Only once

kahuna123

Senior Chief Petty Officer
My friend shows up at 6 AM with a hangover. He gets seasick in a bathtub anyway. I've been up since 4 am. Caught bait the day before. Two trips to the gas station with 5-5 gallon cans. Drag them around the back of the house to the boat. Make lunch, ect.

So we aren't even past the island and he is sick and its 6:45. He confesses he was up most of the night. Man did he have a long day. No mercy. He's laying in the back and I offer him some crackers. He asked if it will make him feel better, I tell him no but at least he will have something to through up. I never saw anyone throw up in a regulator before. There he is floating with his BC inflated, throw up all around him and every time he bobs up and down another piece sticks in that curly hair.

Another trip on a charter I am out with the office. Mr. I know what I am doing is fishing off the back of the boat. I am smoking a cigar. He never does figure out why he gets sick every time I am around him. Go figure.

Half the party is getting sick and we are only in 3 footers in a 53ft sport fish. The captain doesn't say a word. Comes down and locks the cabin door. Looks at me and says no way are they going inside . Hours later I start handing out sandwiches. The captain yells down to me " what are you doing? " I tell him we are reloading.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: Only once

If you'll make sure they all eat seafood the night before you can get a good chum line going.

Only the weak minded get seasick, it's 100% psychological.

kahuna123

I agree with you for the most part on being mental.

scoyt

Petty Officer 3rd Class

OK, I have to admit, I am from Arkansas. I go to Florida every year, but haven't tried going out in a big boat for a fishing trip. But I am thinking about trying it next spring. What is the trick to not get seasick?

foodfisher

Captain

Catching fish will divert your attention. I just take it as a thrill/challenge to stay vertical as opposed to fighting it and trying to make it go away.

kahuna123

My father fished the Tampa Tarpon Tour when I was a kid in a 14ft sears hunter with a 10hp johnson for years. I was with him every trip. I have owned 9-10 boats from 10ft to 35. I have thousands and thousands of hours at sea. Been a certified diver for 30 years and never been sick. Last year twice I got nauseous. Same thing happened to a friend of mine who is my age and has more experience than me.

Turns out he goes to the eye dr. and finds out he needs glasses. We are both at the big 50. The eye Dr tells him that not being able to focus up close and being use to doing it will lend you to becoming sick much easier at sea. IF I am running the boat I wear my reading glasses and the problem went away.

But back to it being mostly mental. Everyone I have seen who was sick gets all better on the ride home. Or at least when you tell them thats where you are going. OR if you throw them in the water they get better real quick.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

OK, I have to admit, I am from Arkansas. I go to Florida every year, but haven't tried going out in a big boat for a fishing trip. But I am thinking about trying it next spring. What is the trick to not get seasick?

Scoyt, I used to go on a blue water charter once a year or so. Nothing too involved or far out, just your typical day trip (but not a party boat) while on vacation in Mexico or wherever I happened to be, and I never once got seasick. Then, one day I was on a trip out of Playa and for some reason it hit me. Seas weren't rough, wasn't hung over, none of that stuff. I just got sea sick. I did my best to enjoy the trip but never got over the feeling. A year or so later I went on a trip out of Cabo on a thirty footer. The mate said we were in six foot swells. He might have been messing with me and we were only in two foot swells, but I don't think so. The engine died so we had to go up on the bridge while they fixed it, and we were hanging on for dear life up there. When we got back down I was seasick, but we got into the Dorado so it was kinda worth it. That was the last charter I went on, mainly because I just don't really enjoy them that much any way, and that's a lot to spend on something you don't really enjoy. I much prefer fishing the flats. Less travelling and more fishing. That's just me though. If you've never taken a little blue water trip I encourage you to given the opportunity. As for the trick to avoiding seasickness, I've heard them all. Focus on the horizon, it's all mental, blah blah blah. It's amazing how many people are physiology experts, isn't it?:rolleyes: If you watch a blue water show on WFN or some other outdoor channel and look closely enough you might see a patch on one of the hosts or guides (I have). Guess those guys must be weak minded.:rolleyes: The only way to know for sure whether you're seasick prone is to get out there and find out. If you don't want to find out, take some dramamine or get one of those patches.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

everyone's different. For me I feel nothing in a small boat no matter how rough but get the feeling on a ship when it's rough.

But I think I know why: one of the major causes of seasickness is the water in your inner ear moving around. Why? because your head does not stay level; it moves as the deck, and your body attached to it, moves. If you are inside (like on a ship) you don't know it. when you are running a small boat and see each wave, etc your head compensates and stays level--especailly if you drive standing up. Your knees also level you. Also if you look at the horizon or something far off, your head will stay level. If you look at the mast of your own boat, you go back to moving with the boat and getting sick.

Another major cause of seasickness is people on your boat talking about seasickness. Stow it!

I have also heard about the eyesight thing. You get out of focus, your brain acts up. Just like with the ears. Your body is signalling you to get away from the conditions--worked for cavemen, not for guys on a charter!

Fresh air helps. Boats are full of fumes and stale air (or cigars!). Get outside. Stand up. And then you also look at the horizon! But watch for carbon monoxide with a following breeze or exhaust at the stern. it will get you. From this it is obvious that the worst thing you can do is lie down inside.

I've never used the patch but I understand you have to apply before you go or it does no good? same with dramamine?

lncoop

Vice Admiral

everyone's different. For me I feel nothing in a small boat no matter how rough but get the feeling on a ship when it's rough.

But I think I know why: one of the major causes of seasickness is the water in your inner ear moving around. Why? because your head does not stay level; it moves as the deck, and your body attached to it, moves. If you are inside (like on a ship) you don't know it. when you are running a small boat and see each wave, etc your head compensates and stays level--especailly if you drive standing up. Your knees also level you. Also if you look at the horizon or something far off, your head will stay level. If you look at the mast of your own boat, you go back to moving with the boat and getting sick.

Another major cause of seasickness is people on your boat talking about seasickness. Stow it!

I have also heard about the eyesight thing. You get out of focus, your brain acts up. Just like with the ears. Your body is signalling you to get away from the conditions--worked for cavemen, not for guys on a charter!

Fresh air helps. Boats are full of fumes and stale air (or cigars!). Get outside. Stand up. And then you also look at the horizon! But watch for carbon monoxide with a following breeze or exhaust at the stern. it will get you. From this it is obvious that the worst thing you can do is lie down inside.

I've never used the patch but I understand you have to apply before you go or it does no good? same with dramamine?

Interesting. I'll have to keep this in mind. Come to think of it, on that boat out of Playa I had just visited the head and do recall the stale air and overpowering stench of straight bleach. In retrospect it was after that that I got sick. I believe you're right about the dramamine and patches; at least a couple hours before I think.

robert graham

Admiral

The Dramamine works pretty good, MOST of the time, but always makes me sleepy...The Scopolamine Patches work like a charm ALL the time. It really sucks hanging off the back or side of the boat "feeding the fish", as the Scuba crowd calls it!;)

MrBigStuff

Chief Petty Officer

I can take a significant amount of chop on fresh water, bouncing around all day and not get sick. ANY sized boat on the ocean and viola! It's the really slow up and down motion that gets me the most. The worst was a time on a ferry to Martha's Vineyard. Those are some fairly large boats but even they roll with the swells. My wife swears by the wrist bands that put pressure on certain points. It doesn't matter what works, as long as it works. The minute I step foot on solid ground, nausea is gone. I've had sinus issues most of my adult life and I think that has a big impact on the sinus->ear->brain connection.

iCam

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'm not totally sold on seasickness being totally mental. I am sure there is a degree that is, but I am leaning to most being physical. I was stationed on a small (by Navy standards) 180' Coast Guard ship. Majority of the time I was on Lake Superior/Michigan. I tried all the tricks. Many of the times there is no horizon (I was an engineer. They don't like us to see the sun). Dramamine wears off about halfway through a watch. Claustrophobia is looming over your head. Fresh air was rare because the sadistic cooks swore Beans was a staple. We just learned to carry a bag, and when it hits your ready. I never had a problem on any other fishing/ charter boat. so mentally I know how to control it. But in certain situations, I have found, there is not much you can do about it. Puke and move on.

On another note, we had a old salty ba***rd fill his bag with beef stew. He would walk around with a spoon and eat out of his bag in front of all the new guys (officer, and enlisted). That was guaranteed to fill every porthole. It was funny, when it wasn't me.

I suggest crackers and peanut butter. Stews not bad if you want to make some one miserable.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Motion sickness, as I understand it, is eye/inner ear conflict. As some have noted, if you are inside the eye sees no motion as the walls and stuff inside are synced to your eyes, but the ear says you are moving. So either close your eyes or watch the horizon or some other large reference outside independent of the boat. Same in a car. Close your eyes or watch the road then the eyes and ears are in sync. This info has worked to solve motion sickness for my wife and kids for years.

This is also why reading in the car can make things so bad. Movies too. Eyes see one thing, ears detect another.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

I would have to agree with it being a good bit mental, Several years ago I tryed a 3 D helicopter ride at Myrtle beach, It was supposed be through the grand canyon, and yes it did get to me a bit and I was standing still, and the most amusing part is I have actual rode through the canyon the cobra high performance helicopter several times with no problems. :D

QC

Supreme Mariner

I tryed a 3 D helocopter ride . . . and I was standing still
This is eye vs. ear conflict ;) Ear says standing still, eyes say flying through Grand Canyon.

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Only time I was ever sick on a boat, and I have been on small, large, medium, doesnt matter, was on a cruise ship after a "booze cruise" in St Thomas. Wife says I was sick, but I dont remember. I lost about 4 hours that day, but When I woke up after the 4 hours I had a bad taste in my mouth, but was fine, and commenced drinking again. I love having a designated driver. LOL.

I would have to agree with it being a good bit mental, Several years ago I tryed a 3 D helicopter ride at Myrtle beach, It was supposed be through the grand canyon, and yes it did get to me a bit and I was standing still, and the most amusing part is I have actual rode through the canyon the cobra high performance helicopter several times with no problems. :D

I get sick on those motion simulator rides to

rogerwa

Commander

I was out onthe jersy coast a few weeks ago and my sons wanted to go on the half day fluke party boat. it was a 2-6:30 trip on a 95 foot boat.

The seas were rough and I was fine when the boat was under power, but once he got to the fishing spot, he stopped the engines and that boat just got tossed in every direction. It was tough to stand straight. About an hour and a half in, i started chucking. It was absolutely horrible. I sat on the bench on the vacated side of the boat and really thought that it would be easier if I just jumped in and ended it. Just kidding of course.

After what seemed like an eternity we finally headed back and it was relief again when under power as the movement, while still substatial was predictable.

I have never been seasick in my life and I was kind of humbled. I went home and watched deadliest catch with a whole new appreciation for those greenhorns that haven't gotten their sea legs.

I think it is more of a control issue. If I was driving the boat and in control, I would be able to handle it.