Project Fishtoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

-dirt-

Seaman Apprentice
Back again for more info. This time regarding the strakes: What was the material used? I'm reading that 6061 may crack when bending 90 degs. or greater. WOudl you recommend 3003 or 5052? Or either? Also, I know yours are .090 or .100. Would you recommend I stick with that or go thinner, as some are .063...

I'm aiming to make mine similar to your side strakes (flat bottom with 90 vertical leg). Thought I'd get 4x8 sheets of material, cut it into strips lengthwise,and bent as needed. One sheet would get me (4) strakes that are 8' long, 6" wide, 4" tall, and a 1" lip on the top and bottom bent at an additional angle for the welding lip.

Thanks!

jbcurt00

Staff member
Dirt,
Please start a topic of your own. About your project, although Brian isnt complaining, this is still mostly a hijack.

I'm sure Brian will comment and be helpful, posting to your topic.

Thanks, John

-dirt-

Seaman Apprentice
I'm asking questions about his build... specifically about the material he used ??

Sorry if I'm bothering you, Brian. Will PM with any further questions about your build.

Last edited by a moderator:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Dirt, sorry to hear you don't think starting a topic about your build is a good idea, and that you won't be posting the build here at iboats. And if you'd review my post, I said that Brian wasn't complaining, although this topic was inactive until you posted in it over a year after it went dormant. Discussing your project and alternate materials for your project is considered a hijack.

The topics are here as a resource: to you, other current members and the members that join in the future.

You asked about using a different alloy and a different thickness in your last post prior to my 1st. Both questions have merit and are worth discussing, but since those aren't what Brian used, IMO, that discussion is better suited to a stand alone topic, or if you choose to use them, a topic about your project.

If all the discussions about 'toon modification are buried in other topics, like your questions in Brians, they aren't quite as useful as resources as they would be in a new topic.

Worst still would be to limit the discussion to PMs where it isn't a resource for others.

The only reason Iboats is the great resource and forum that it is, is because there are LOTS of diverse topics about LOTS of projects, problems, solutions and materials.

Thank you,

Last edited:

-dirt-

Seaman Apprentice
10-4. Sorry for the hijack.

Brian: sorry for the drama in your build thread and thanks for all your prior help.

Status
Not open for further replies.