Project "MyLiner" / Deck, stringer, upholstery replacement, maybe more on a Bayliner

Re: Project "MyLiner" / Deck, stringer, upholstery replacement, maybe more on a Bayli

Re: Project "MyLiner" / Deck, stringer, upholstery replacement, maybe more on a Bayli

I'll come by and drink your brew and gander at your bay liner. I'm close by

mrshake

Seaman

How many posts can we get to that are not boat related?!?!? hehehe

The brew was successful this weekend, so in 10-14 days I'll have 10 gallons of beer to help fuel the grinding to come!!

kfa4303

Banned

btw....what is "electric brewing"? Never heard of that.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Look back, right after the pixels of his 2 keg & orange 5gal cooler pix (post #58), I posted link to another website, there you will find the answer.

Glad to hear the brew was a success. If you'll recycle some Corona bottles oops will be right down to lend you a hand. A few home brew will probably make it easier to get some help when its time to flip her & work on the hull.
And now that the brew is working solo, you'll have more time to work on the boat.????????????:)

mrshake

Seaman

My brewing setup is all electric. I use high wattage water heater elements to bring water to a boil, or whatever temp I need for the brewing process. Its all controlled by a very specialized Arduino microcontroller.

all very geeky... but it makes some tasty suds!

mrshake

Seaman

Look back, right after the pixels of his 2 keg & orange 5gal cooler pix (post #58), I posted link to another website, there you will find the answer.

Glad to hear the brew was a success. If you'll recycle some Corona bottles oops will be right down to lend you a hand. A few home brew will probably make it easier to get some help when its time to flip her & work on the hull.
And now that the brew is working solo, you'll have more time to work on the boat.????????????:)

I dunno.... I can't let my good beer ever touch a CLEAR corona bottle.... however... I have hundreds of old sam adams bottles waiting to be filled. I keg all my beer (my home bar has 5 taps) so the bottles are rarley used!

jbcurt00

Staff member

I dunno.... I can't let my good beer ever touch a CLEAR corona bottle.... however... I have hundreds of old sam adams bottles waiting to be filled. I keg all my beer (my home bar has 5 taps) so the bottles are rarley used!

Great, now boat envy has been replaced by bar envy:eek:

I suspect that home brew via tap would WAY overcompensate for the lack of a corona bottle. Home brew would probably look just wrong in a clear bottle anyway....

W/ the keg setup, ya might need to keep the help away from the taps until AFTER the boat flip:D. Post flip, let the taps be a flowin'....

mrshake

Seaman

BACK FROM THE DEAD!!!

I actually got out to the garage for an hour or so this weekend to do some work. Took pictures and everything. I promise I'll find time to post them and everything.

But, the rundown of what I did:

1. Took the Tank out.
The dang thing was not screwed down, has no flanges. They did "glass" it in with sprayed down chopped strand on 3 of the 4 sides. I used my multitool to cut/score the glass and get it out... after that she pulled out easy peasy!

2. Core sampled the stringers and motor mounts
What did I find? Wood (BOO) How did it look? 4 of 5 holes were dry clean wood, no discoloration at all. Heck, it was so clean I almost thought it was foam. 1 out of 5 holes had some dark colors (like, knot colored), and I did get one with a little grey/black in it. I'm leaning tword pulling them out just to be safe. More samples maybe? The motor mounts were dry and clean everywhere I drilled.

So, thats what I did. I'd hoped to get back to it this weekend, but I may have a pressing job to do.. and gotta make the money before you can spend it!!

I'll get pics and do a quick update video soon!! I PROMISE!!

jbcurt00

Staff member

Find anyone who theoretically, might hypothetically fix hypothetical tank oops yet? <<-- I gotta figure out how differentiate accidental oops from hull stretching oops.

Anyway, I hope you can get it done reasonably. Unless the tank is hiding some nastiness inside, it looked pretty good til, well ya know.... If not, found any possible replacement tanks? I think JDA's tank mods & welding were @$50, and at least as much work as a fairly small saw cut.

Hope the brew cooked up good & is dang tasty. Good luck w/ the gig that is pressing, or is it more of an Extreme Ironing?

Either way, we'll be around & watching for the pixs & vids!:D

mrshake

Seaman

Ok, weekend gig is complete (emergency website build and deployment), waiting on payment, but hopefully that means I'll have some time!! Beer comes out of the fermenter tonight, so it should be ready to drink in just a few days!

WOOT!! Hopefully, more progress soon!

jbcurt00

Staff member

Ok, weekend gig is complete (emergency website build and deployment), waiting on payment, but hopefully that means I'll have some time!! Beer comes out of the fermenter tonight, so it should be ready to drink in just a few days!

WOOT!! Hopefully, more progress soon!

Just in time for LOTS of extra help on Sat:eek::D Better order up some crowd control barricades & turn styles. The mob recently bought a Greyhound, ticket sales are brisk!

Good luck keeping the help out of the beverage cooler & on task. Look forward to a photo of home brew & some progress<<-- order the photos to suit you: HomeBrew then Progress or Progress 1st, either way, it's progress!

Funkiegh_g

Cadet

Unbelievable!... I just started tearing down my 1988 Capri Cuddy 1952 for a floor/stringer replacement and a bit of upholstery work - and I'm thinking of getting my old brewing kit back into service. This is surely the dream thread!

Firstly, I have to say I've been skulking around the forums here and on the BOC site (should I mention them here??) for some time and I'm inspired by the amount of support and information out there. However, yours is the first I've seen with video and it really does make a difference so thanks and do keep it up.

I'm posting a couple of my pics showing engine bay (had to take it out for some work last year so it's nice and cosy in the garage) and cabin area. I've taken the most rotted floor areas up and removed the large soggy lump of foam fore of the fuel tank and the stringer damage is pretty obvious there. They are basically lightly glassed ply on my model, and there's not much of the ply left!

DSCN1055.jpg
DSCN1056.jpg

The boat is covered but outside my house on the south coast in the UK. Temperatures are sub-zero at the moment so I'm mainly in the research phase!! I'm currently deciding whether to takeout the seat boxes as you've done and if I should replace the floor areas under the rear seats (anchor store and battery compartment). Obviously the floor panel extends under these areas but they seem sound and the rot doesn't seem too bad up to where its been cut. Removal involves a whole world of pain so maybe I could I just use a resin stabiliser?

Transom etc seems fine although there's a bit of rot around the rear sides below where the air vents go as you can see here.

DSCN1053.jpg

I've had the boat for 6 years now and used it up to 3 years ago when it half filled with rainwater after I'd forgotten to take out the drain plug. Otherwise it's been kept pretty well on a trailer. Using core samples is a good suggestion though so I may have a go at that. Any other advice also gratefully received.

I look forward to following your progress mrshake. I don't intend to hijack you thread so may well start my own.
Good luck and enjoy the brew. Have to say that weizen is a favourite of mine when in Germany but never tried to make my own. I'm a confirmed british real ale guy :)

mrshake

Seaman

Oh... I LOVES me some British real ale... heck, I love ANY of the English beers (browns, milds, etc).

If your looking for good video's for restore stuff, check out Frisco Boater's sea ray thread, AWESOME STUFF there.
I intend to keep videoing, I hope its helpful!

Now get out there and start your own rebuild thread so I can stalk you for advice!

mrshake

Seaman

Ok, since garage time is eluding me (except for another beer brewing session on Saturday), I'm going to do a little "Cart before the horse" dreaming here.

The wife and I were talking about the re-build portion of this resto... and about seating arrangement. We talked about 3 options.

1. Back to Stock / 2 Fold down/lounge seats and the 2 seats on either side of the doghouse
2. Two Captains chairs and a bench in front of the engine, with an expanded engine compartment
3. One Captain's chair (for the Captain) and an L-shaped bench with an expanded engine compartment.

The wife liked option 3 the best, and I like the extra storage space it would provide. But this is NOT a big boat. Any thoughts?

jbcurt00

Staff member

I'm sure I could find 1, but have you got an overhead shot of the factory setup? a line drawing from a brochure would be sufficient. Something like mine:
IMAG0314.jpg

And you could put some dimensions on it too:
SOBseating.jpg

You'll get lots of help, esp if the brew is finished:D

mrshake

Seaman

here is a MEGA CRUDE Ipad drawing of the 3 ideas. Left is the STOCK, middle is the 2 captains and the bench, right is L shaped.

7c08dc52.jpg

I'll get measurements soon...

jbcurt00

Staff member

If it were me, I'd probably try to get the most of each: seating, storage & deck space by using 1 captain's chair for the captain, and the rest as drawn in idea #1. 1 fold out, and 2 motor well jump seats. That would be 5 people in the 'back' of the boat & still have room upfront for a couple more when cruising. Some storage under 1 of 2 jump seats (the other battery) and storage under the port fold out. The bow seats & the folded out seat would be sundeck 'like' in a hazy, far off & not real clear kind of way. But could be used while under power. This also minimizes the amount of wholly custom upholstery.

Otherwise the large rear bench could abut a large sundeck area covering the entire stern area, as shown in #2 & 3 as a squiggle. But this is only for anchored & drifting use, under power it is 100% off limits. Not even sitting upright along the front w/ feet on the bench.

Decide about how many people you want seated behind the windshield & choose from #2 or #3 based on the # of seats needed. It looks like #3's L shaped bench might seat 2 more regular adults, & possibly 3 or 4 more kids then #2. 5 if they are friends instead of brother (s) & sister (s)...:facepalm:

That's my $0.0175 & IMHO

mrshake

Seaman

Good food for thought. Bear in mind, the boat doesn't have a large capacity anyway... 5 people I think is on the capacity plate..

And that back "squiggly" area would be a sun deck, and for sure off limits while under way. Currently, its just the wife and our 10 month old using the boat regularly. With the occasional fishing trip with a buddy. I can see doing some skiing and tubing when we visit my Dad, but most people would be on his houseboat, with the bayliner being just the fun boat. SO I don't really see having more than, say 4 people in the boat at any time.

mrshake

Seaman

Oh, and I wanted to mention, staying with option 1, or going with option 1 with a captains chair for the capitan is problematic for storage.

The way its configured currently, battery is under the starbord side jump seat. A cooler is under the port side jump seat, and the only storage in the bow is the anchor locker.

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Shake, I asked the same question about set-up on my thread... The majority of the feedback I received (which I think was spot on) is that "this is totally a personal opinion." Its your boat, brother, and it's your canvas. Do with it as you wish!!!

For me, the captains chairs with the rear bench seat/sun pad was a bit too "tight" for my taste - However, I don't have any bow seating (like you do), and I also have 4 kids - so space is a premium for a me.

Again, this is such a matter of personal opinion, but the L shaped with the captains chair has never really "hit my eye right." It just feels sort of "pontoon boat" - ish... I know some of the high-end tow-boats (Moomba, Tige, Nautique, etc...) use that set-up but they have really nice lay-out, upholstery, etc... If you are inclined to go that route, look at some of those ski-boats for reference.

I know bay-liner had some rear jump seats that could be pushed up to make a sun-pad so you can sort of have the best of both worlds. Maybe look into that... Also, you have a "Long" way to go before you get that this stage, so plenty of time to think about it.

Good luck.