New Sylvan 8522 CNF with RPT tubes Cracked welds

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobGinCO

Chief Petty Officer
Re: New Sylvan 8522 CNF with RPT tubes Cracked welds

The part I don't get is why they had to send them back to the mfg and the dealers could not perform. Makes no sense.

Probably because the dealer is smart enough to not give labor away. Sylvan isn't going to PAY them for it, so instead they can pay to ship it back and forth, and do it themselves. I'm sure it has something to do with liability, write-offs and tax code.

rogerwa

Commander

I have been reading this thread and feel really bad for you guys having problems. Its a bummer to spend that much on something recreational only to be that big a pita. Hope everything goes well with the remedies as it will probably take afew years until you feel the problem has been resolved.

craigmack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was out a couple of weeks ago but I have a steering issue; I suspect low hydraulic fluid is the cause. Sylvan sent out an (open) bottle of fluid with the adapter hose and said if I don't want to do it myself I can take it to any marina and they (Sylvan) will reimburse me. It sounds like a simple procedure so I'll give it a go first.

WaterDR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Keep us posted!

Hankson

Cadet

Well, Sylvan paid my dealer to replace the toons on my Mandalay. They did the job in three days. It has been in the water for 4 weeks and used 10 times. No friggin water so far. The welding on these toons is beautiful compared to original. I still have the hard to port steering after they replaced the steering unit. I have had to replace both regulators/alternators at $600.00 because they would not charge. Now, they will charge 14 volts on one battery and 12 volts on the other. The switch seems to be ok so I'll get the techs back to find out whats going on. My dealer Lincolnton marine and Sylvan have done a great job on my boat and I would buy another Sylvan from Jeremy Dawkins in a second. The Suzuki outboard would be replaced with a Yamaha. Please accept this email as my apology for anything derogatory I may have said.

The Woo Woo Kid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well it was confirmed yesterday that I have another leak :(

Same tube and same area in the nose section but opposite side of the tube where the last repair was done. Sylvan is footing the bill (again) and has agreed to replace the entire tube in the off season (if I want).

If it were me and they offered tri-toons to replace the two bad ones you have, I would take the tri-toons for sure. It looks like even new RPTs will suffer the same leaks as yours. Since a previous poster stated Sylvan offered him tri-toons as a fix, you may be able to get the same deal.

WHATEVER new toons are eventually installed, you would be very wise to have it thoroughly underskinned (rub rail to rub rail) while it's apart.

craigmack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

For those following my saga.. the new tubes are holding up fine. The added bracing in the nose section seems to be working great. The addition of the center tube added to stability when crossing wakes but seems to have hurt top speed by 2 MPH. I'm topping out at 36 where as before (with only two tubes) I was getting 38. It could be the engine is too low so I need to check that then next time out. Of course I keep telling myself that but when I do get out I forget to check because I'm enjoying the cruising ;) The steering is fixed and it was low fluid in the line (easy enough to add). Also, I incorrectly stated Sylvan sent me a bottle of fluid when in fact it was my dealer.

WaterDR

My new toons seem to be holding up fine as well. No signs of leaks (knock on wood)

CradleTodd

Recruit

I have a 8520 Mirage F-N-C with RPT Tunes purchased in 2010. It's been back to the dealer three times now (twice this year) for bad welds in the same place you all have had the same problems. Dealer contacted Sylvan and Sylvan has agreed to replace the toons (YEA!!!!!) They are repairing it right now and will replace the toons during the off season. Dealer mentioned that they would ship the boat back to Sylvan to have them replace the toons. Guess that means that it will be gone for a month! Hope not though.

Only thing I'm upset about now is that the dealer claims he can't get the welds done right now due to the rain. Says that the boat is too wet to weld (even though they pull it inside to do the work).

Could have something to do with the fact that they are having a boat show this week. Thinking of going to the boat show and hanging out in the Sylvan/my dealer area and see if that illicits a response from the dealer :)

WaterDR

Make sure your dealer wraps your boat correctly before shipping. Mine came back damaged as a result.

CradleTodd

Recruit

Make sure your dealer wraps your boat correctly before shipping. Mine came back damaged as a result.

Dealer told me that they don't wrap the boat...Sylvan might...but they don't. Not sure I'm hoping for them to screw it up or not at this point. :)

Well...here is an update.

I picked up my boat after the 3rd Welding repair job. 15 seperate cracks they had to repair. Dealer told me he kept pressure on it overnight and it held just fine. Great...Have my boat now.

I also got to speak with Sylvan (Dealer called them and they asked for my contact info...Sylvan warranty guy called me direct). I explained my concern about the fact that I've not had my boat for a total of two summer months and now they want me to ship my boat back to Sylvan and that this time it will take 6-8 weeks before I'd get it back. Now it will be in the winter months (or fall rather), but still...that's another two months for a total of 4 months. Meanwhile I'm out my boat payment, my slip payment, interest, loss of use, etc. After talking with him for about 30 minutes, he offered to underskin my boat (in addition to replacing the pontoons). Remember that this is a 20 foot 8520 Mirage. I told him that sounded good, but that I wanted to sleep on it.

So...here's my question to the group. Should I let them do this....or should I ask for something else...(third pontoon maybe?) Anything else I should request instead (or in addition to)??

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

craigmack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

For the lake I cruise the 3rd toon made sense given the waves/wakes I encounter. If you never see big waves then it'll be less needed though it will increase the weight you can carry. Absolutely get the underskin if they're offering it, doesn't make sense to refuse it when it's free. If you don't have the double bimini you could ask for it but I doubt they would give you it.

billa12

Recruit

I was thinking of buying a Sylvan from a dealer. They told me about the stress cracks but said that the new pontoons will be shipped to them and the dealer will swap them out... Has anyone heard of this? Or will I(the dealer) have to ship the boat back to Sylvan? Am I wise to even buy the boat? It is a 2012 used 22'.
Thanks!

craigmack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yep. Heard about and lived it! In my case the boat was sent back to Sylvan because the center toon was also being added and the underskinning is different from what I had with the two toons (makes sense it would be). I haven't any issues with the new redesigned RPT toons. Since you're buying it from a dealer (I'm assuming a Sylvan dealer adn the boat has the RPT toons) then it should be no cost to you (toons or shipping) regardless who does the work, but ask first and get it in writing. Since it's a used boat you'll want to read up on the warranty agreement as I don't know how well the second owner (?) is covered, though I suppose the same would be true regardless of manufacturer.

Edit: I should note that I am the original owner of my boat so all my work was covered 100% under warranty

Last edited:

WaterDR

I was thinking of buying a Sylvan from a dealer. They told me about the stress cracks but said that the new pontoons will be shipped to them and the dealer will swap them out... Has anyone heard of this? Or will I(the dealer) have to ship the boat back to Sylvan? Am I wise to even buy the boat? It is a 2012 used 22'.
Thanks!

I think it is REALLY great that the dealer is being transparent. My dealer still is in denial even after mine was returned to Sylvan to have them replaced as if I was the single person out there with a problem. According to Sylvan, they told me they would ship toons to dealers if they wanted to do the work. I think that sounds reasonable. I am not sure if I would buy it until they were replaced, though, and it could take a while. Otherwise, make sure you have something in writng to make things easier. Regardless, all of these toon are covered under warranty and Sylvam has been good to me.

billa12

Recruit

ok, thanks for the info everyone! I will make sure everything is in writing before buying it. I didn't read through the whole thread but where is the primary place that these welds are cracking on the pontoon? :confused:

craigmack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok, thanks for the info everyone! I will make sure everything is in writing before buying it. I didn't read through the whole thread but where is the primary place that these welds are cracking on the pontoon? :confused:

Mine was leaking in the nose section. I posted pics of the area at the bottom of page 1. I also posted a pic of the redesigned (pre-production) nose section mid page on page 4.

lakegeorge

With all the toons out there for sale why on Earth would you take a chance on this one? Go find one without any problems.

craigmack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

With all the toons out there for sale why on Earth would you take a chance on this one? Go find one without any problems.

That may be hard to do considering at one point or another they all have (had) issues. Granted Sylvan has an issue with their older RPT toons but the new ones seem to be just fine. I haven't had a single issue with the newer designed (Sept/Oct 2012?) ones. If he gets the newer toons he should be fine; I agree with definitely don't buy it with the older ones.

Since I'm only one of many, I ask the others that had the older RPTs replaced with the newer ones... are you having any issues with them?

WaterDR

Overall, I have had a good experience with our pontoon and Sylvan. My dealer....is a different issue. I will go elsewhere next time.

I have a dual toon 8524 LE with RPT and a Yam 115, under skin, hydraulic steering, etc... The deal was hard to beat. And now that the dealer had to pay me 2100 bucks back the deal was even better.

The toon handles very well and turns wonderfully especially now with a cupped 13p stainless prop which has been great. I only make about 28 mph but it will go 25 loaded with people.

I have found the RPTs to deliver as promised and I don't miss having a third toon although I would have preferred a 150 motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.