Johns 70 VRO overheats in slow speed

nerland

Cadet
Any suggestions as to the cause ?
At full and cruise speeds this engine runs smooth and no
problems but when trying to do a bit of slow speed
it overheats pretty quick as in about 5 to 10 minutes...
There is water coming out of the eject port just below the
eng. covling all the time and it seems consistant.....

Anyone ?

Best regards
Nils G.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Johns 70 VRO overheats in slow speed

over heat usually 1 of, or a combination of 2 things tstat, impeller. what model #?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I had a Merc that did the same thing (newly purchased, used engine, first time out). Later, after investigating I found out that it had a stat and a bypass valve (somewhat larger hole). At low speed the stat was in control. At higher speeds water pressure (from the stat or driven into the water pickup on the lower unit by boat movement) forced the bypass valve open.

Both are located on top of the water jacket that covers the head (3 cyl) under a common cover.

The pee was always present as it came from the exhaust manifold where water is not controlled by either valve and is present all the time. You can look at yours and see if you have the same setup.....probably so.

So, like you, at slow speed I got the horn on constantly but all I had to do is speed up and it went away. Slowing down after a few minutes it came back.

So #1 on tas's list (the stat) is probably your problem. You can take it out and test it on the stove in a slowly heating pan of water using a candy thermometer or something that will record the temp. Opening temp will probably be somewhere between 120 and 145F.....temp is stamped on the pellet part of the stat and it is the temp where it starts to open. Will take 15 to 20 degrees more heat to get her fully open.

If you boil the water for say 5 minutes and it is still shut, you have your baby.

My over temp sensor is set to 195 and since water boils at 212F STP, there's your bounds.

HTH

Mark

nerland

Cadet

Model is 1987 "J70ELCUR"
and from the split views at BRP parts catalogue it seems to
be a bypass or spring loaded relief valve on this engine as well..
I will try to heat the T-stat in a pan, but any other suggestions is most welcome too :)

Best regards
Nils G.

Walker

Captain

I think yopur on the right track. The thermostats control water flow at low speed/pressure. As speed/pressure increases the bypass valves open.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

When was the last time a waterpump was installed? I'm betting that's what it is. My 28HP did the same thing. Would get a warning beep every so often at idle, but went away as soon a I gave it revs...

nerland

Cadet

The water pump changed ? I have no clue, the maintenance history is unknown to me, Iv'e only had this engine for a year.
I will however chech T-stat first as it is easily accessible
as the boat is now on the water, if no luck with that one I'll
put te boat on the trailor and split the Lower from the mid section and check the waterpump..

Best regards
Nils G.

nerland

Cadet

This is the T-stat assembly from my engine and from what I
can tell there is no temp stamped on it anywhere...
It was altso stuck in half open position now that is :) it has propably
been more/less stuck in closed i guess. Boiling it after I closed it
manually did cause it to reopen but it won't close again so its a goner....
I'm geting a new one tomorrow. Thx all for you'r help !

Regards
Nils G.

Attachments

• T-stat.jpg
    T-stat.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Carbkid

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My Merc did the same thing to me last year. It would overheat while trolling/idleing. I installed new impeller/housing and this took care of the problem.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

If you don't know when the pump was serviced, then it's time....

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Don't just "check" the water pump. At that juncture you have the lower unit off -- "replace" the impeller.

nerland

Cadet

Yes I will replace the impeller and the T-stat, and I am consithering a VRO pump replacement or mod. to start mixing fuel/oil manually...

Thx all !
Regards
Nils G.