Newb Aluminum restore question

jekel35

Cadet
Hey all,
So what's the best way to remove paint on a aluminum boat? Also, is Gluvit just used on the inside of the boat or could you use it on the outside as well.
Thanks

crankbait cowboy

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Newb Aluminum restore question

gluvit on the inside after cleaning up real well, covering rivets and seams. do not know of anybody on here using it on outside. as far as removing paint some use air craft stripper or klean strip. put on ,cover with plastic wrap for hours or so and strip off with plastic scraper. wear gloves and have good ventilation. if you are going to repaint, and old paint is not bad ( chalky or peeling ) i would sand it and leave it on instead of stripping . this gives the primer something to adhear to. if you strip to the bare aluminum or have any bare aluminum, you really need to prime with a light coat of self etch primer ( spray can ) before regular primer so it will adhere. shine look strip it, painting later sand it and dont forget self etch primer on any bare aluminum. good luck

cj8mule

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hey Jekel.

I think it's best to leave the paint on and use a sander if the paint's in good shape. If the paint is not in good shape, stripping works pretty well. To paint bare aluminum you're going to have to acid wash, self etching primer, prime, and then top coat.

Gluvit is used on the inside along the seams and rivets.

jekel35

Cadet

Would a regular paint thinner work or even mineral spirits?

gluvit on the inside after cleaning up real well, covering rivets and seams. do not know of anybody on here using it on outside. as far as removing paint some use air craft stripper or klean strip. put on ,cover with plastic wrap for hours or so and strip off with plastic scraper. wear gloves and have good ventilation. if you are going to repaint, and old paint is not bad ( chalky or peeling ) i would sand it and leave it on instead of stripping . this gives the primer something to adhear to. if you strip to the bare aluminum or have any bare aluminum, you really need to prime with a light coat of self etch primer ( spray can ) before regular primer so it will adhere. shine look strip it, painting later sand it and dont forget self etch primer on any bare aluminum. good luck

jekel35

Cadet

its a little too late for that. I have already removed most of the paint from the bottom of the hull using a 100 grit orbital sander. I hope I didn't bite off more than I can chew.
This is where I'm at thus far: 20140318_162854.jpg

Hey Jekel.

I think it's best to leave the paint on and use a sander if the paint's in good shape. If the paint is not in good shape, stripping works pretty well. To paint bare aluminum you're going to have to acid wash, self etching primer, prime, and then top coat.

Gluvit is used on the inside along the seams and rivets.

Last edited:

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Welcome to iboats!

Your going to have to get a few rattle cans of zinc chromate and lightly spray that bare aluminum. It only requires a light coat so 2 cans will probably do a 12' boat. Gluvit can be applied to the exterior as well as the interior but inside it best unless you need it as a anti scuff coating for rocks.

Zinc chromate (Do not order the galvanizing stuff) primer Moeller Zinc Primers

gluvit gluvit

Use a hand held wire brush across the rivets and seams first ;)

crankbait cowboy

Chief Petty Officer

well, it can still be painted, just a bit more work with the vinager wash and wipe down and then a light coat of self etch primer. another option looks to be polish er up, and you could still paint that white stripe on top. leave er naked, and polish away. search for dozer in seaarch bar at top, as he has done a few naked and excellent workmanship. would give youy some ideas

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

You can leave paint on the rivets.........

jekel35

Cadet

Hey all
So I finally got all the paint off the bottom of the boat. Would someone mind confirming the next steps for me. This is what I've read should be done.
1 Remove paint.- Check
2 wash with detergent and water
3. Wash with 50/50 vinegar water mix
4. Apply the self-etching stuff
5. Apply paint
6. Apply more paint
7. Seal with epoxy?

Not sure about the last few steps. Any guidance?

old islander

Petty Officer 1st Class

#7 seal with epoxy. You should not need to "seal" your paint with anything. If your using rusto or any other stand alone paint system, the only thing you may want to do is a good coat of wax like you would do to your car. You may have the epoxy sealing confused with the wood in your boat { floors, transom, etc** Wood gets sealed with epoxy or poly resin. Everything else on your list is in proper order. One thing tho...when you do the vinegar wash, rinse well with water after and allow the hull to air dry. Set up a few fans to help speed up the process if doing this indoors. Do not touch the hull after that with bare hands before applying the etching primer. If you do decide to wax the paint wait at least a month or so. Paint, enamels for sure need a good few weeks to dry and "out gas" completely. Waxing too soon can hamper the out gassing process, leading to problems down the road.

Last edited:

jekel35

Cadet

#7 seal with epoxy. You should not need to "seal" your paint with anything. If your using rusto or any other stand alone paint system, the only thing you may want to do is a good coat of wax like you would do to your car. You may have the epoxy sealing confused with the wood in your boat { flooros, transom, etc** Wood gets sealed with epoxy or poly resin. Everything else on your list is in proper order. One thing tho...when you do the vinegar wash, rinse well with water after and allow the hull to air dry. Set up a few fans to help speed up the process if doing this indoors. Do not touch the hull after that with bare hands before applying the etching primer. If you do decide to wax the paint wait at least a month or so. Paint, enamels for sure need a good few weeks to dry and "out gas" completely. Waxing too soon can hamper the out gassing process, leading to problems down the road.

One more question. Should steps 2-5 all happen on the same day within a specific time frame? And the plan is to do camo on the bottom. What's the best advice for that?

old islander

Petty Officer 1st Class

3 and 4 would be best to do on the same day. Once the self etch is on you can paint at your leisure. I have not done a lot of camo painting, but when I did a duck skiff once I painted my base color on [a light tan] then after it dried I filled in the rest with different colors in rattle cans. I did all the camo fill in at the same time, spraying wet on wet. Spraying them together made them sort of melt together, rather then have hard lines of light to dark. If your doing flat colors for the camo you would not wax these. In my previous post I assumed you were going for a shiny paint job.

Last edited:

jekel35

Cadet

The camo is per request. I'm just the laborer.
Another random question, are they any concerns when doing this work outdoors?

jbcurt00

Staff member

Bugs, tree debris, general blown trash and bird carp in slow curing paint. Getting overspray on the Admirals car...

Hazards of working & esp painting outside.

jekel35

Cadet

Does the temperature of the boat matter? Out in the northern CA sun the hull gets pretty hot.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

You never want to paint in direct sunlight. get it in the shade

jbcurt00

Staff member

You never want to paint in direct sunlight. get it in the shade

Yep ^^^ and once you've acid etched the hull NO BARE HANDS. I'd probably glove up for ever light sanding between coats too.