Project Fuggly - No Longer Fuggly And Splashed!!!!!!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Looks heavy ... will it swing or roll back and forth ... Motorized ? .. Maybe fold down like the Bat Cave ! :D

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Not being critical...Is that wax paper or something stuck to the welds? Maybe a trick some of us do not know?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Not being critical...Is that wax paper or something stuck to the welds? Maybe a trick some of us do not know?

I think you are seeing grinding rash. Usually when you weld things, you follow up with smoothing them out with an angle grinder so primer and paint looks better. JMHO!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Thanks for the praise Willy, I try to do my best. Measure 1200 times, then hope you have it right! Seems to work 50% of the time!

Thanks GM, I want to get this out of the way, its been on the back burner. Its me crossing the last few things off my tornado rebuild list. It will be nice to come home and have a gate!

Nurseman, I wish! It would be cool to have a tubing bender like that. I had it rolled 2-1/2 years ago, right before my tornado hit my place, Its been in storage / the hanger waiting on me to get back to it.....

Sam, it is a slider. The operator is motorized, it was back ordered. Which was a blessing, if it had arrived on time I would have had the gate and operator installed just in time for the tornado to eat it. Fortunately, the operator showed up a few days after the tornado. So it has been in storage with the rolled tube and rolled plate. It really isn't that heavy right now, but I'm fixing to add a bunch of 1/2" round rod.....my guess is it will be 400# or so.

Jake, GM is correct, I just rough dressed the welds. When you do that it knocks the black stuff (mill scale) off of the tubing. Raw steel has the scale on it, sometimes it is heavy than others. Its king of a nasty black coating, once you grind it off the steel is shiny below.

I drilled 35 1/2" holes tonight in a rolled 3/8" plate. Tomorrow, hopefully that and about 300' of 1/2" round rod will start to make the fan come together. I'll take some pics and post them if you guys are interested.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I also decided that I need a name for the hanger / new shop when I get it done. I have been working with a friend on the logo, let me know what you guys think. The hanger is also going to get a new interior pretty soon....its going to be cool to have a really first class shop....work in progess, but much nicer than anything I have ever had, Here is the logo

Let me know what you think.

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
:thumb:for the logo, and yes! post the gate pics! I for one would really like to see the progress.

jbcurt00

Staff member
I like the logo but is it supposed to be

hangAr 57

Or

hangEr 57?

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Its supposed to be "ar" as in aircraft hangar JB. Good catch on my typo, you made me nervous! I thought the logo was wrong for a moment! :eek: Architects aren't known for great spelling :D

jbcurt00

Staff member
Its supposed to be "ar" as in aircraft hangar JB. Good catch on my typo, you made me nervous! I thought the logo was wrong for a moment! :eek: Architects aren't known for great spelling :D

A or E its a nice space.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I like the logo. Nice layout as well. Go for it. And of course you have to post the progress shots too. :thumb:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I made a lot of progress today. Here is the rolled plate that I drilled the 35 1/2" holes into last night. I started out by cutting it into a half circle.

After that I welded it to the frame. Most of my time is actually spent clamping things down and making sure they are square, etc. Welding has a tendency to warp things if you don't have them tied down.

Cutting and fitting each of the rods was a pretty good chore. I have them laid out and ready for cutting / fitting in this pic.

Here is the final photo of the day.

The rectangles at the bottom and the half circle get filled in with sheet metal. I have some 20 ga that I was thinking of using.....after tinkering with it I think I am going to get some 16 ga next week. it will be less likely to warp when I weld it up.

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Very nice! What color are you gonna paint it? Or are you gonna let it rust, er, I mean, "patina"?

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I think a really dark green, almost a black. I have green slate columns on either side of it with copper caps. I think it will look pretty nice, I just want to get it done!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I 'm sure it will look great .. Any earth tone will be nice with the slate ... Just black would be nice also .. Maybe a a contrast color on the rays ..
If ya get a chance how bout whipping one of those up for me .. My old field fence and cattle gate are starting to look pretty shabby . :D

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Lol, you never know, it should fit....if it doesn't I guess I will ship it to Florida!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
arch, I am really impressed. Looks great and inventive. Have you thought about powder coating? With that size, the oven would have to be really large. But it would last for years powder coated. I have to ask, how many 1/2" drill bits did you go through? Do continue posting the progress. I like your work! :thumb:

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
When you paint steel like that do you have to get rid of all the mill scale?