OMC IO= 235 HP --- electrics?

Boat Doctor1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Need to know where the trim system (not tilt) gets its power from?? Battery has only 2 leads to back of engine (solenoids) . No Fuses or any circuit breaker (like new models) this is like a 87/89 model boat. I have no power to the "Trim Panel switch" on dash or gagur on same. Where does the power to that switch come from?? wiring diagram ?anyone??? Thanx.

southkogs

Staff member
'87 could still have been a Stringer drive, but by '89 it would be a Cobra. Totally different systems. You have rams on the drive, or a big rubber boot on the back?

Boat Doctor1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Th a stringer drive (white) electric shift--I do not see any circuit breakers or any 50 amp fuses (in holders) on engine. Need wiring ske for power feeds to tilt -- trim works fine. The trim is the kind that goes under motor mounts. The switch on dash has no power-need to see where that power comes from. There are some brown (monkey balls) on the trim & also tilt system yet all test good on both sides. I will also add - when i use a jumper across the trim solenoids they both work fine -so it IS a power from the switch to the solenoids -I just need to locate where the power feeds from to that switch. Thanx.

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member
Some Stuff HERE for you to look through - I'm thinking the diagrams are in that thread somewhere. BUT - You don't (or shouldn't) have an electric shift if it's a drive from after 1976 or 1977. The 1980's units should be full mechanical.

Do you have the jackscrew type trim or the hydraulic?

Boat Doctor1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This has the electric shift & has the trimpump with I believe jack screws -its under the motor mount areas on each side i believe. boat may be an 76? guessing

southkogs

Staff member
Electric shift drive will look like (or real similar to) this:

Fast ID (though not the only) is no thru-hub exhaust.

Jackscrew Selectrim will look like this:

Under both mounts, I'm not sure what that is. I've never had the hydraulic system, so I don't know it real well.

And I think even in electric shift ('64 - '76) which 235 it is matters. There should be a tag in the engine bay - mine's on the rear port motor mount - that gives you an engine ID number. That'll tell you what it is specifically. Pictures would help our guessing too :)

Boat Doctor1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
ITS THE WHITE ONE - THE jACK SCREW IN PIX ABOVE =is not THE ONE i HAVE SO HYDRUALIC TYPE TRIM. I cannot get the electrical diag to download says virus / ad ware. so it gets stopped from downloading.

Boat Doctor1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thats it!! now - would you have the ske for the trim gague & switch panel>?? I will also ask-? the ske here= shows fuses ( 2 ) just above the starter- tilt solenoid to right of the tilt solenoid?= I dont seem to have those on this engine? yet?? as im getting old now = there are what we tecks used to call " monkey balls" i believe from memory were fuse types - they were looking like a brown device surrounded in some sort of epoxy or potting material? Not actually in a type of "Fuse Holder" as we see in later models. am I correct on those being fuses? as I have checked for power thru each side of those & all's good - I have just no power to the trim switch to activate the trim solenoids. Im guessing this is a little earlier model than the ske here? due to those type brown fuses?

southkogs

Staff member
I don't have anything for the panel - and honestly, I'm not sure about the fuses. My system is different than what you have.

Boat Doctor1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi south= see above =also= the great ske u sent - by the way extremely helpful !! Thanx= i do also need the ske for the trim / tilt dash wiring bundle= appears to also go to controll box (shifter)--This has the tilt gague also & power is non existant to it. wires into main bundle to rear of engine & seems there is another small wire bundle (also factory) going to controll shifetr =likely neutral safety switch? Thank you -ifter testing I still have no power to shift wiring (disconected for test) At rear engine area = blue & green wires. Both shift coils test 15-19 ohms - again disconected. I dont have a value for those either. Thank you.

southkogs

Staff member
For the shifter, read through THIS topic and see if that gets you any ideas.