Reel spooling question

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Reel spooling question

i think the prob is the size of the guide. spinning and casting rods are two differant animals. you loaded a spin reel with a casting rod.spinreels need the bigger guides .
The line is under tension when spooled so the size of the guide should have nothing to do with the problem.

A spinning rod does not need anywhere near the size guides they put on rods built using the tradtional "cone of flight" method. Take a look at a spinning rod built using the "Concept" method one time. The guides are 1/2 the size and the rod performs considerably better.

MRS

Commander

Thanks MarkVT and others. I just got word my docks and lift are in so we're splashing the boat this Saturday for the season, and there's no way I'll get out of fishing this weekend with my 7yr old. I've created a monster there. lol. This kid lam-bastes me every day as to why we're not going out. I'm going to pull that pole out and give it a try. Otherwise I'll despool and retry again using the techniques described here and report back.

Thanks again everyone for all the great input and help for a newb!

Brian.

Just put a weight on the line let it out and respool tight back on the reel and get that kid a fish. Make sure theres not to much line on the spool also hope you have a great day on the water.....:)

bkwapisz

Chief Petty Officer

Well we went from 80 degrees to 40 degrees in the same week here in Northern Michigan. Saturday we expect snow flurries. :mad: I'm hoping to get on the water on Sunday after church. Partly to try to respool the rod but mostly to get my son off my back. :redface: Sucks to have the docks in, the boat lift empty, and the boat on a trailer in the backyard. I need about 2 hours of no rain to finish the fuel level sender install and get her ready for the water, then I'll reposrt back.

Thanks again for all the help.

Fed up

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i frequently fish with my Father -n-law and he is continulay having problems with line twist on his spinning set ups.. he has done some crazy stuff trying to get rid of his line twist.. he has came up with a devils horse and locked down the blades so that the entire thing spins on retrive to untwist his line...and about every other outing he has to put down one rod due to a snarled line...

me on the other hand rarly has a problem with line twist. my secret line loading method may seem a bit cave manish to some of you guys...

simpy tread the line throught the guides, then tie an overhand knot at the end then tie around the spool with an overhand knot...the first will lock it to the spool...(note i do use smaller spools for this)...then throw the spool on the ground and apply a bit of presure with my fingers and wind away, letting the spool bounce and jump and run where ever it seems fit...when i am done i head out and go fishing...tie on a swivel and a heavy crank bait...make two or three cast then i am ready for a month or so of fishing...or untill i change my line..

Rscardina

Chief Petty Officer

In my experience spooling line... I alsways take the spool and run a short piece of electrical wire through the center hole.. the i take two rubber bands and twist them on either side of the spool to hold the spool from running or swiveling... i fashion the other ends of the eletcical wire across a couple of nails i have in a block of wood...

then i just reel with tension and she comes off the spool with no twist..

ive tried laying it down but as you all know you get a lot of twist...so i think having the spool sit vertically on a wire between two nails is a nie easy way to get the line off as is what spun on the reel...

RicMic

Chief Petty Officer

Regardless of how you do it with a fixed spool spinning reel, you are going to get line twist, either when you first load the spool or the first time you let it off the spool. Like several others had said, I came to the conclusion that the best thing to do, is load up several reels and on the next trip to the lake, let out almost all of the line(surprising how much drag the line alone will have), set the rods in holders and take a slow cruise, a little while later, you can reel them in and the line will be twist free and nicely wrapped on the spool.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

On a conventional setup you want line hold the spool perpendicular to the reel and have the line come straight off the spool and onto the reel.

On a spinner you want to lay the spool on its side and let the line come off in spool in coils. Most the guys I know that use spinners use the #1/4 spools of line and slip the spool inside a beer cozy and sit them on the floor. The line still comes off the way it was put on the spool and the cozy maintains a constant pressure on the line while spooling.

The best way to prevent line twist and wind knots on a spinner is to manually close the bail. Close the bail by hand then give the line a jerk before you start to wind. Becomes second nature after you done it for a while.

bkwapisz

Chief Petty Officer

Well after several hundred casts and some trolling the line seems to have evened out.

Thanks for all the help fellas!

B