Rebuilding Mercury 90 hp 2 cycles 3 cyclinders (1987) - 100, 100, 75 psi

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Rebuilding Mercury 90 hp 2 cycles 3 cyclinders (1987) - 100, 100, 75 psi

A fresh water block would be better IMO. A salt water block could have more damage to the metal from being in the salt water. As for the cost of everything. You have two options, rebuild what you have, or buy another motor, and part the bad one out to reduce some of the cost of a different motor. This choice is up to you and your wallet. Either way you go will cost $$$.
JMO
Oldman570

ib18

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Rebuilding Mercury 90 hp 2 cycles 3 cyclinders (1987) - 100, 100, 75 psi

ok, good to hear. already got the Johnson 90hp onto my boat, see the video how i lift the 300 pounds monster single handed without help with my boat powerwinch T1650 to lift the 300 pounds engine off my picnic table and onto the back of my boat - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtA7vbykxaw

I still want to pursue rebuilding mercury 90hp, because mercury is lighter and more gas efficient. Thanks. More money will be spent is for sure. My motivation is when i sit on the lake or in the bay. The enjoyment is beyond words. I am my own captain. I can stay or go without others telling me when. so onto the project.

I will run the motor next week with fresh gas, and then replace impeller, lower gear oil. maybe thermostat etc.

Last edited: