Removing painted on hull ID #'s

Sharp Shooter

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Removing painted on hull ID #'s

My brother in law has been painting boats for 30 plus years and says he uses Eazy Off oven cleaner.

normal_DSC07982.JPG

1fishbone

Chief Petty Officer

To remove the decal numbers, heat gun on low heat and a razor blade, if you're worried about gouging the gel coat use a plastic scraper.
Then wipe of the goo with WD40.

They look like newer numbers, they may just pick off with your fingernail.

thesledhead

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi there I posted this on another forum and got a mixed reaction. I just bought a boat from Arizona and I'm in Colorado, well the old owner had the Arizona hull ID #'s painted on over the gel coat. Do any of you know what I can use to remove the paint without hurting the gel coat???
View attachment 73560

To remove the decal numbers, heat gun on low heat and a razor blade, if you're worried about gouging the gel coat use a plastic scraper.
Then wipe of the goo with WD40.

They look like newer numbers, they may just pick off with your fingernail.

its not a sticker bro they are PAINTED

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

its a state registration # :confused: look at the pic?? you got me wondering if I should take any advice form the internet LOL

Hahahaha...I have said that for years. Lots of good info here, but TONS of misinformation as well.

The last few comments just show how bad we Americans can read (or can't as the saying goes). Obviously, if you don't read the whole thread and understand what the OP says, you will give the wrong answer.

Absolutely true that acetone is used to clean fiberglass tools. Just like you clean your paint brush with water after you paint with latex paint. But, after the paint on your walls dry, its not a problem to wash them with water. Right?

Just take a poll and do what the majority says to do!

Sixmark

Master Chief Petty Officer

You can use a rubber detailing wheel if you are careful with it , they work great for removing decals, and painted on pinstripes, graphics, etc. Most autobody supply places sell them.

My boat was a different animal and I actually had to resort to wet sanding the numbers that the previous owner had painted on. Again this requires working carefully and checking your work as you go.

Andy'sDelight

Petty Officer 1st Class

Oven Cleaner. Spray it on, open beer, sit back and drink beer, when finished with beer wipe it off and wash it down.