29' Carter Safari

Status
Not open for further replies.

sprintst

Commander
Re: 29' Carter Safari

Insane work on the BMW man. That's really impressive that you can juggle the boat, car and work and school.

Most people can't wipe there own a** right and they have nothing else to do :)

gypsysoul

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yea Matt, I concure, the car sure came out nice. glad to hear there is progress on the boat. Can't wait to see it on the water. I notice last week on cougar town they had swapped boats, the Safari wasn't on there. I will watch this week and see. But if the safari is not back on there I am done with cougar town lol.:cool:

fishzola

Cadet

Has any one put flush mount rod holders in the cockpit rails for trolling etc. (not sure what the are called, gunwale may be) the safari rails are much thiner than most boats I have seen.
Thank you.
I will get the boat number off the hull tomorrow....

gypsysoul

Petty Officer 2nd Class

fishz- Mine has flush mount rod holder in the rear transom area. one on each side. they are a nice, they work real well. they face out sideways so they look a little like down riggers with the rods in them.

I saw they went back to the safari on cougar town last night so I guess I will remain a viewer a little longer.

Matt I have not recoverd my seat yet (have not had time) But I bought a industrial sewing machine on ebay. I recover the captains seat on the flybridge a few years ago, I am going to have to redo it already. I am not great with the machine yet. but I am getting pretty good at the kids quad seats. And that alone has already paid for the sewing machine. But am looking forward to takling the truck seats. If I can find the time. I am tired I got a Job today in san diego. I left at six this morning and did not make it home until nine tonight. but it was a good job and paid well. Yak at ya all latter Kody:cool:

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer

well, with headgaskets in my mind, and some time, and a little curiousity. i decided to do a practice headgasket removal on one of the old engines....

20 min later.. by the looks of it these engines had some bad days....
22180_293913077349_715147349_3342887_6403538_n.jpg

22180_293913092349_715147349_3342888_779114_n.jpg

22180_293913097349_715147349_3342889_1613369_n.jpg

22180_293913107349_715147349_3342890_4336380_n.jpg

22180_293913127349_715147349_3342892_8068473_n.jpg

well that was fun :) also it was surprisingly easy

onassis

Cadet

Alright dude. How much do they pay you at the marina? I'll fly you to L.A for a week or so and match their rate, plus expenses for you to put my new windsor in my boat and get it sorted.

flomerdr

Cadet

WOW Matt looks like those cylinders saw some serious saltwater or was that from just sitting around the yard? We pulled the port engine out of Sea Hawk looking for the vibration problem in the gimbal bearings but the bearings seem OK may go ahead & replace them bearings are cheap. Did find loose springs in the drive plate so replaced it for $68 at Harbor Marine in Everett. Ordering new upper seal kits for both drives & lower seals for stbd it had the water in the oil. Cleaned up and painted the port engine & bilge area should put it back in Tuesday.

Handegard

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well that was fun :) also it was surprisingly easy

Yeah, wait 'til you get to do head gaskets on a 2.7L Bi-Turbo Audi V6 greenhorn ;)

Chevy V8s are pretty easy, but the PITA is when you put them back together, the valves have to be manually set. Not overly hard, but it's a pain when compared to say, a Ford small block where you just tighten the rocker arms to spec, and the valves are hydraulically adjusted.

fishzola

Cadet

A few questions.
1. Matt, why did you glass over the plug when you replaced the transom?

2. My boat has a reverse rotation motor and a regular rotation. The port is reverse.(i think). I have been told this is old technology and with the volvo 280 outdrive you can have 2 regular rotation motors. I have also been told by "experts" that you need 1 reverse rot and one regular to offset the torch.
Does any one know what is correct?

Thank you.

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer

1. plugs are a failiure point and it was the key rot point in the old transom, with the size of the boat, when its done it will spend most of its time in the water where having a plug is useless anyways....

2. im pretty sure you can go either route here. im not sure about the 280's, but i know newer legs do have the option to be counter rotating, which eliminated the need for the counter rotating engine. We went counter rotating engines becuase thats what the boat had and thats what we got a killer deal on.... lol

the torque affect is true, and having 2 props turning the same direction will mess with the boats handing, causing the boat to have a steering tendency to one direction or the other...

flomerdr

Cadet

TO fishzola: to your question about reverse rotation motors on the Volvo 280s it is one of the easy things to change. All you have to do is swap the linkage on the shift lever on the back of the drive. If you have twin engines and one is reverse rotation then both linkages should be on the same side of the little rocker lever. Of course that is assuming the standard rotation drive is connected correctly.

gypsysoul

Petty Officer 2nd Class

:confused: I will pipe in, My safari is my first twin boat. both of my engines are the same rotation and my outdrives have the same prop (both turn the same way). My boat drives fine.if you notice the outdrives on the safari's are set pretty far apart. I don't know if it makes a difference or not. the only negative effect about this, that I have noticed, is that if I turn to tight or fast I can cavitate the outside drive. I have learned to ease off the outside throttle in a tight turns. Other than that both my props turn the same way both my engines turn the same direction. I love docking my boat, with the outdrives as far apart as they are. I can pivot right into tight spots by reversing one outdrive and forward on the other. this is probally a old hat for most boater's but since this is my first twin screw boat, I fell in love with the ability to do that with the boat. I may buy a counter rotation prop one of these days and put on just to see if it makes a difference. since changing rotation on the 280 outdrives is so easy. Well that is just my two cents. :rolleyes:

flomerdr

Cadet

Hi Gypsy, Yes the spread on the engines definitely makes for better handling, although talking to John Carter I'm not sure that was on his mind. He wanted access to the transom for fishing. But then I doubt John ever tried changing those outboard spark plugs or Stbd starter. According to Larry our Marine Tech instructor it should be more efficient with counter clockwise prop on the Port & Clockwise prop on the Stbd. On Deep V hulls they should both turn from the top to the outside of the hull. You might want to check the shift lever arrangement on them just to make sure there is only 2 screws the top one is is sort of a latch. One thing for sure every screw you put back in use lots of anti-seize or grease, but since you are a heavy equipment mechanic you are probably used to that. One thing I never knew was how helpful an acetylene torch & ATF would become, in power plants all we used a torch for was to just cut the bolts in two.http://forums.iboats.com/images/smilies/cool.gif
Darn the Cougar Towns are both reruns tonight.

gypsysoul

Petty Officer 2nd Class

flomerdr, That is the most acurate answer about prop rotation I have recieved. Thanks, I think I will give that a shot just for giggles. That may be part of my cavatation problem. I don't remember if it does it both ways or if it was just one direction. It is dark now I will go out and see which way my props are set up right now. when I first put the boat together and we launched it for the first time. they where turning backwards ie; forward was reverse and reverse was forward. I did not think much about it until I tried to back up, and it jerked both outdrives out of the water. I pulled over to a dock and changed the rods right there. Yea mine had a screw in the bottom of the cover and a catch on the top.

You want to talk about anti-sieze, I worked on heavy equipment on borax lake bed for ten years. You could goop all of it on you want, but they still came off with a torch! A little town called Trona, Calif.

And yea Cougar town was repeats but I had not seen the second one. The boat on the show could sure use some detailing. :cool:

flomerdr

Cadet

WOW Trona, Calif. that is one hell of a place to work you got to be one tough dude to spend 10 years out therehttp://forums.iboats.com/images/smilies/smile.gif. I spent 30 years on the beach working at San Onofre. I made the mistake of letting my son take my Bronco to the area somewhere around Trona on geology expedition. He would never say what happened but it came back with broken front shock supports and they had to replace the battery in Lone Pine.
I'm starting to get my replacement parts installed have the port gimbal bearing reassembled and universals. Found one thing interesting they are using smaller needle bearings in new universals the old ones were 0.0076-.0077" the new ones are 0.0071", and Volvo part no.s are a pain in ... to cross reference to to Sierra's catalog. If you have GM 350s and the Jabsco water pump make sure you take the number off the pump and the dimensions. Had the port heat exchanger flushed and leak checked they fixed a couple of minor leaks on the shell. I think it was original equipment the old "L" shape one.

fishzola

Cadet

I havent been on for a while, thank you all for the response on the reverse rotation question. I have another.
Have any of you safari owners seen a safari with the volvo AQD40 diesel motors? I see it was an option. If you have seen one, do you know what it would be able to cruise at or max speed? Thank you.

flomerdr

Cadet

I have only seen four Safaris personally they all had GM 350s of Ford 302s. Greg Hornby who had the old Safari owners list (about 12-15 boats) did not have a breakdown by engine types as far as I remember. Then there is Matt's and it is a V8. Next time I talk to John Carter I will try to remember to ask him it he remembers. Want to ask him about the Cougar Town boat, if he remembers that one with the outside lower helm station.

fishzola

Cadet

If you do speak with John Carter. Please ask him about the AQD40 motors. There are 10 inches longer than a GM block. So a bigger engine cover was used and the deck hatches on port and starbord would be shorter and the bulk head moved forward, I guess. It was an option from what I have read. Dont know if they ever made one with the AQD40.
Any info on performance would also be helpful.Where did the molds end up for the Carter Safari 28???
I would like to get my hands on those molds.
Thank you..

Status
Not open for further replies.