Over loading boats above the capacity plate max?

emilsr

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Over loading boats above the capacity plate max?

If I was a cop I'd check this boat......again and again. :joyous:

Attachments

• bikini_boat.jpg
    bikini_boat.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 0

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

the reason it's "OR" (or the reason it should be) is that too many people rgardless of weight is a safety factor. As one said, they all could tip the boat moving around. A captain can't safely supervise them all. They will eat all your snacks and drink all your beer, use all your bait and tangle all your lines. Some want to go fast, some want to go slow, some get seasick and sunburned.

There is a certain arbitrary factor to any safety laws, including speed limits, building codes and health regulations. It's pointless to argue that the rule makes no sense for a boat over the max people if they are all skinny Olympic swimmers. It just doesn't matter. Nor does it matter that I (and others) have safely operated boats with too much weight or too many bodies. That simply isn't the point, nor is it relevant.

Just remember: it's OR. Go over one and you are over.

acarter92

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here ya go, this should clear up some of the confusion....

Pennsylvania Boating License and Boat Safety Course - Capacity and Float Plans

Look for a capacity plate near the operator's position or on the transom of the boat. This plate indicates the maximum weight capacity and/or the maximum number of people that the boat can carry safely in good weather.
You should not exceed either the stated maximum weight capacity or the maximum number of people.
Maximum weight is the combined weight of passengers, gear, and motors.
In many states, it is a violation to exceed capacity. Chapter 4 has the legal requirements for your state.

It is OR, meaning you cannot legally exceed EITHER, end of story!

This is for PA, but I doubt it's different for any other state...

Austin

UncleWillie

Captain

Very interesting reading here. USCG Circular 68

The Capacity plate already takes into account the assumption that some passengers will be small children.

Interesting enough, although the CG states you must have the Capacity Plate clearly displayed, exceeding it is not a violation of any Federal law.

KD4UPL

It feels like congressional hearing. Instead of "is", we're debating the meaning of "or".
I have always thought that "or" meant I could have more than the stated number of people if their total weight wasn't above the weight limit. My boat states the capacity is 11 people. I once had 12 on board. 4 were children under 10 years old. Most of the women on board probably didn't weigh more than 140 pounds each. I felt I was well under the weight limit. I was stopped by an officer at the dock to do a safety check. He checked my registration and my fire ext. He counted the 12 people and asked me to produce 12 life jackets. I did and he was happy. He said have a nice day and left.
So, my first hand experience is that as long as you're under the weight the number of people doesn't matter. Maybe the officer was wrong, I don't know.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Yes the officer WAS wrong (or simply not enforcing the law) ....

Following your line of thinking, you can choose which limit to adhere to... soooo It would make just as much sense to choose the head count instead of the weight limit.

Attached is an example. It is the first legible label I could find with a google search. By your logic I could take 7 plus size guys out because I only had to follow one "OR" the other guideline. so lets say that I at 250 lbs and my 6 guests also at 250 lbs are on this boat at 1750 lbs or better yet we are all 340 lbs for 2450 lbs... why even put a weight limit because with your logic the boat will clearly float and be both safe and legal with 7 700 pounders for 4900 lbs.

CAPACITY_PLATE.jpg

NYBo

Admiral

:facepalm:

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

zombie 2.,m.jpg This was my 26ft WELLCRAFT with a 8 person capasity plate---seats for 8 on deck:confused:

22712boat.jpg My 19 ft glastron has capasity plate for 9 persons and has seating for 9.

KD4UPL

"I have always thought that "or" meant I could have more than the stated number of people if their total weight wasn't above the weight limit."

How exactly does this logic suggest I would be comfortable with 4,900 pounds on board?

I wasn't trying to convince anyone I was right. I was just relating an experience. I don't normally have more than 8 people on board. The one time was an exception. I was afraid I may get ticketed but for whatever reason the officer thought things were fine. I guess it was my lucky day.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

How exactly does this logic suggest I would be comfortable with 4,900 pounds on board?

I didn't say YOU would be comfortable, but that your justification could be used for either path and that IF you were correct, which you are not, then the other would also HAVE to be correct, which it is also not.

I have been trying very hard to illustrate to you WHY you are incorrect, I have not been trying to insult you..... Cops are human (sometimes, lol), he may have misread, may have not wanted to enforce it, or may have not understood it.

Just a couple days ago I got pulled over for 78 mph in a 65 zone (I thought it was still 70 there). I got a bit of a lecture and a verbal warning.... Having a cdl and an absolutely clean record along with a cop who was more understanding than most didn't make me right but DID save me a bunch of money.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

The little lake I am on has rental pontoons. Over the summer I have seen the boats with big crowds on them a few times, What I have seen is some one will rent one and be given instructions on load, handling and operation and so on, and go straight to the boat launch landing and start loading them up. Now its a 9.9 lake so the speeds are very slow especially with that sort of load, and most of the time while you can see their loaded very heavy, I do think their with in limits.

It really is a hard call I like to mind my own business and I sure don't have any right what so ever to speak to any one about things but I would hate for some one to get hurt if a word to a boat load could of prevented it.

I have stopped two boats I think but not for load for what I feel was so stupid I just had to. Both had kids and adults sitting up front with their feet in the water while the boat was under power.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

well you have to go back to the idea that the plates, while establishing the law in some places, only establish an average/general standard of safety--just like speed limit does. Other circumstances--and there are some many with boats--will determine what truly is safe. Consider the speed limit--not safe in the fog. And you have to consider the risks. One extra child on the boat may or may not be dangerous. An overloaded pontoon on a lake with a 9.9 in the daytime in the summer is not all that dangerous, but riding with feet hanging off the bow is.

A careful boater knows that the various laws, guides and regulations do not, infact, determine what is safe. A good boater has the experience to know safety based on conditions regardless of regulations, etc. and acts accordingly.

Campylobacter

Chief Petty Officer

In North Carolina it is up to the LEO's judgement if the boat is overloaded or not.

The plates are "guidelines"