outdrive overspray

boater184

Cadet
I have a 25' Bayliner cuddy cruiser with an Omc 5.8 and an SEI i/o outdrive converted to it. At cruising speed the outdrive seems to throw up a fine mist right behind the boat, and with the vacume that's created in the seating area with the windshield closed, passengers in the rear get quite damp some days. On a 95 degree day it's not so bad, however on a 65 degree day it's not so welcome. This Sei outdrive, which apparently is pratically a Mercruiser the way I understand it, has a vented Omc type exaust bellows, which I suspect may be causing this fine spray, I'm just wondering if i can put on a solid exaust mercruiser type bellows in place of the vented one to see if that stops it ??

alldodge

Staff member
Re: outdrive overspray

I have a 25' Bayliner cuddy cruiser with an Omc 5.8 and an SEI i/o outdrive converted to it. At cruising speed the outdrive seems to throw up a fine mist right behind the boat, and with the vacume that's created in the seating area with the windshield closed, passengers in the rear get quite damp some days. On a 95 degree day it's not so bad, however on a 65 degree day it's not so welcome. This Sei outdrive, which apparently is pratically a Mercruiser the way I understand it, has a vented Omc type exaust bellows, which I suspect may be causing this fine spray, I'm just wondering if i can put on a solid exaust mercruiser type bellows in place of the vented one to see if that stops it ??

:welcome: to iboats

The SEL is the same as the Merc drive. If this was not happening before then my first suspect would not be the exhaust but it would be the hydraulic trim lines. When the trim lines were reinstalled on the cylinders they could be down in the flow of water coming from under the boats hull and causing what your seeing. Look at the lines below the hull with the drive all the way down and see if that is the case. If it is loosen them slightly and see if you can reposition.

thumpar

Admiral

I would guess that something is hanging down too. If you know someone with a Go Pro see if you can borrow it and mount it on the back to see if you can tell what is causing it.

boater184

Cadet

I would guess that something is hanging down too. If you know someone with a Go Pro see if you can borrow it and mount it on the back to see if you can tell what is causing it.

a Go Pro, is that some sort of camera ?

boater184

Cadet

:welcome: to iboats

The SEL is the same as the Merc drive. If this was not happening before then my first suspect would not be the exhaust but it would be the hydraulic trim lines. When the trim lines were reinstalled on the cylinders they could be down in the flow of water coming from under the boats hull and causing what your seeing. Look at the lines below the hull with the drive all the way down and see if that is the case. If it is loosen them slightly and see if you can reposition.

this is only my second year of owning the boat, so I cannot say how it was before the lower unit change. it does have Bennett trim tabs, but I'm pretty sure the lines are secured above the bottom of the hull. The boat has a swim platform on the back so I cannot watch back there and be able to see what is going on down there. However it does have an old fashion speedometer pitot tube on the bottom of the transom on one side, and the other side has the sensor for my Humminbird unit. I'm pulling the boat out of the water for the season this weekend, so I will take a hard look around back there. thanks a bunch !!

thumpar

Admiral

A Go Pro is the camera. It is the kind they use on helmets in extreme sports. I know people with them.

Fun Times

Staff member

However it does have an old fashion speedometer pitot tube on the bottom of the transom on one side.
Just a thought to look at while your looking around, since your running the old fashion speedometer pitot tube, then chances are you are not utilizing the stern drive speedometer hole incorporated into the stern drive. At speed and maybe some trimming up, it may be spraying water up just right so that it's misting right behind the boat.

How big/long is the swim step? Is there gaps so that the water can get over/around it to mist you?

boater184

Cadet

Just a thought to look at while your looking around, since your running the old fashion speedometer pitot tube, then chances are you are not utilizing the stern drive speedometer hole incorporated into the stern drive. At speed and maybe some trimming up, it may be spraying water up just right so that it's misting right behind the boat.

How big/long is the swim step? Is there gaps so that the water can get over/around it to mist you?

I have been wondering about the pitot tube thing myself, this winter I plan to see if i can just get the one in the outdrive set up, i just got the boat about mid summer last year and i'm still learning things about it. it sets in the water all summer so I really cannot do much back there untill I pull it out for the winter. I have also wondered the same thing about my swim platform, it's a bolt on type, and not the solid closed in type at all, and water does come through it, so I may look into getting a complete pad to cover it this fall as well. thanks.

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

I know on my pilot tube....right where it hinges there is a square opening at the top of it......mine does the spray thing too, only happens when on plane.... What i did was wrap some black electical tape around the hinge and over the Sq opening to see if that was it. Yes that sovled the problem...but the tape didnt last long.

Not sure how to correct it at this point!

boater184

Cadet

I know on my pilot tube....right where it hinges there is a square opening at the top of it......mine does the spray thing too, only happens when on plane.... What i did was wrap some black electical tape around the hinge and over the Sq opening to see if that was it. Yes that sovled the problem...but the tape didnt last long.

Not sure how to correct it at this point!

Hey thanks though, that gives me something more defenet to focus on now !

thumpar

Admiral

I think on those there is a little fitting that goes in and turns to lock it in then the tube comes off of that. You could get the fitting and just put a plug on it.