Project Fishtoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianMc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Installed the T-top this weekend,well most of it. Still need to fab some backup plates underneath,and the electronics box hasn't shown up yet. I was going to build my own top that folded down,but found this factory top that fit. Not as big as I wanted,but does what I want for about what I would of had in materials. It's plenty stout,and kinda matches the railing.

When it folds down it rests against the toekick of the front bench. Shortens the profile by 3 1/2'. This will give me a little shade while fishing,and not get in the way like a bimini top. The punch list is getting shorter!

2013-02-10_15-42-58_674.jpg

2013-02-10_15-43-49_592b.jpg

2013-02-10_15-58-31_97.jpg

2013-02-10_15-45-22_453.jpg

2013-02-10_15-56-13_330.jpg
  • -
    2013-02-10_15-56-44_536.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

snowman48047

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Project Fishtoon

Friggin' awesome! It looks like you have rope or something similar to wrap and hold the starboard on everything but the port side. It looks like black wire ties. Just wondering if you just hadn't replaced those yet? The UV light will destroy them fairly quick.

Can I order one of these in camo? LOL

BrianMc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yup, just haven't replaced those zipties yet. Actually holding off now,because I have the time to go ahead and polish this rig out. I'll have to pull the rail panels to do this.

Yes camo is an upgrade,along with our popular deckmount 50 cal. package if your interested.

(Background check required):D
mk95.jpg

Water logged

Petty Officer 1st Class

Man, them twin 50s would look sweet on the bow of my SunTracker.

Glenn

BrianMc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

• Finished up the sound system and the structure scan. Also mounted 8 more of the little bullet LED's into the box,aimed to cast a lite glow across the deck and console. Mounted the amp and sub above the box under the canopy. The sonic hub audio system is networked to the lowrance graph,and controlled there. AM/FM,sirius radio,ipods,usb mp3's. Sounds great mounted in the electronics box. Easily listen to it at half volume while motoring across the lake. I had to mount the structure scan outside of the console. It as well as the subwoofer are switched independently for conserving battery when needed. Going to have to stop,as I'm running out of room for electronics. The structure scan transducer is huge, hope the factory bracket holds up.

IMG_20130421_124047_908.jpg

IMG_20130421_180904_872.jpg

IMG_20130421_124354_807.jpg

IMG_20130421_124336_981.jpg

IMG_20130421_162849_869.jpg
  • -
    IMG_20130421_162903_432.jpg

BrianMc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • I crisscrossed some 1/2" bungee's across the back half of the top to form a stretchable net for storing lifevests,rainsuits,deflated tubes,softsided tackle bags,etc. Here's also a pic setting behind the console showing the driving visibility,and the 50 gal. bait tank.

IMG_20130421_181711_861.jpg
  • -
    IMG_20130421_124550_021.jpg

acloward

Cadet

I would like to know how your transducer (not the structure scan) works out mounted that high. I had to lower mine to below the bottom line of the toon, because I was having problems with it, but I had it mounted in the middle of the toon. May work well off to the outside, plus it is a bit protected.

I am jealous, and have been watching for a rotten toon with good bones for a flat fishn machine.

Keep up the excellent work

BLC

Petty Officer 3rd Class

BrianMc That thing is awsome. I absolutly love it. It looks sharp with all the "thinking out of the box ideas" that you have done, like the rails and the fencing. The best thing that I like about it is that it is different than all the other boring same look alike pontoons out there. It is sure to catch alot of looks. You put alot of aluminum into that. Do you have any idea how many $$$ of aluminum you have into it. What grade and size did you use for the rails and tower. Did you bend it yourself. Did you mig weld everything. I have been playing around with my aluminum spool gun and have been having trouble with the welds. The first inch of weld seems to be cold and the weld balls up and doesn't weld nice, but once the first inch is past there seems to be enough heat and the weld turns out realy nice. What did you do to make the first part of the weld look nice. Did you preheat the metal.

BrianMc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • I would like to know how your transducer (not the structure scan) works out mounted that high. I had to lower mine to below the bottom line of the toon, because I was having problems with it, but I had it mounted in the middle of the toon. May work well off to the outside, plus it is a bit protected.

I am jealous, and have been watching for a rotten toon with good bones for a flat fishn machine.

Keep up the excellent work
  • -
    Hopefully it'll work there. I don't see why not,as long as there is clean water touching the ducer's bottom at speed it should read. It's mounted right at the edge of the tube. It does have some down adjustment yet.​

BrianMc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

• BLC, I haven't figured the cost of this rig yet. I'll have to go back through 3-4 yrs worth of receipts if I really want to know. Since I was welding it with a new spool gun I used 11 gauge 2" 6063 tubing for the railing. Might have gotten away with 14 gauge after the fact. I know the problem with the cold start on your welds,struggled with that too. Pre-heating would definitely help,but what a pain with all the welds I made. After too many crappy welds I learned I could sart my weld about 1/2" back,quickly moving back to the start point,then lay my bead. Temps are a pain on thin stock,but once your above 1/8th they're a breeze.​
  • -
    There's more pics of the build on my photobucket album showing how I bent and fit the tubing. Link is below my posts. Thanks for the comments guys! Lets me know I haven't lost it on this project.​

BrianMc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Started polishing my rig out. Definitely a job for Mike Rowe,as I was black from head to toe when I crawled out of there. Talk about close combat fighting with a big buffer between those tubes.

IMG_20130430_175156_334.jpg
  • -
    IMG_20130430_174923_548.jpg

Snowfish

Petty Officer 1st Class

You missed a spot!:lol: That looks Great!:eagerness:

What polish compound did you use?:pop2:

BrianMc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Probably did miss a spot. My glasses were re-tinted under there. I been using Nuvite brand aluminum polish. That was just one pass.

The Rooster

Ensign

Probably did miss a spot. My glasses were re-tinted under there. I been using Nuvite brand aluminum polish. That was just one pass.

Looks awesome Brian. Now quit being "anal" about polishing the INSIDE of those tubes and go enjoy that puppy !!!:lol:

BrianMc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Lmao! yeah I figured I catch it for waxing under my skirt. Almost felt naughty posting those pics. Man,I spent so long getting the crud off of these tubes that I want to seal them before it goes back out. I have another boat to ease the pain.​

The Rooster

Ensign

Lmao! yeah I figured I catch it for waxing under my skirt. Almost felt naughty posting those pics. Man,I spent so long getting the crud off of these tubes that I want to seal them before it goes back out. I have another boat to ease the pain.

Yeah I hear you. Are you planning to apply Sharkshide afterwards? I hear good things about it.

BrianMc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yep, have 3 qt. cans of sharkhide. Hope that's enough now. I'd also like to buff all that railing down yet. If this crazy weather would straighten out,so I can keep working on it. 2 days ago it was 85 degr. This morning there was snow on the deck again.

BrianMc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thought I'd post an update for those that followed this thread. It's been a lot of fun already. Everything worked as designed. Drove it off the trailer and haven't looked back. The prop was even perfect for a load,but I need to pitch it up and add a lil tip cup. Run out of R's quick by myself. BTW, I did come up with a name for it.

Put together a video of this build, with some on the water clips at the end.

Capt Sully

Petty Officer 1st Class

Geez, thats one nice build out. Perfect job, enjoy your toon.

-dirt-

Seaman Apprentice

Congrats on the awesome build! What prop are you using?

I hope to build mine up similar one day...

Status
Not open for further replies.