Replacing a 1999 3.0 mercruiser

inletlife2015

Seaman
Ok my 99 Bayliner with the 86 Mercruiser 140 was not getting spark. I used the distributor and the coil that was on the 99 3.0 Merc. I used the marker plate on the main drive pulley, lined up the notch on 0. ( That should be TDC right ? ) Installed the distributor making sure the # 1 plug was in the correct position. I tried tweaking it to the left and right but could never get the motor to fire. Have I done something wrong here ? I knew getting the timing just right would be tricky but I just wanted to reach out here for as much feedback as possible. Thanks for any advice !

inletlife2015

Seaman
Yep...getting spark. getting gas.. figure it has to be the timing just cant seem to get it right unless im missing something else.

SeattleMatt

Petty Officer 1st Class
A compression test would be my next step, very low compression can result in no fire condition. It can also give you some idea of the condition of the motor you are putting in.

inletlife2015

Seaman
A compression test would be my next step, very low compression can result in no fire condition. It can also give you some idea of the condition of the motor you are putting in.

The compression was good when I installed the motor. Ran it for about 5 hours on the water and the motor ran like a champ. Last time on the water, it died and would not re start. found a dead battery and bad points. That is when I decided to use the distributor and coil off of the original motor.

Fun Times

Staff member
it died and would not re start. found a dead battery and bad points. That is when I decided to use the distributor and coil off of the original motor.
Since you switched distributor ignition systems from points to electronic, you need to ensure you're getting full 12+ volts to the coil (even during crank) now as the 1989 engine should have used a resistance wire such as item number 25, http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_...CAL+COMPONENTS

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/selec...4++1987%2D1989
You'll need to find your new engine serial number rang for the correct parts catalog of your 1999 engine model,
3.0L GM 181 I/L4 1 1998
0L097000 THRU 0W301999

Rick Stephens

Admiral
You might get a spark gap tester. They are really reasonable, seen them as low as $12. Plugs in line and gives you an idea of whether your ignition is sending a strong enough spark.

8035043619.jpeg

Bondo

Staff member
I used the distributor and the coil that was on the 99 3.0 Merc. I used the marker plate on the main drive pulley, lined up the notch on 0. ( That should be TDC right ? )

Ayuh,.... Only every other time around,.....

My guess is, ya got the distributor in, at 180? out of time,....

Rick Stephens

Admiral
The way to know you are at #1 TDC is take the plug out, then hold your finger over the plug hole and crank the engine. When pressure builds up on the hole you are on compression stroke for #1. It will pop your finger right off the hole. If you come up on 0 degree mark and there is no pressure then you are a whole rotation off.

inletlife2015

Seaman
The way to know you are at #1 TDC is take the plug out, then hold your finger over the plug hole and crank the engine. When pressure builds up on the hole you are on compression stroke for #1. It will pop your finger right off the hole. If you come up on 0 degree mark and there is no pressure then you are a whole rotation off.

Good advice Rick and Bondo / will do that again. I thought I may have missed something there.
Question, I turned the motor very little at a time, with the prop because it looks impossible to turn from the front of the motor. What is the easiest way to turn that motor over ?

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Make sure your fan belt is tight, then take a flat bar - or even a square shaft screwdriver - and put it between the bolt heads on the water circulating pump pulley. You can then turn the pulley to turn the engine.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Last time I did it I replaced a couple of the bolts on the harmonic balancer/drive pulleys with longer ones and used the bar on those. When I tried to turn the motor with the water pump the belts slipped. Whatever you do, it is not safe to use the center bolt on the balancer. It will go too deep and either deform the balancer or strip the threads in the crank.