force tilt trim

dc363

Cadet
new to boating but mechaniclly inclined. just pick up 90 bayliner capri 150 hp force outboard promplem is tilt trim not working. motor is spinning losssened front hydra line bottom of motor fluid coming out when trim pressed motor does not move unit does build pressure. drained and changed fluid no movment. fluid does move from front facing line witch goes to valve body then fluid from valve body to return line in bottom of motor. from my thinking it should work fluid making complete cycle through system but motor does not move on it own. if it put a stap on motor get in the boat and put pressure on motor it seems to pull down but if i let go of stat it is like there is no pressure in cylinder to hold up motor. the guy i got boat from said he had someone do something to the system so the motor can be moved up and secured with a stap so he could get it out of water last year. i am at my wits end . im sure it something simple i just cant aford to throw money at it any ideas would be great thank you

spicoastie

Cadet
Re: force tilt trim

On most trim and tilts there is a bypass screw for manual operation on the sides by your mounting bolts.

Brett

RRitt

Captain

.you need to plug all the ports except the front one that faces down. Go to harbor frieght and buy thier 5000psi pressure gauge for $10. Ge some brass fittings from NAPA to go from 3/16" brake line to your H/F pressure gauge. Now test again. That port needs to deliver and hold between 1500-2500PSI.

dc363

Cadet

thanks for the repley you mean the 4 ports on the bottom of motor? all 4 face down. the one closest to the boat seams to push fluid out when motor oi activated. as you explained if not enough pressure then the promblem is tilt motor? thanks again

RRitt

Captain

all four ports down is an Eaton. You sure it isn't a 1991?

Being an Eaton changes everything. The Eaton is a great pump. However, Mercury used cheap fluid and the orings harden and split. You probably have a split oring on your trim piston. Just replace all the orings and flush the system. The Eaqton pump is sensitive to debris so get out as much as you can. You will also need new cover bolts. They stretch and break with age.

dc363

Cadet

thanks for the info yes it it a 91. is there somewhere that i can get instruction on replacing o rings i know what there are but would not have a clue where they would be. im mechanical cars small engines etc this stuff is toatlly new to me. im not the type to pay someone id much rather learn myself. any and all help would be awsome. thank you

RRitt

Captain

You should buy a manual one way or another. The least you could do for Iboats in exchange for providing this forum is buy one of their manuals. As a Force owner the quality of work done on your engine will fall into one of two categories. The work that you do yourself and really crummy stuff by the temporary kid at marina.

However, I'm not sure if all manuals cover hydraulic work and I would have doubts about the quality of details in those that do. If your manual doesn't cover hydraulics look on Ebay for the kit with instructions.

dc363

Cadet

ritt thanks again for the in put i did purchase a manuel but really does not get into great detail. but i think i might have the problem narrowed down to the valve body. the manuel says it is un servicable. does motor have to be removed to replace valve body? it is in the wide open but only one hydro line goes to it that i can see ,,,one is kind of close going up under the bottom of bracket, can only see the line not the end any idea

RRitt

Captain

The valve body with all four ports down is an Eaton designed pump on a Mercury manifold.
The Eaton pump is the most durable and trouble free pump I have ever seen used on any boat.
It is the best recreational boating power trim pump ever made.
If it stops working then a piece of debris has gotten jammed inside of it.
If a piece of debris gets into the pump then it came from the cylinders orings.
If debris came from the orings then the orings need replacing.

dc363

Cadet

took apart trim cylinder o rings worn kind of loose got some on order. know still if trimed up put tension on engine it will pull down when trim is activated, let tension go it free falls. trim up activate motor but must lift manually wont go up on its own. hopping its just the o rings in trim cylinder. will let you know the outcome thanks for the help what do you think am i going in the right direction ???

RRitt

Captain

replace cover bolts if you have big engine. they stretch and snap over time.

surfsalterpath

Petty Officer 2nd Class

...what are cover bolts?

I am having a similar issue w/ leakage on my tilt/trim piston.
1996 75hp force
replaced the pump 2 years ago and now it seems to be the
pistons turn. First I thought the leak was coming from the
hydro line screwed into the bottom of the piston but when
I installed a new hydro line the leaking fluid was coming from behind
the piston. Cannot tell exactly where the leak is. We attempted
to remove the bolts that hold the tilt/trim piston frame onto the
motor frame but busted/snapped a bolt. Rats! Is this the cover bolt?

I guess the cheapest thing would be to rebuild the piston, huh?

thanks and sorry for jumping in but this sounds like the identical
problem I am having dc is having.

RRitt

Captain

...what are cover bolts?

I am having a similar issue w/ leakage on my tilt/trim piston.
1996 75hp force
replaced the pump 2 years ago and now it seems to be the
pistons turn. First I thought the leak was coming from the
hydro line screwed into the bottom of the piston but when
I installed a new hydro line the leaking fluid was coming from behind
the piston. Cannot tell exactly where the leak is. We attempted
to remove the bolts that hold the tilt/trim piston frame onto the
motor frame but busted/snapped a bolt. Rats! Is this the cover bolt?

I guess the cheapest thing would be to rebuild the piston, huh?

thanks and sorry for jumping in but this sounds like the identical
problem I am having dc is having.

1996 75HP is a different system. The cover bolts apply to a three ram 2-stage system used on 85-150HP. Yours is probably a leaking ram. If it was anything else then you should have found it by now.

dc363

Cadet

ritt, im having touble finding a valve body 92 force 150 hp model #1501x92a have one on order for 2 weeks called today was told on back order from mercury available date unknown.. any idea where to find one? thanks

RRitt

Captain

tall skinny eaton pump?
you sure its the pump? bleed down on those is usually a blown piston ring. If a thread is stripped then you're in a tough spot. There isn't enough aluminum to make a reliable thread repair every time.

dc363

Cadet

its not bleeding down it only moves up if button is pushed and someone lifts the motor. if motor is up it will go down on its own i have to strap it off to keep it up when it is stapped up and the down button is pushed it will go down but i have to hold tension on it.. and will only go uo if it is pushed manuelly will button is pushed.. any ideas . ive flushed the system lie you sauid in other post

dc363

Cadet

what do you mean by piston ring i bought a manuall but only trouble shoots leak down . cant do that if i cant geet motor to stay up

RRitt

Captain

mercury used cheap atf in 1992 and it causes the piston rings to harden and crack. When that system starts having hydraulic problems the first thing to do is usually an entire rebuild. The eaton pump is a fabulous piece of engineering. the rams aren't bad either. It the mercury corner cutting that did it in. They should of used hydrolic oil but the extra 10 cents was just more than they were willing to spend.

dc363

Cadet

how would i check pistion rings?? or complete rebuild?

RRitt

Captain

Do you have an Eaton pump? If so then you just rebuild the rams first and ask questions second. You can rebuild the rams without taking off boat. It is a relatively cheap and easy repair if you boat has never been in salt water. Check mercury dealers for individual orings and parts. I have a kit on ebay but it is just a bundled grouping of same parts listed in a parts diagrams.