Poor Man's Skiboat...Restore?

system-f

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Poor Man's Skiboat...Restore?

What can I use as a mold release/wax remover that I can pickup at autozone, home depot, lowes, or any other hardware store?

BobsGlasstream

Commander

system-f,
Some mold releases take a acid to remove, Such as vinegar and water mix. nothing really drastic. Wax based releases are harder to remove, Alcohol does not work. Some solvents will work to a point.
Hope this helps.
Still looking forward to seeing the pic's.
Bob

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

If it is PVA mold release then just use warm water.

system-f

I ended up going to West Maine and getting Pettit's 95 wax remover cleaner. When I got home half of the can was used! I went ahead and used it anyways as I only needed a little, but I will be going back and complaining (expecting nothing as I did knowingly use it).

The hull sits dewaxed and sanded. Tomorrow I plan on cleaning the hull with an amonia solution as required by easypoxy and then putting down the first coat. I cannot wait to get this darn hull flipped back over....maybe by Sunday!

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

Amonia, thats odd, I would expect acetone or some other solvent, but if thats what they say do it. I agree on wanting to get the hull flipped. Mine has been upside down for at least a month and at least a week to go.

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Keith, as Ezmobee would say PICS or it DIDNT happen! lol
:D

Ive been slacking on Iboats, busy working to make moola moola....Feb is coming and ive only got 1 job for the month...more boat time then

Keep a loose eye out for a 3.0L block while ya got the eng out, if I remember right... yours had some cracks in it .......... cheap winter deal may come along, just a thought.

Cheers!

system-f

3.0L ? I have the 250 straight 6 :)

EZ I sure hope this easypoxy has some magical vodoo powers because it looks like *****. It was bubbling up on me and running which I tipped of with a foam brush just like the Pettit guy on the jamestown videos.

This is the first coat and I didn't expect full coverage, but I hope the runs go away. Only did half the hull as I ran out of time.

Before paint.

100_1572_small.jpg

This picture doesn't show the nasty very well...

100_1574_small.jpg

You can kind of see the nasty here...I hope it levels out :(

100_1575_small.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Mine also went on NASTY but very quickly leveled out. I did not tip or anything.

Friscoboater

Captain

The first coat of anything always looks rough. Don't force it though.

system-f

I think the Pettit fairy visited my house last night and worked her vodoo. I woke up this morning and the hull looked much better. The paint is still tacky, but it had only been 7 hours.

system-f

I thought that with the first coat you weren't suppose to get full coverage? How did you manage that with one coat on the blue? I guess my largest concern are brush marks showing up.

The keel does and will look pretty rough below the water line because I didn't spend the time on it I could have, but I was far too concerned with the sides and what is visiable above the water line...

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Looking awsome System F
keep up the greta work!

6 cyl thats right! DOH more power to ya then! lol

system-f

I just put the second coat on the hull this morning. I used about 2 qts total for the hull. The paint is far from perfect, but also easily meets my "look good from 5 feet away" criteria. Tomorrow I plan to flip the hull back over and start doing some more work on the deck.

system-f

Since I cannot do much to the boat I started tearing down the transom assembly to see what parts I need.

Bob/Bond-o/other merc guys I need to know if I have to tap my housing for the newer shift cable. My assembly is a 71 merc 165 and here is the cable end I unscrewed out.

Here is the cable before removing it.

100_1587_small.jpg

Here is the cable end. I cut the rest of the cable housing off to get this out. It came out from the fore side of the drive housing and pulled to the front.

100_1589_small.jpg

and here is the threaded hole in the housing itself

100_1590_small.jpg

thrillhouse700

Looks good to me! is the paint wet sand-able? or does it remove the shine?

At least you didn't paint it black............. Every time i look at our boat in the sun I see a new flaw in our paint haha. Its ok tho mine passes the looks good from 5 ft away rule too.

I wouldnt worry much tho cuz once its in the water you will never see the bottom :)

Friscoboater

Captain

Five foot is good enough when using a brush. Are you going to paint the topside too?

system-f

Yes, but I won't do the topside until it is running and in the water.

This paint is far better than good from 5 feet away when rolled on. It can look perfect, I just didn't do a perfect prep. It is amazing at how it levels out.