Ramp Shoes

Status
Not open for further replies.

drrpm

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I have been wearing a pair of Chacos when boating for the last few years. Usually I have the boat launched by the time my wife and kids get to the ramp so that means my feet get wet. If they are there for the launch my feet stay dry (at least until I jump in ;)).

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
this has turned into an interesting post :) My boat sits high on the trailer. It' a blessing because I will never accidently hit the engine pulling out of the ramp, but the i have to put the trailer in a little deeper. Most of the ramps I use are shallow inclines too. I think that might be a big difference that some see - they might have really steep ramps.

I'm worried about slipping not getting wet, we fire up the boat and go out 100 yards and i jump in and yell "hit it"

Last edited:

cdnNick

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Dollar store knock-off crocs for me. It's all rubber so there is no smell.

thumpar

Admiral
this has turned into an interesting post :) My boat sits high on the trailer. It' a blessing because I will never accidently hit the engine pulling out of the ramp, but the i have to put the trailer in a little deeper. Most of the ramps I use are shallow inclines too. I think that might be a big difference that some see - they might have really steep ramps.

I'm worried about slipping not getting wet, we fire up the boat and go out 100 yards and i jump in and yell "hit it"
That is my setup too. It sits high on the trailer and the ramps are shallow.

oldjeep

Admiral
As far as slipping, I'm not sure that my bare feet are any different than when I have sandals on. Luckily it is pretty rare that my ramp is slick, but I always make sure to look.

There is one ramp I used to use for launching my parents pontoon. It was so flat that you would get your feet wet getting out of the truck since the truck was in 4" of water and about 6 feet from shore before the boat floated ;)

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Why are you standing in the water at the ramp?

My sailboat won't get the transom damp before the water is up to the axle of my truck... Generally I get the trailer wheels wet then manhandle the boat back (just 250 lb hull) off the trailer, but that means wet feet.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
There is one ramp I used to use for launching my parents pontoon. It was so flat that you would get your feet wet getting out of the truck since the truck was in 4" of water and about 6 feet from shore before the boat floated ;)
That's the same way when I launch my pontoon. There is absolutely no way you can launch it without getting wet.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

This is what I'm talking about. Where I access at the end of our street it's flat and shallow. I have to get the boat 300' off shore before I can lower the engine all the way so again, yes it can be a pain but it's convenient that even after bringing the trail home were it is safe I can be on the water in minutes instead of almost an hour by the time I drive to the city ramp and then fight to find a place to park. Then on the weekends that time almost doubles just trying to get thru town.

My biggest problem with getting wet is when the water temp gets below 55deg.

southkogs

Staff member
I actually just find that the cool water feels kinda' nice ... the colder it gets the more inclined I am to climb around the truck and trailer, but summer time it's kinda' nice to get my feet wet.

Status
Not open for further replies.