No shoe rule on boat ?

jkust

Rear Admiral
Been to several local dealers and some have the sign and some don't. Of course I don't care really what the dealers of boat shows do as they aren't the one who would need to somehow remove a damaged upholstery panel whereas some of them don't come off easily, locate an upholstery shop that has the ability to match it and pay me for my time and effort. Also someone mentioned cars several posts back...there is no comparison from boats to cars. I can find every single part and piece for just about any car easily but not for my boat, not easily, not inexpensively if you can find parts at all. You can be anal about your boat and to me that has nothing to do with how anal you may or may not be with your boat. Cars = easy fix no matter what the issue and boats are not even close to that easy.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
You can be anal about your boat and to me that has nothing to do with how anal you may or may not be with your boat.
Not sure what that statement means but you have every right to be anal about your boat...it's your boat.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I had a friend come out and wore water shoes with black rubber soles.

If i had a friend i told to take off his shoes he would. Otherwise he would not be my friend and would be told to take of his shoes not asked. If non compliant, easy fix.

That said, i have a clean foot and no boot rule mostly, depending on which boat we are in. Hell my wife's toenail polish is more of a PIA that shoe marks. And I DARE you to tell your woman not to wear toenail polish on a boat on a summer weekend. Double dog dare ya...

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
The boat shows in Los Angeles always allow shoes. Same goes for every boat dealer.

Went to an in-water boat show with $1Million yachts and they allowed shoes too as long as they were soft soled.
California, huh. Everybody knows that they are different from New Yorkers......LOL.

Seriously, though, regardless of what other states do, I'm only reporting whet they do in my neck of the woods.

As a matter of fact, just last week I happened to go to a local marina to pick up a part, and that dealer had the same sign on every boat in the showroom.

I'm surprised I got that much response from my comment. I thought sure my dog remark would have enraged a few.....LOL.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
California, huh. Everybody knows that they are different from New Yorkers......LOL.
Thankfully, everybody is different than New Yorkers.

It doesn't surprise me about the dogs. You don't strike me as much of a dog person.

Last edited:

oldjeep

Admiral

Seriously, though, regardless of what other states do, I'm only reporting whet they do in my neck of the woods.

As a matter of fact, just last week I happened to go to a local marina to pick up a part, and that dealer had the same sign on every boat in the showroom.

I'm surprised I got that much response from my comment. I thought sure my dog remark would have enraged a few.....LOL.

Need to specify the types of boats
-Big huge house on the water sized boats with transom entry doors - I'd expect that boat shoes and little captains hats are normal
-Fishin boats or boats fishin is done in - I'd expect that boots are normal, most of these guys won't even get their feet wet at the launch and fish hooks are a real concern
-Runabouts and tow boats - hardly ever see shoes on these types of boats unless they are trashed boats. Entry is by standing on seats, which are typically white in large part, and the boats have carpet.

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member
Easy fellas. A couple of jabs starting to show up ...

... cracks me up which topics wind up gaining the most mileage.

Willdiver

Cadet
I have a 45 year old 17' OB. Hull is in really good condition, but has some fading in the gel. Seats are serviceable, and ok, but not great (maybe another year or 2 before replacing) and the carpet is already shot (all original interior). I anchor at my favorite lake, so if you wear shoes, your'e going to ruin em just getting in and out of the boat. Other lake has metal docks. Wear what you want.
Wear and tear means that I'm using it with friends and family. But that's just me. If on your boat, I'll follow your rules.

Will

jkust

Rear Admiral
This shoes vs no shoes/anal vs not anal reminds me of a colleague of mine. It will be negative 30F and he will jab at me for wearing gloves in the winter as though we are still in high school. Like i am some sort of pansy for wanting to keep my hands warm and not just grin and bear it. We (he and I) entertain internationally and in the U.S. a lot and rent estates and large homes for various occasions to entertain clients. Last winter as we do every winter, we rented a house on a particular ski slope out west that sleeps 14 and ran of space for clients to sleep one particular night as people fly in and out all week so he and I ended up having to stay at the resort but they only had one room left. He took pride in the fact that he didn't bring a tooth brush or even a change of cloths for the overnight and again jabbed at me for bringing a bag with all of the appropriate items for an overnight. He and I are like water and oil but like brothers at the same time. We will never see eye to eye but still respect each other.
Oddly enough he is just getting to the point this week of buying his first boat. He already informed me he is not concerned with scratching and beating it up. I will put him in the 'keep your work boots on" category. I can't wait to stand on the vinyl of his $150,000 used boat with my 4wheeling boots on.

Last edited:

muskyfins

Chief Petty Officer
...... And I DARE you to tell your woman not to wear toenail polish on a boat on a summer weekend. Double dog dare ya...

I'm 6' 2" and go about 350 pounds. (Think NFL linebacker body type-just starting to let it slip these days). The admiral is 5' 4" and maybe 125 pounds soaking wet.

And there's no way in hell I'm telling her a thing about toenail polish. Or shoes. Or earings. Or radio station choice. She scares me.:eek:

Last edited:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Easy fellas. A couple of jabs starting to show up ...

... cracks me up which topics wind up gaining the most mileage.

Dang ya'll won't let us argue about politics ! Now your trying to ban us from arguing about shoe's ! :D :bolt::yield:

jkust

Rear Admiral
I'm 6' 2" and go about 350 pounds. (Think NFL linebacker body type-just starting to let it slip these days). The admiral is 5' 4" and maybe 125 pounds soaking wet.

And there's no way in hell I'm telling her a thing about toenail polish. Or shoes. Or earings. Or radio station choice. She scares me.:eek:

I tell my wife not to wear toe nail polish on the boat....she just doesn't listen to me. She thinks I'm crazy even asking her to keep an eye on the dock as we back out of the lift since I have no bumper on the dock corner.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Religion, politics and shoes = :mod:

;)

so this democrat priest and a republican rabbi went to Washington DC for a shoe shopping weekend but got sidetracked by the libertarian atheist...

But to the topic, sounds like everyone has their own rules and a friend should respect whatever that rule is.

Last edited:

tlombard

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have never even thought to tell people no shoes on my boat but most of my friends just naturally take them off before stepping on. Even though it is only an 18' open bow, I really don't worry about people stepping on my upholstery though. There is no need. I have a walk through transom and no carpet so we just board at the back of the boat and the only thing the shoes ever touch is fiberglass. No worries there.

And as somebody said well earlier, the boat is for fun. It's in beautiful shape (brand new interior, less than 30 hours on the motor, etc.) and I do everything I can to keep it that way but at the same time I'm not going to stress over little things. Eventually something is going to get scuffed up. If I have to spend a little more time cleaning then I'll deal with it.

The only time I've come close to saying something about shoes was a couple of weeks ago when I brought a girl out with us who had never been on a boat before other than a booze cruise. She had heels on. Short ones but still heels. I was going to tell her they had to come off before she boarded because I didn't want her slipping and hurting herself but she just took them off without anything needing to be said. I couldn't have her being hurt, I had to make sure she had fun and wanted to come back (she did and does). She upped the appearance of my boat 100 times easily. A couple of the guys I had invited that day who didn't come saw the pictures of her and I on the boat and they now hate themselves for not coming out with us!

muskyfins

Chief Petty Officer
I have never even thought to tell people no shoes on my boat but most of my friends just naturally take them off before stepping on. Even though it is only an 18' open bow, I really don't worry about people stepping on my upholstery though. There is no need. I have a walk through transom and no carpet so we just board at the back of the boat and the only thing the shoes ever touch is fiberglass. No worries there.

And as somebody said well earlier, the boat is for fun. It's in beautiful shape (brand new interior, less than 30 hours on the motor, etc.) and I do everything I can to keep it that way but at the same time I'm not going to stress over little things. Eventually something is going to get scuffed up. If I have to spend a little more time cleaning then I'll deal with it.

The only time I've come close to saying something about shoes was a couple of weeks ago when I brought a girl out with us who had never been on a boat before other than a booze cruise. She had heels on. Short ones but still heels. I was going to tell her they had to come off before she boarded because I didn't want her slipping and hurting herself but she just took them off without anything needing to be said. I couldn't have her being hurt, I had to make sure she had fun and wanted to come back (she did and does). She upped the appearance of my boat 100 times easily. A couple of the guys I had invited that day who didn't come saw the pictures of her and I on the boat and they now hate themselves for not coming out with us!

#1. I know you said low heels, but high heels are more than ok on my boat. They're encouraged!!!:bounce:

#2. You know how do on these forums. We're going to need pictures....:rockon:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
That's right .... No pics ... It didn't happen ... Rules are rules ... :joyous:

tlombard

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

I'm the ugly mug on the left. Her first time on a boat. She'll be back! We had our softball playoffs last week and we played against her team. After we beat the mess out of them she came running right over and started asking when we're going out on the boat again. This weekend!

Attachments

• photo251025.jpg
    photo251025.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 0

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Boy, you are ugly! Lol j/k Sorry, you served it up on a silver platter. I had to run with it...Haha....