Project Fuggly - No Longer Fuggly And Splashed!!!!!!

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Just out of curiosity, is there a special tool that allows you to put the radius in the large square stock at the top? Or, were you able to purchase it to spec? I ask because I plan on fabing up a rear seat and steering console for a work barge I am making out of a 25' pontoon. The seat and console will be mounted over the outboard so as to give as much free deck space as possible. Having a couple of curved pieces might make it look a little nicer.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Thanks for the complements guys, hoping to get some paint on the bottom of it tonight. Jake, I had the curved tube rolled by a local steel company. You might check with local fabricators to see if they have the equipment. I think it was about $90 including the material.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Thanks Woe, got paint on it tonight. so I need two more warm days to install it and hook up the opener...but its getting cold tomorrow, so I'll worry about that when it warms up. Not my best paint job. but it should work for a gate.

This weekend I am getting things ready for the ceiling in the hangar.......should be back to fuggly around Christmas, which will be nice since I am taking a week off!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Merry Christmas Arch
images

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Ok I got side tracked with some other projects, getting back to Fuggly this weekend. I still need to do some cleaning, then move her back into the shop. I have been pondering the bow stop / winch assembly again. I have a few ideas that I think I will mock up, but i need to track down a new winch today.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
One other thing to throw out there, I'm going to paint the top half....clean it up, ditch the front railings and the 6,000 snaps for top that I guess it once had. Any suggestions on colors? I am pondering going back original or red to match the rest of the fleet :D. I'm leaning towards a beige or gray / silver for the interior. I like white, but it is such a chore to keep looking clean! I don't want to go dark with the upholstery, the OK sun and dark colors = 150 degree upholstery lol!

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
She would look nice with some royal blue!!! Glad to see you back at it again!!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Just a suggestion. Whatever color you chose, pin-strip it as well and that will set it off and look classy. It really is amazing how such a little pin strip or two can change a simple color scheme to an outstanding one. JMHO!

jbcurt00

Staff member
Similar to original minty seafoamy green topsides

Off white/cream not quite biege interior

Camel/khaki/tan upholstery w piping to match interior off white

Or there abouts ;)

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I kinda like the aqua green color that it is ... And some pin stripes as gm suggested would look nice ..

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
I like the aqua green it is,.....

Have you tried to buff it out???

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
With the boxes of light fixtures on the floor I suppose no grid installed yet .. :D

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I spent about 4 hours moving stuff around, cleaning, organizing and finally getting Fuggly where I can work on her.

Teamster, she will buff out, but she has rash really bad on the bow from the old bow bracket....some the gel is actual missing. there are also two small holes that some idiot made with a sawzal while taking the dash out...:D I also want to loose the bow rails and the 6,000 snaps for the full top. So that is why I talked myself into painting her. Oh and the 6 is 1' longer than the 4 banger, so the dog house rear seats have to be rethought. I may modify the rear deck during that whole process. I am leaning towards the original color, thanks for all the opinions!

I did tinker with tie idea of silver, cool, but not period for this boat. I want to clean it up a bit, but keep with the original design spirit.

JB I may end up somewhere along those lines...you just have to be careful what you pick in OK, the silt in the sand is red, so it seems to end up on the upholstery when everyone gets in the boat. I used to clean my white sea ray upholstery all the time....then 5 minutes later it has a red foot print on it again :eek:

I also picked up a two speed 2500# winch and a trailer jack this afternoon. Tomorrow I am going to get moving on laying out the bow assembly and some kind of guide rails......I was also pondering steps tonight......

By the way, I'm going to paint the trailer white, and I'm thinking black carpet for the bunks.

jbcurt00

Staff member
So ruddy red upholstery, carpet and interior gelcoat.... problem solved, see how easy that was :lol:

Good luck tomorrow

jbcurt00

Staff member
No problem, happy to help ;)

Your Iboats Mod team is chock full of problem solvers: We are here for you :llama:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I made a little progress today, spent a good part of it trying to sort out what I was going to do. I started with the easy task, and welded on the jack.

After that I contemplated the forward bow bracket / winch mount. I think I have a plan figured out for that. I'm going to try to pick up a piece of plate sometime this week to mount the winch to. Of all the stuff in my scrap steel collection, nothing was the right size, go figure!

I also angst about the guide rails on the sides for a while. I really don't like them even though they are very functional. They don't look very nice and they are always in the way if you are trying to wax the boat. I was thinking about it last night and decided to look at putting a guide on the inside of the sponsons. It was pretty curvy and the outside of the boat was strait.....but I finally decided that it was fine if only part of the hull was touching the guided on the inside of the sponsons. The main thing I wanted to accomplish was centering the boat as I pull it out of the water. The guide rails will probably work better in the water, but I think this will do the trick....if not I own a welder, lol!

I screwed a 1/2" piece of plywood to the 2x6 as a spacer. That will come off later, giving me a little slop side to side. I'm going to get it all tacked up, then do full welds and dress it after I take the boat back off.