow.

Rickmerrill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Flunk, I believe if you check the forum rules the proper order is install transom, post pictures, then install stringers! Congratulations on the transom install!

Flukinicehole

Petty Officer 1st Class
I will post pics of transom when it is all glassed in. I just glued (with PB) it in and still need to put the glass over it. Teamster....apparently most smaller builders will do this. I'm just lucky enough to have a few by me and the original builder is about an hour and 45 min away. Depending on your location you might be closer then you think. There are a lot of builder around that most people have never heard of. Or you could always take a trip to NC as a vacation and head home with a bunch of goodies lol.

Triangleboater

Petty Officer 1st Class
Very nice! Can you give me the name of the guy in the shop? I am in the Raleigh area and would love to establish a relationship like that :) I need my hull gel coated eventually. Nice build BTW. I am in the Wilmington area flounder fishing fairly often.

Flukinicehole

Petty Officer 1st Class
Very nice! Can you give me the name of the guy in the shop? I am in the Raleigh area and would love to establish a relationship like that :) I need my hull gel coated eventually. Nice build BTW. I am in the Wilmington area flounder fishing fairly often.

The guy I was talking with was John. The guys I ended up dealing with were his brothers. I'm horrible with names but John was not in the shop. He was out on a test ride in one of their boats at the time. They are all really nice guys and I think it is a family only business. They might have one guy there that is not family. They are open Monday-Thursday 7:30-5, close for lunch for an hour usually about 12:30. There number is (910)649-5755. I hope to be in the waters around Wilmington this year targeting some flounder. Cheers....Jonny.