New to Forums -> New to boating -> Old hat at restoration, just not boats:)

Small Saddle Wedgie

Seaman Apprentice
Re: New to Forums -> New to boating -> Old hat at restoration, just not boats:)

And Pictures:

Because I know you guys like pictures:
Here's the Damage up close and personal.

PreRestoDamage2_zps8e7cf7d5.jpg

Small Saddle Wedgie

Seaman Apprentice

No offense, but with those type of injuries, do you really think you can do the labor required to restore a boat??? I'm thinking if you can then you can go back to your pest control business cuz it won't require some of the physical things the boat restoration will.

Ha, most likely not :)
I have a good brain, lots of tools, and a strong group of men that I fellowship with at my church who love to tinker:)
I also have two strapping nephews who I pay 10 bucks an hour to help me when I need it!

(As for Commercial Pest control, I don't run a spray rig. My company only deals with Hospitals, large factories, and national chains. It's actually one of the most physically demanding jobs I've had ... if done correctly...
I spent my days crawling under industrial ovens, on rooftops, walking around mile long factories, climbing ladders wearing a backpack full of liquid, chasing rats with a stick.. lol, that's actually fun.. crawling around restaurant kitchens on your hands and knees, looking for that 1 roach that 1 server saw run out of the other servers purse before it can lay it's nasty lil eggs....
crawling all over a hotel roof, in maintenance rooms, and boiler rooms looking to figure out how that stinkin' 4 inch long american roach got in and carried off that guy's suitcase.... and that's all in one day lol)

I have saws, sanders, grinders, and all kinda fun stuff that I can use left handed and just use the right for direction and balance.
Also, I have no time table ... oh... and pain pills ;)

I will do what I can do, what I can't well, I haven't gotten there yet
As many as are wanting to go fishing on my boat... they'll be over to help with the fun stuff

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

Tagging along,..........

73Chrysler105

Chief Petty Officer

I don't know what this means, am I posting too much stuff? Or in the wrong location?

Means they posted something so the will get emailed the updates when they happen.

FYI what you are sticking you pen knife into on the video is not the stringer based on the sound it made sounds like it is foam. The stringer is likely about 6 inches past that foam. I could be wrong but the sound when you stuck it in sounded just like it did on mine when I was cutting through my foam to remove it. Stringers will typically be wrapped in fiberglass and so will be hard on the outside and squishy on the inside.

On the transom pulling on it like you did puts most of the force downward which would create the least deflection. You have to tilt the motor all the way up then with the weight of the lower end and the leverage of the length from the lower end. Even that can not always tell with the strength in the fiberglass, shaping of the transom and the aluminum edging. Once you get torn into it I would bet you need to fiberglass in a new wood transom as well since there was a lot of water sitting in that wet foam.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

You picked a nice style project boat to learn the process of bringing a boat back to useful condition. It can be quite fun tearing into a boat and learning all the steps involved with getting them back to some form of safe use. With that said, assessing your boat, and everything that will need to be done, before you spend a dime would be really good time spent. If you still decide to take this boat on and complete the project, you should end up with a boat that you will know is safe.
The pictures do support the opinion that the boat may have been picked over already, and you just purchased a good trailer with a shell of the former fully rigged boat. Once you tear out all the floors, wet foam and rotting wood, you will have a clear picture of the cost and amount of labor required. I'm tagging along too, please keep your picture coming.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I admire your SPUNK!!!! I TRULY DO!!!! If I was closer, I'd be one of those that would drop by to lend a hand when and where I could!!!! I wish there were more like you!!! Just keep posting and I for one will keep answering to the best of my ability. We'll figure out a way to get this thing back on the water as long as you're willing to "Git er Dun!!!!":D

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Welcome to the Iboats restoration forum, fiberglass division, SS Wedgie...
I would like to come aboard and see a distant cousin of my boat go through some rehab...
At the end of my post, where my signature is, you'll see a link to my current and ongoing for 3 years, restoration of my 1988 Glasstream Bass Boat...
In the early pictures of my thread you'll see a striking resemblance to your craft...
I tried to document as well as possible every major step I have taken so far, and while quite long and drawn out, most of what you will be facing is documented in my thread...
You can get some shortcuts to specific milestones by looking at the Index links...
Very happy to see your gung ho attitude and that you have several options to help you out along the way...
Feel free to PM me or post in my thread, if there is anything I can help clear up for you as you wend your way through this exciting, yet daunting task that lays ahead of you.
It is a fairly steep learning curve, but it ain't no rocket science, so with a bit of perseverance and an open mind, you'll get the hang of all this forum and boating mumbo jumbo...
For all of your engine related questions start a thread in the Mercury section of the forum...Here...Mercury & Mariner Outboards
To get you started, the first things you with have to do to check whether or not the engine is a viable candidate for bringing back to life are as follows:
1-Remove the top cowling cover and try to turn the flywheel by hand, you may need some leverage, and removing the spark plugs will definitely help...also, take a look into the cylinders with a light and assess if any of the pistons look melted, burned or have a hole in them...
2-If it turns freely and you don't hear any strange noises, with the plugs removed, then you can think about spending some money to try the next few steps...
3-Beg, Borrow, Steal?[nah, don't do that], or buy on Craigslist or ebay a known/guaranteed starter
4- Install starter.
5-Get a good fully charged battery and hook it up...
6- run a compression check on the engine...if that all looks good, then...
7- check for a good hot spark...
If you get that far, the engine gurus in the Mercury forum will guide from there...
Later on you can start your search for a lower unit...
Oh and BTW, that engine size is probably one of the most popular sizes for these bass boats, they were rated to 150HP, but keep in mind, back then that was a rating at the crankshaft, not the prop, like they are rated today...so realistically a solid 115HP engine from that era is actually only putting about 90-100 HP to the prop.
Still plenty of go power, but keep in mind that these bass boats are relatively heavy for their size...
Hey I'm running out of wind, so for now...
Best of luck and most of all, Have Fun!
Gus

Last edited:

Small Saddle Wedgie

Seaman Apprentice

If I was closer, I'd be one of those that would drop by to lend a hand when and where I could!!!!

You're only 4 hours away! The day I set this down in the water, you'll have to come down for the christening!
Just please don't hit the new paint job with a bottle ;)

Cptkid570

Ensign

I would definitely try to do a compression test before sinking any money into the engine. I'm not an outboard guy, but can't a rope be wrapped around the flywheel and then pull start it?

Also, I agree with the previous poster in that it sounds like you are cutting into wet foam, keep going until you hit the stringer. Who knows, maybe the stringers are ok. If the boat sat in a barn its whole life and was only outdoors for a small amount of time, I'd think that they would be good. What a big difference that would make if the stringers and transom are fine.

Oh, if the cap is removed, that would be a good time to do any work needed to the inside of the gas tank. Was all of the old gas removed or did it turn to varnish? I was just reading a thread on removing old varnished gas from a plastic fuel tank only using chemicals (Chemtol B12).

How is the steering cable? Is it locked up? If it runs under the cap, that may be something to change out while the cap is off too.

Small Saddle Wedgie

Seaman Apprentice

FYI what you are sticking you pen knife into on the video is not the stringer based on the sound it made sounds like it is foam. The stringer is likely about 6 inches past that foam. I could be wrong but the sound when you stuck it in sounded just like it did on mine when I was cutting through my foam to remove it. Stringers will typically be wrapped in fiberglass and so will be hard on the outside and squishy on the inside.

On the transom pulling on it like you did puts most of the force downward which would create the least deflection. You have to tilt the motor all the way up then with the weight of the lower end and the leverage of the length from the lower end.

I thought it made an odd sound, which is why I chuckled, but I have known wood to make that sound when it had been completely gutted by termintes (I call it sponge wood). So I wasnt sure. I didn't think about carving away at all that and checking .. but I will now!
I will take your advice on the motor tilting for the transom check... but I will wait until I check the stingers.. if I'm going to have to pull the cap, I'd be able to see transom anyways.
But all solid advice! Thanks a ton for it!

I would definitely try to do a compression test before sinking any money into the engine....
Who knows, maybe the stringers are ok...
What a big difference that would make if the stringers and transom are fine....
Was all of the old gas removed or did it turn to varnish?...
How is the steering cable?...

I have all my tools for doing an auto compression test, I should be able to make those work, I can do a leakdown as well.
Would be a huge bonus if I didn't have to rebuild the engine. (Though it does sound fun :>)
If the stringers are ok, I'll change her name from "The Lone Wrangler" to "The Blessed Miracle". But hey, God's been merciful to me many times:)
I have no idea about the gas, but someone has 'borrowed' the Gas cap assembly, and it's rained down the filler tube, so the tank will need to be removed. While I have it out, I'll pressure test it as well, better safe than sorry:)
It has a steering cable? ... The steering wheel turns freely, the motor does not move when I turn the wheel, so I figure that'll need looked in to, unless I want to weld a handle on the motor and rive that puppy stick style !

Small Saddle Wedgie

Seaman Apprentice

At the end of my post, where my signature is, you'll see a link to my current and ongoing for 3 years, restoration of my 1988 Glasstream Bass Boat...
Best of luck and most of all, Have Fun!
Gus

Your post made my whole day. I spent (and am going to spend) soo much time in there!
Thank you. Thank you. Thank you!

It figures... I'm so hyped up I feel like I could pull that engine off one handed and separate the hull and cap with my bear hands... and what does Texas give me?
29 Degree Freezing rain!!

I think it's time to empty out part of my shop :)

Mud Puppy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Permission to come aboard as well Small. With Texas being a warmer climate, following, I will be able to plan my activities to my Resto approximately a week after you start to warm back up...

at least it sounds good!

xt4v

Cadet

Hey there, subscribing also ;)

Going to be a nice big project, good luck with the build I'll be watching and cheering on :D

jbcurt00

Staff member

Yeah, if the steering wheel is turning & the motor isn't, something is definitely not right.

This ^^^ is a good example of why you also need to post pix, a video is good for somethings, but way too time consumining to try & repeatedly view while posting a reply.

I can't remember, is the steering arm still attached to the front of the Merc?

As before, I suspect it was removed when other items were stripped off.

Small Saddle Wedgie

Seaman Apprentice

Yeah, if the steering wheel is turning & the motor isn't, something is definitely not right.
This ^^^ is a good example of why you also need to post pix,

I see your point.
Should I post the Photos here as it will be part of my resto, or should I post them in the Outboard Engine Repair section, and then just post the hyperlink here?

(Tomorrow is supposed to be 50, so what perfect day to work on the boat!! I'll take lots of 'up close and personals' and get them on here)

jbcurt00

Staff member

If you want to start a Merc thread for the motor, sure post a link in your boat thread. The more people that see both the better. Ya never know what someone might see that others miss............

For the steering wheel disconnected from the motor, that's most likely boat related, not motor related.