1950 seahorse (QD-11) Unrestored barn find, need advise

spat70

Cadet
Hello all,
Im new here and want to thank everyone in advance for ANY advise. I will state that Im an Idiot and know nothing, and I will follow advice of the gurus on here and be a good student. :)...so here goes.

I just picked up a 1950 QD11 Seahorse with the original stand and fuel tank.
Its in great shape and from the looks of it it has less than 10 hours on it.
It is unmolested and nearly perfect, here is where you come in....I dont want to screw it up.

Here is what I did, I Brought it home, put it on the stand, took the cover off and just stood there and marveled at it with a silly grin. I then took the (ORIGINAL) plugs out and put a little 2 stroke oil in the cylinders. I let that sit over night, this morning I pulled the cord to make sure everything turned smooth. Is turns over great, I then checked the compression and it peaked (With oil) at 130lbs on top and 127ish on the bottom. I think thats good?

I then checked for spark and nada, I noticed a waxy goo leaking and I would guess that is the coating from the old coils.

So...I stopped there, and figured I need the help of a old timer that had been around the block a few times.

I cant seem to find new coils for that model. I bet there is a old fart sitting in front of his computer wearing only boxers drinking coffee grinning right now, because he know the part #s for the coil,points, impeller and seals from memory. This guy also know how to get this old beauty running in one afternoon.

If your sitting there reading this I need your help. Teach a young buck a few things. You can even yell at me like my grandfather did! If there is someone in
the Tampa Bay area that restores these I would love to become a student as I want to use this motor on my 1955 alumacraft 12footer (Also mint)

Thanks

spat70

Cadet
Re: 1950 seahorse (QD-11) Unrestored barn find, need advise

OK...first step I guess is replacing the coils, points, condenser, plugs.
Then clean the carb, this carb looks very complacated, kinda worried about this one.

What else should I be looking for?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

You have a good starting point there.

You will also need to rebuild the water pump and change the gearcase oil. Sounds like a lot of work but is satisfying when done and if done one step at a time is no big deal. Check out the FAQ on here for a thread entitled Awakening a Sleeping Outboard. There are many other threads in there as well that you should read.

Compression is great! Now we just need spark and fuel and we will have her running like new. Will get you some part numbers in one sec.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

The carb is quite simple, I got a qd-12 2 weeks ago , hadn't run in 20+ yrs.

Did the coils, the points and cond's were new. Had to clean the carb as it wouldn't run right.

To remove the carb, you need to remove the float bowl to gain access to the screw in behind. The carb isn't all that complicated, just pay attention to what goes where and take pics, the carb and intake are one piece, get a kit if you can. Clean out the sediment glass bowl as well. Be careful when removing the carb not to upset the copper lines, they will split leaving you to cut them back and find another compression fitting. I got mine up and running in an afternoon, clocked 18mph on my 14ft'er.

spat70

Cadet

I canceled the order for the points and coils...I just had a gut feeling they were the wrong ones. Here is the link to the coil, and it LOOKS the same as my oem.

http://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=MER++++802371A+1&ptype=&Engine=&Model=

And the points, mone look nothing like this.

http://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=SIE18-5006&ptype=&Engine=&Model=

I thought it would be better to cancel the order and wait for somemore info.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

You listed a Merc coil (which may be the same, looks it), I think you are looking for the OMC universal coil, mine has the universal coils, prior were a horseshoe coil like the HD motor:

http://hoodad.fortunecity.com/hd25mag.html

If yours are like the link above they don't make them anymore.

Iboats should sell the Sierra coils

COIL 18-5181

If that's what they are.

spat70

Cadet

That is exactly what I have, except mine is WAY cleaner. The points in mine look great, and I now have a good spark. However the waxy goo is running out of the coils and I feel they are to old to run for a extended amount of time.

As for the points, there is alot of meat on there and they should be useful for a long time with some cleanup.

Now I just need to find a puller to get the flywheel off, its been there for 60 years and it likes its home.

Now where is the water pump on this motor? I also cant seem to find a thermostat? Any ideas? Or links that can help me get this old girl serviced properly?

Geotheoutboardkid

Seaman Apprentice

hi i just got one its a qd-10 1949-1950... first model 10hp ever made and need help finding parts. anyone know where to find: waterpump, and a fuel pump mod using a 1960-1970 fuelpump plate with barb.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Be careful about hijacking and reviving old threads. They frown on that here. Try Sea-Way Marine, or Engine Blade and Prop.