Possible new u-jont SXM1

wired1236

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Volvo SXM1 -1.79 2006 3869336 (sn 4202168329)

I've noticed some probable u-joint noise the last time out. As we (wife and I) start the engine, after drive is 1/4-1/2 way down near the beach of course, I hear a slight knocking noise until about 1/2 down or when drive is completley in water. After it's down, I don't notice the noise. So I'm guessing a new u-joint might be in order when I winterize in a few months. (Of course like all, there has been a time or two the drive has been up for a few seconds when the key gets turned but I don't think enough to do any damage.)

The gimbal bearing and bellows were replaced last year by a Volvo shop. When I asked if the u-joint was checked, they said it was fine. Left me to think they didn't even check it but who knows.

I'm thinking of doing this myself. Got a manual to tell me how and am confident around mechanics. Looking at the parts phish, I only see the u-joint comes as a whole kit with the splines and all for a hefty $390. I'm willing to pay that if that's what it takes but just wondering if that's what I'll have to...get the whole kit. Also wondering what else may be involved or what else I can do? I assume that I will notice a slop in the u-joint itself when I inspect it.

wired1236

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Possible new u-jont SXM1

Anyone??? Don S? Do I have to buy the whole spline/u-joint kit? My manual leads me to believe I don't but I it's for multiple years of drives.

Does this sticky thread apply? Can I too use the 3860232 u joint spyders?

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=367174

Thanks.