Newbie on board

Tiggeroni

Cadet
Hi all, I'm about to buy a new 2010 four winns H240 bowrider. With a Volvo 5.7 300 hp dual prop. for 55K tax in up here in Quebec. The dealer told me the volve engine has a special 7 year guarantee, is this true?

I'm I doing the right buy for the money. I figure I'll be upgrade in a few years and can get a good price for it in a couple of years. I'm I doing right?

btw this will be my very first boat.

thanks all

alilley

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Newbie on board

i totallly understand wanting the nices and the newest out there but me personally i would not buy anything new weather it be a car truck boat or bike it looses so much value as soon as you pull it off the lot it is not even funny i too am new to boats as i just purchased my first less then 2 weeks ago and what i did was i dug arround and found me a nice used boat that fit what i was looking for my family and what i was wanting to do not to mention the aspect this will be the one you learn in if you think back to when you first driving and your firs car how many times did it get scratches and dents or even totaled due to inexperiance with the cost of new boats today sorry but me personally i would rather take a loss on a 5000$ (and believe me you can get a nice boat for that) then i would a 30000$ plus loss i am just tell you what i would do and why but if you are dead set on this one with the "special warrenty" before you sign anything i would ask to see what the warrenty covers in writting before it goes anything further and double check everything make sure all your i's are dotted and t's are crossed before you fork over the cash

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

You may want to read this thread; http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=418027 It's long (85 replies), but it'll give you an idea of what kind of responses you'd get from your question. Me personally, I wouldn't buy a brand new boat as my first boat. After you've been out on it awhile, you may find it's exactly the type of boat you enjoy using, which would be great, but, it may not be, in which case you'll want something different. $55k (even Canadian) is a lot of change to spend to see if it's right for you.

Tiggeroni

Cadet

thanks for the advice, I realize buying a new boat is maybe not the right thing to do. But I'm a newbie, the seller of the boat is including all the ropes bumpers, life jackets etc, free docking for the rest of the season, a captain for the first time I take it out in other words all the bells and whistles.

I have been shopping around for used boats and I found a 2008 sea ray 230 , which I can get for 45K , that's 10 K less, but I do like the guarantee of volvo engine. I just have to find out if this 7 years is true.

I know I will sell this boat in about 2 years, and want something bigger and probably a cruiser, but from what I have been seeing in the market up here I should easily sell this boat at a minimum for 45 K in 2 years. so that's a 10 k lost in 2 years. Which I find OK

I went on the four winns website and the boat from the website is 65 K PLUS tax. I'm getting it for 55 K tax in. the tax rate here is a total of 12.95 %

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

I guess I just don't understand why someone would buy a brand new boat that they plan on selling 2 years, and also worry about a 7 year warranty.

Just for grins and giggles I checked to see the value of a 2008 model of the H240. $29000 (us) or about $30k CAN. The '08 had a list price of $54k. I'm seeing the '07 & '08 on CL and kijiji for about $35k.

You can also just call Four Winns:

925 Frisbie Street
Cadillac, MI 49601
1-231-775-1343

Tiggeroni

Cadet

I guess I just don't understand why someone would buy a brand new boat that they plan on selling 2 years, and also worry about a 7 year warranty.

Just for grins and giggles I checked to see the value of a 2008 model of the H240. $29000 (us) or about $30k CAN. The '08 had a list price of $54k. I'm seeing the '07 & '08 on CL and kijiji for about $35k.

You can also just call Four Winns:

925 Frisbie Street
Cadillac, MI 49601
1-231-775-1343

The guarentee is good because it`s transferable, good for resale. you`re forgetting I`m from Canada , the boat sales for 65K plus tax here from the website. I`m getting it for 55 k tax in. I have looked at used boats and a 2008 H240 here is 40 to 45 range.

Pez Vela

Chief Petty Officer

I just have to find out if this 7 years is true.

It's probably not as clear cut as being true or false, but rather a nebulous type of statement that is best described as "marketing and salesmanship."

Questions I would ask would be if this warranty includes some kind of an "extended" warranty, and if so, by whom: Volvo? Four Winns? the dealer? an aftermarket company? Since you're going to be selling the boat in two years and want to use the "transferable warranty" as a selling point, pay close attention to how the dealer markets it to you so you can later do the same. Be advised, however, that your prospective purchaser may ask to actually read it before he buys.