Restore and Rebuild 74 Mariner 18? ( We Have The Technology )

ctriverfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Restore and Rebuild 74 Mariner 18?

Ok Murphy has struck!!! Not the boat but ME. A digestive track infection causing a bleed sent me to the ER.
I am feeling better now but no working on the boat for at least 2 more weeks.
The Supreme Commander has threatened to have our boy come pull the Boat to his house. “She “Can be a party pooper some times.
:)
This is JUST KILLING ME.:mad: Just sitting around in the backyard and the damn Boat keeps calling. WORK ON ME WORK ON ME :)
“But If Murphy stays away should be back at it soon. Tell then All I can do is get my boat fix here. LOL

64osby

Admiral

Damn that Murphy. At least you know the boat will still be waiting on you.

Is stuff like that caused by eating Connecticut River Fish??:eek:

Captmills

Petty Officer 1st Class

you sure you don't want to call that boat "full metal jacket" lots of shiney metal on that old girl. looks good, sorry to hear about your guts...boat ain't going nowhere, need to get healed up.

ctriverfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi all. I am back at it. I have flipped her and she is out to blast. “Yahoo”
My Alodine just came and I have my primer and paint and hardener.
Now if I can keep Murphy off my back should be painting this weekend.
Keeping my Fingers crossed. More picture to come.

ctriverfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

She is back from blast. I washed her down dried her off and Alodine her. A light scuff rewashed her with just water.
She sat in the sun for 2 days to dry off. I pulled her in this morning wiped her down with thinner and put a light coat of Zink chromate on. Picture 0131.jpgPicture 015.jpgPicture 016.jpgPicture 017.jpgThen 2 coats of primer and one coat of paint. Tomorrow the second and third coat below the water line. Then if time will allow color coat from the water line up.

dozerII

Admiral

Great progress CT, paint is looking real good.

ctriverfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi all.
The paint was not hard enough to tape and prep for the color coat. Looking at it in the sun this morning I can see a sag in the paint just at the water line I will take care of that tonight.
Then tomorrow night lord willing and the crick don’t rise, tape and spray hunter green for the color coat.
I could be pushing it I will just have to see how things go.
Wish me luck.

64osby

Admiral

Keep it going, looks great.

ctriverfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi all. I got to work on the old gall today sanded the sides and taped her off and shot two coats of hunter green. This weekend l will finish the painting on the outside. Then she will sit in the sun for two weeks to harden up.
Picture 137.jpgPicture 139.jpgPicture 138.jpgPicture 140.jpg
Then the work starts on the inside. :)

barato2

Commander

lookin good! i love the color

ctriverfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

:mad: It looks like rain this weekend so, I go up at five a started in on her. Scuffed up the green and shot the third and forth coat on her.

Stripped the tape and this is as good as it gets. Picture 056.jpgPicture 057.jpgPicture 058.jpgPicture 059.jpg

She will sit in the sun for two week or so to harden up then it?s on to the inside and top side.

*********************:) YAHOOO ONE BIG STEP CLOSER TO FISHING :)******************

ctriverfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just before bringing her home.Picture 055.jpgPicture 054.jpg :cool:

For the people that would like to know.
# 1 Sandblast
# 2 Wash with Dawn dish soap
# 3 Scuff with red scotch bright.
# 4 Alodine scuff in with red scotch bright and then let sit for 30 min and clean with fresh water and let dry.
# 5 One thin coat of Z - Chromate Primer.
# 6 Two full cotes of self etch primer that is recommended by the paint MFG.
# 7 Scuff with red scotch bright blow off the dust and wipe down with rag and some thinner.
# 8 Spray two full coats “ In my case Ford Gray" let dry over night.
# 9 Scuff with Red scotch bright the whole boat and wipe with a tack cloth.
# 10 Spray two more heavy coats of gray from the bottom to the water line let dry for 24 to 36 hours.
# 11 Tape, Scuff with Red scotch bright wipe with tack cloth, spray two coats of Hunter Green let dry 6 to 8 hours.
# 12 Scuff with Red scotch bright wipe with tack cloth, spray two more coats of Hunter Green remove the tape when paint is still a little tacky.
# 13 Let the paint harden up good before you flip and put it back on the trailer. I always double what the paint MFG recommends.

In my book # 13 is the most important number. There is nothing like rolling the boat of the tailor for the first time and the paint sticks to the bunks.
In that case all you can say is damn you Murphy.:facepalm:

64osby

Admiral

Love the gloss Hunter Green, very nice work.

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Restore and Rebuild 74 Mariner 18? ( We Have The Technology )

Hi guys I am a newby here. Your work is inspiring and I have a new project boat. Sorry but it's a Lund. Hope you will still like me though. I need to replace the floor. Was thinkng about using marine plywood and epoxy and glass it. Pretty standard. However to finish it I was thinking about ventilated floor tiles. The vinyl ones that interlock. The thought is water will dry and I can remove it to clean and or coat the floor as necessesary. I would appreciate your thoughts on plusses and minuses. Also again Thanks for sharing your restoration it is an invaluable amount of info

I went ahead and moved this post ^^^^^^ to a new thread in Restoration. Hopefully not too confusing :)

Started new thread here: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=575086

InMotion

Commander

Great paint step by step detail man... and it looks terrific too! Keep up the great work!

ctriverfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok so I flipped the boat Please note I said ?I ?it was only me and it was not hard but one more person would have made things easer.
Sorry no pictures (Please do not suspend me LOL).
I did do this on the grass in the back yard.

This is how I did it. If you can see the two 2 x 6 that the boat is sitting on.

#1 I put a screw in eye hook in the ends of the boards.

# 2 I put a thick shipping blanket over the bottom of the boat. (I rented this at a rental center $ 15 bucks for the day bottom feeder ya know)

# 3 Ran a strap from eye hook to eye hook over the bottom and cinched it down good. Cinching from the side so when flipped I could still get at the strap.

# 4 At the center of the boat I pulled the boat sliding the boards along the bunks and the center rib of the trailer to the tipping point and lowered it to the ground.
My boat at this point is only a little over 200lbs, I am not lifting, just sliding.

# 5 At the center of the boat on the high side I hooked a rope up and pulled her over. She rolled like a ball.

# 6 Unhooked the straps moved the trailer to the front of the boat, sprayed down the bunks with water and winched the boat back on the trailer.
Please Note I did not have the trailer hooked to the truck.

Planning Planning and more Planning kept Murphy off my back. I knew I was going to have to do this alone so I planed for it.

As I said one more person would have made things easer but at 54 years old and all of 5?8 and 195 lbs I did it in a little less then 1 ? hours with out breaking a sweat or damaging the boat . The only thing to look out for is the trailer will tip up when the boat is first starting on the trailer and will slowly come back down as the boat comes past the tipping point. Having the trailer tip up is a good thing as it will lessen the strain on your winch rope/ strap.
Please make sure that the winch rope is new or in very good shape because this will put a tremendous strain on it and having it snap in the middle of this would not be a good.

If your rope/strap snaps the whole thing will come crashing down so stay clear as you winch the boat on this way.

Just trying to keep Murphy off your back or in this case the trailer :~)

Now on to flotation foam and then the deck there will be picture of that :~)
Picture 058flip.jpg

ctriverfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So I’ve been cutting and stuffing foam and cutting and stuffing more foam 12.5 cubic feel and still going.
I will not be able to hit 26 cubic feet but I will stuff as much as possible. Can any one think how I can put more in?
26 cubic feet is one big block 24” x 96 “x 19.5”. I figure when I am finished putting foam under the deck I should have almost 15 cubic feet.
But that will only float 900 Lbs. I need more space Help. Picture 061.jpgPicture 060.jpg Any thoughts from all of you in starcraft land?
Am I not seeing the forest because of the trees. :confused:

ctriverfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I fabricated two new end caps for the transom; I also applied some eye candy and installed the bumper strips.
I made the blue print for the end caps for the bumper strips and have saw cut the stock to fabricate them.
More pictures to come.

Picture 062.jpgPicture 065.jpgPicture 066.jpgPicture 064.jpgPicture 067.jpg

cj8mule

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Looks great. That's some sweet eye candy.

I wouldn't mind a few more pics of those end caps you fabed up or how you made them

ctriverfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

cj8mule: I will be posting more on the end caps soon.