Ramp Shoes

Status
Not open for further replies.

thumpar

Admiral
There would be no way to launch and retrieve my boat without getting in the water. I usually do it barefoot but when the algae gets bad I use flip flops.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
I don't get my feet wet either and I've owned over a dozen boats of various types. Just see no need to get wet to launch or retrieve.

oldjeep

Admiral
Do ya get the feeling these guys wadding around are the ones slowing things up at the ramp??

Do you winch slower when your feet are wet? You would have to power load the crap out of my boat to get it on the trailer and stay dry. I find it amuzing that people have concerns over wet feet - likely those fishermen in long pants, boots and sweatshirts that we still see when it is 70+

thumpar

Admiral
My boat can't sit between the fenders because of the beam width. It sits above so I to get it deep enough that the winch has to be over the water. Also it is a bunk trailer so it does just slide off like a roller. Most of the time I am in about. 2.5' of water to get it on and off.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
Do you winch slower when your feet are wet? You would have to power load the crap out of my boat to get it on the trailer and stay dry. I find it amuzing that people have concerns over wet feet - likely those fishermen in long pants, boots and sweatshirts that we still see when it is 70+

No, I just can't fathom why one would need to get wet to launch or load a boat,...

I've never had to wallow around in the water for any boat I've owned,..

Seahawk170

Seaman
My vote is BF Goodrich XtraTuf (neoprene rubber boots), will last many-many years provided not punctured by a nail.
Only needed for low-grade launching ramps. Around here not needed since most our ramps are steep enough to launch/retreive with back of truck at water's edge.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
My boat can't sit between the fenders because of the beam width. It sits above so I to get it deep enough that the winch has to be over the water. Also it is a bunk trailer so it does just slide off like a roller. Most of the time I am in about. 2.5' of water to get it on and off.
I assume you mean "doesn't".

All my trailers are roller except for 1. That has slicks on the bunks.

With the rollers I unhook the winch and strap, and then push and it slides off with no effort. With the slicks I have to hold on to the bow rail because as soon as I unhook it goes off by itself.

No need to get wet feet. Its not the wetness, its the need to have to take off the shoes, put on the shoes, walk on slippery ramp, etc.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
On some ramps I can launch without getting wet and on some I can't. I am not amazed though that some people are arrogant enough to comment that if you get wet you are doing it wrong.

thumpar

Admiral
I assume you mean "doesn't".

All my trailers are roller except for 1. That has slicks on the bunks.

With the rollers I unhook the winch and strap, and then push and it slides off with no effort. With the slicks I have to hold on to the bow rail because as soon as I unhook it goes off by itself.

No need to get wet feet. Its not the wetness, its the need to have to take off the shoes, put on the shoes, walk on slippery ramp, etc.

Correct.

I actually had my trailer tongue extended 3' so I didn't have the get the tailpipe in the water. The ramps are not that steep and my boat sits high on the trailer. With my bunks I could probably tow it without any hooks are straps and it wouldn't budge. It is heavy and wide with a low deadrise.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
On some ramps I can launch without getting wet and on some I can't. I am not amazed though that some people are arrogant enough to comment that if you get wet you are doing it wrong.

Agreed!

1/2 these guys wouldn't want to use the ramp I use and the other 1/2 wouldn't be able to. All gravel, no concrete, no pier. When the rear of the truck is at waters edge the transom on this 16' boat still isn't in the water most of the time. Not a problem on launching. Big problem on retrieval.. No drive on here, no power loading because most of the time the end of the trailer is barely in the water.

PITA yes, but it's only 2 minutes from home driving backwards and it's free! I can be on my fishing spot with the truck and trailer back at home by the time it would take to just drive to the pay ramp. So yes I'll get wet for that.

SkaterRace

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I use cheap old navy flip flops or bare feet. Replace the flip flops about once every 2-3 years for around $5.

NYBo

Admiral
Crocs boat shoes.
crocs-crocs-beach-line-espresso-stucco-ux6-14327-26l-mens-boat-shoes-p1484-4787_zoom.jpg

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Geeze, a lot of opinions... lol You enjoy being on the water, but don't want to get one- tenth of your body wet. That's part of the deal folks. Hope you take a shower every so often.. By the way, you get wet in the shower:rolleyes:.

Status
Not open for further replies.