No shoe rule on boat ?

Jmunk

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ever since I was a kid it was taught early on that you never wear shoes on a boat to limit scuff marks on upholstery and dirt from coming on to the boat.

Granted my current boat is a small 19' open bow I had a friend come out and wore water shoes with black rubber soles. I told him he was the first person to ever wear shoes on any of my boats and he laughed but knew I was serious. I informed him to be cautious about climbing around the sunpad with them on to avoid scuff marks on the vinyl. I said I would rather him take them off but he stated he always wears them when he swims. Long story short I ended up with scuff marks that I had to do my best to clean off.

Anyone else that has been on my boats took off their shoes without me saying anything, I found it to be respectful. Am I crazy for being so picky about keeping the interior clean and a "no shoe rule".?

Last edited:

boatman37

Lieutenant
not at all. your boat your rules. i try to 'entice' people to take their shoes off in my boat but 95% of the time it is just the 2 of us anyway but our adult kids usually leave theirs on but rarely leave the rear seat of the boat so they don't climb around or track anything

batman99

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 20 year old boat (bought used 5 years ago) and being 20 years old, I let people wear shoes in it, let dogs have fun in it, don't cry when it bounces off the dock and don't cry when it gets beached on pebble shorelines as well. And, even allow them to eat and accidently drop food crumbs on its floor as well. IMO, "used = have fun". That's the rule with my boat.

airshot

Rear Admiral
I am with batman99, my boat is for fun, it is not new, not expensive, yet we have fun every time we go out. In my boat I don't allow anything I would consider to be unsafe, otherwise enjoy. The only other rule is do not puke in my boat...if you feel uneasy I have buckets, I will return to shore or do whatever for your comfort but I will not clean up other peoples puke.

MRS

Commander
We have dog 90.lbs. he has never wore shoes on our boat. Plus four grand kids that have a blast with or with out shoes depends what you want to do with your boat.:pride: If you worry about the boat do what you need to do on your boat. Ours is for fun in the sun... Plus we do get a little fish blood on ours from time to time and clean when we get home...

Last edited:

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
I can understand not wanting people to accelerate the aging process of your boat. I have found that nobody takes as good a care of your stuff and you do. We bought our boat new and it is now 14 years old. The upholstery is starting to show its age, but it looks darn good IMHO.
When I was a kid out on a boat with my friend and his family, he was walking from the bow to the stern of the boat. Back then the decks didn't have carpet, they were just smooth fiberglass. He slipped and his bare foot jammed into some metal fitting and sliced his foot open from toes to heel. For that reason, I've never been too bothered about foot wear on the boat. I'm really picky about my campers and truck, though! ;)

Ned L

Commander
I guess that's fine for smaller boats. As they get larger there are cleats, hatch trim, and all sorts of things to catch you toes on, shoes may well be preferred there.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Your boat, your rules. If people do not comply with the rules, they can wait at the dock.

Our boat is a no shoes, and now no red wine, no red margarita boat.

In my industry, no shoes on any boat unless they are deck shoes (and only by the crew). Tyvek booties are usually worn. There is a reason good deck shoes are about $150 a pair. They do not scuff, mark, etc

Oshkosh1

Ensign
Here's the thing about being the Captain...if you want "no shoes" you GET no shoes.

Now...personally, I don't really care for the most part. I wear my Keens in it all of the time. They're non marking. My wife and kids are usually wearing sandals/flip flops(I adhere to a non-flip flop rule on the dock more stringently) but they're always careful. We don't drink alcohol on it...a few sandwiches/snacks is about it.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
I guess that's fine for smaller boats. As they get larger there are cleats, hatch trim, and all sorts of things to catch you toes on, shoes may well be preferred there.

I frown on bare feet and flip-flops.Either can be dangerous on deck. I wear deck shoes or sandals that strap securely to my feet. The vast majority my guests are fellow boaters, so I really haven't had an issue with inappropriate footwear.

aspeck

Staff member
As has been said, your boat, your rules. I fish, ski, tube, swim, etc out of mine so different rules for different times ... When strictly a fishing trip, shoes are a must ... Don't want anyone stepping on a misplaced lure ... Footwear must match tghe activity, but no flip-flops ever, they are just dangerous. FYI, mine is a 17 year old dual console ... The best "all around" boat I could find ...

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Agree your boat your rules. But I can honestly see so many hazards on any boat that I would welcome visitors to wear shoes for foot protection. Too easy to cut a foot regardless the layout of your boat. I would rather clean a boat then pay doctor or hospital bills. JMHO!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Seen too many feet getting cut open so you can wear what you want on my boat.

I know people that are anal about their cars as well and have slippers they put on when they get in their car LOL.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Yep, your boat, your rules. I would have to be told to take my shoes off. I wouldn't assume those were the rules and take them off automatically.

For my boat, which is all carpet, I have the "fun" rule too. Wear shoes, don't wear shoes(same as my house), unless fishing. Then they're a must. Crumbs, peanuts, that's what a vacuum is for... :)

Someone mentioned fish blood, mine would be Musky slime......... Yeah, sometimes they end up on the floor....

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Yep, your boat, your rules. I would have to be told to take my shoes off. I wouldn't assume those were the rules and take them off automatically.
Me too. I know a lot of people that have boats and I don't know one that has a no shoes rule.

82rude

Rear Admiral
I'm the opposite .Were shoes,mine is a fishing boat and the day somebody doesn't wear shoes will be the day the lost jig is found!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Agree with Musky and Bruce ... I'm wearing shoes unless asked to take them off .. And would not be offended if they did ask . That's being respectful to their rules ..
If ya get on my boat I would prefer you wear shoes .. If ya want to take them off thats up to you just be careful ..

SDSeville

Lieutenant
Shoes are OK on the deck, but the Admiral will not allow them in the cabin.