Newbie Rebuild" 1988 Bluefin Sportsman 1900 w/ 100HP Merc

Profittakr

Seaman Apprentice
Looking good so Far. Just found your post as I am about to do a cosmetic update to the same exact boat. 1988 Blue Fin Sportsman 1700. My boat is very sound and I redid the decking a year or 2 ago so all below is sound. Last year I filled my boat on land to look for leaks but found none so that was good. I want to redo mine with new seats, carpet and vinyl. I figure now is the time to replace the transom as well. It feels solid and I have had no issues but it probably needs replacing. I see that you removed the splash well to get to yours. Is that necessary or do you think it will pull out through the top easily. Yours was nice to see out in one piece rather than in pieces and it certainly makes making a template easier. If you made one, any way of you sharing that with me?

What is you latest update. Last post was 3 months ago.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Profittakr please adhere to the 90days inactive topic rule and dont post to topics that havent gotten any new posts in the last 90days.

Render has been on iboats as recently as 2 days ago, and didnt post here.

Might get and reply to your post, might not...

Renderwurx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yeah. sorry guys... got busy with other thigns aqnd weather turned cooooold. I did manage to get the boat and trailerr in the garage... but the tongue stuck outr a few inches so I had to build a little kneewall for the garage door to come down to... pffft... My hillbilly ways!

Anyhow... I have been perusing the forums gathering info on electrical and such.. and deciding on the decking layout of the boat. I did get the stringers primered and riveted back in. And the main deck pieces cut in.

I am going to build some underframing and lift the front deck to the underside of the gunwhales. Right now I have 7' set aside but that may be too much, howeevr, with the gas tank taking some fo the front, I want to make sure I have some storage in there somewhere.

Making a template was easy... I had a big roll of plotting paper I just strapped across and traced underneath.

QYQKTDm.jpg

Renderwurx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Next step was to stiffen it and place it under the gunwhale and mark again:

y3hHsvM.jpg

Renderwurx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am going to make it a center console of sorts... and really want to do a flipfllop cooler seat. Found this awesome cooler that is the perfect fit for my needs:

mUF8udB.jpg

Renderwurx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just not sure where I want everything yet... The shop light bpox approximates the splashwell... I might want a little more room in back.

7gDXfvY.jpg

Renderwurx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Found this top mount Binnacle Remote on Ebay for a steal at $57 shipped. And I can add a trim switch for $25...

hzZXZiG.jpg

Renderwurx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
As I said, I have been shopping for the electric project... an A/B/Both switch, bus bar, fuse panel, amber LED strip lights to light the inside of the boat at night (less bugs), led floods, switch panel, breaker, connectors, etc.... that's most of what I want... just need marine wire... will run 14 gauge throughout to accessories, and maybe 6 gauge mains.

KJMhrbG.jpg

Renderwurx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Looking good so Far. Just found your post as I am about to do a cosmetic update to the same exact boat. 1988 Blue Fin Sportsman 1700. My boat is very sound and I redid the decking a year or 2 ago so all below is sound. Last year I filled my boat on land to look for leaks but found none so that was good. I want to redo mine with new seats, carpet and vinyl. I figure now is the time to replace the transom as well. It feels solid and I have had no issues but it probably needs replacing. I see that you removed the splash well to get to yours. Is that necessary or do you think it will pull out through the top easily. Yours was nice to see out in one piece rather than in pieces and it certainly makes making a template easier. If you made one, any way of you sharing that with me?

What is you latest update. Last post was 3 months ago.

Hi Profittakr, Mine came out in a couple pieces and I chose to not use it for a pattern. Since I moved it into a really tiny garage, I cannot work on the transom. But I will make a paper then cardboard pattern from the back of the boat and cut to fit. I will use 3/4" Marine Ply doubled to make the 1.5"

There were quite a few bolts and screws that go through the splashwell into the transom... and hard to reach areas when splashwell is in... so I opted to remove... a LOT easier than I thought it would be and just as easy to reinstall. (I am thinking) It lets you get a REALLY goof look at the brace and everything back there so you can fix it up right. But I suppose one could wrestle it out and back in without removing the splashwell.

Renderwurx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
A time or two this wiring diagram has been uploaded to here but the links broken or not working correctly... I was able to use my HTLM skills to rebuiild the link and get it so wanted to reshare it here. It is not my design, but seems ot have solid concepts to follow.

LSXGJDM.png

Renderwurx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
And here is the PDF version of the diagram

Attachments

• Typical Wiring.pdf
    465.3 KB · Views: 6

oldrem

Commander
Sure clears up some of the questions I had in my head. Thank you.

Renderwurx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OK... hope to make some progress this weekend. I bought the Boiled Linseed Oil, Mineral Spirits, and Spar Varnish to make the Old Timers' Formula for sealing wood. But I need to finalize my layout first... which means I have to figure out my center console.

I have decided to have it butt up again the front deck, and have a step on either side to step up to the casting/net throwing deck. Good old cardboard once again allows me to mock up the height, size, etc. This is pretty much what I am going to build out of plywood... except make it several inches wider... 28" wide total.

sLED7q4.jpg

Last edited:

Renderwurx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Plans for my simple console... 37" tall, 28" wide, 14" deep.

jnXrObL.jpg

Attachments

• console.pdf
    9.6 KB · Views: 5

Renderwurx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Have the console parts cut. Need to finish up the front deck, but before that, finish up the nose. Jeesh... 3 steps back to move forward... but slow and steady am I right?

The original nose had a a curved top (note the arched board running across the nose, This also caused the gunwhales to twist outward as well. It looked fine of course, but I would rather it be a nice flat nose giving me a nice flat surface for mounting trolling motor, and leveling out the gunwhales. No problem... cut out the existing board (was pretty bad shape anyway) and using a clamped 1x3 to straighten out the gunwhales. I have a new board cut straight, that when installed will tied it all together. will the nose deck with a 3/4" piece of marine ply then cover with aluminum sheet.

1LKnakb.jpg