New Sylvan 8522 CNF with RPT tubes Cracked welds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pesimist

Seaman
Re: New Sylvan 8522 CNF with RPT tubes Cracked welds

Are you new to owning a pontoon by any chance? Pontoons don't really track well in water, so I can't tell if your issue is a "normal" thing, or if you really have a problem. I can tell you this, though, I have owned three pontoons. This one cuts through the water better than the other two I had and requires fewer steering corrections.

I believe what Hankson is saying is: Maneuvering a Sylvan equipped with RPT's at higher speeds, such as pulling a tube or skier results in very unstable handling characteristics. Believe the speeds he suggests are greater than the 27/28 your's will achieve. Mine handles like an old Ford LTD with a worn out front end wandering back and forth on a roadway with a slight crown. Add in a little cross wind in addition to the 1-ft swells and it is squirrely - much more than a standard toon. In my case, I've been operating pontoons for quite a while, about 25 years +.

craigmack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Time for an update, my 2nd weld repair is holding just fine (as is the 1st repair). I'm still inclined to say it's a bad job by the original welder.

As for the wandering steering, I too get this but is seems to be speed sensitive and mostly at slow speeds. I think it has to do with the hydraulic steering. My sister's Stingray I/O would also wander at slow speeds... worse too.

WaterDR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I believe what Hankson is saying is: Maneuvering a Sylvan equipped with RPT's at higher speeds, such as pulling a tube or skier results in very unstable handling characteristics. Believe the speeds he suggests are greater than the 27/28 your's will achieve. Mine handles like an old Ford LTD with a worn out front end wandering back and forth on a roadway with a slight crown. Add in a little cross wind in addition to the 1-ft swells and it is squirrely - much more than a standard toon. In my case, I've been operating pontoons for quite a while, about 25 years +.

I get 27/28 with one or two people and 25 with entire family. We also tube and water ski....no stability issues at all. We boat entirely on a large river and there are always swells including many large ones. The thing seems to just go over them very smoothly except for the big ones which any toon will have issues with. Naturally, in larger swells, it will tend to cut back and forth a bit, but I have never felt like I have to cut the wheel back and forth and constantly correct like I had to with my last boat. I just point it and it goes. I have taken trips over 40 miles with it too.

In very calm conditions such as in the evening or early morning, I have had no issues either. Seems very stable.

I will be curious when the toon comes out at the end of the season to look for any water in the tubes. My fingers will be crossed.

Hankson

Cadet

Pesimist, your exactly right about the speed thing. My 200 Suzuki will push the Mandalay about 43 with me and the wife. I am trying to keep her down to 30mph for economy. Man your description af the LTD loose steering brings back the memories alright. I had a 55 chevy that you had to turn the wheel half way around for any wheel movement at all. Had to steady her up when another car was coming. Man those were the days: $.32 per gallon gas, beer $.25 a can (PBR of course) and a movie for $.50. I think I will purge the steering lines and see if the wandering improves.

craigmack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well... the port side tube took on water Monday to the point where the entire tube was filled. There must have been another hole on top to let the air out otherwise the tube should have never filled as much as it did. Luckily it was tied at my dock and the water depth was only 4 feet. SeaTow quoted $2500 to "salvage" the boat by placing air bags underneath and towing the 1/2 mile to the marina. For $160 I was able to winch it high enough to drill a hole in the top to pump out the water to a point I could drive it to the marina. Of course this was after getting Sylvan's approval. My dealer had put me in direct contact with their Customer Service manager. While I talked to him (Darrell) I also learned they redesigned the nose cone of the RPTs by placing bracing at the stress points. Darrell was extremely nicce and very understanding gave the OK to replace my two RPT tubes with the new ones or with the standard round with strakes. In either case I'm also getting a center tube added at no cost to me. The boat does have to go back to the factory due to the amount of work involved but since my season is over it doesn't makes any difference to me. I told Darrell they get an A+ in customer service but an F in quality control. I've attached a pic of the new nose cone. I'm on the fence as which tubes to get now so let me ask you guys what would you get after seeing the new RPT nose cone?

NewRPT.jpg

Todd4

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Maybe I missed it, but are your weld cracks starting in the nose cone? I guess my real question is, does the redesigned nose cone look like it strengthens the area that you had problems with. I've got a tri-toon with lifting strakes, but I've never been on a toon with RPT tubes. How willl the performance compare between tri-RPTs and 3 round tubes w/strakes? Sylvan should publish that info for your length and engine size. That may be the deciding factor for you.

BTW - I don't think I'd be as patient as you have been. Any pics of it sinking at your dock? Good luck and keep us posted.

Todd

craigmack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Cracks have been in the keel about 8" forward of where the nose cone joins the rest of the tube. It would seem oil canning is happeneing and the welds can't take the stress. I believe Sylvan always uses a round center tube regardless of which outer tube is used. I've heard from others that the performance is about the same but I have no way to compare the two. I get close to 40 MPH (GPS) with the two RPTs and the 150 HP using the 15P Enertia prop. BTW, what a great prop the Enertia is. It hooks up really well and doesn't break loose like the 15P Black Max. I do have some pics but won't be able to post them until tonight. What HP/prop are you running and what are you getting for speed?

Todd4

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a 2006 Bennington 2275fsi tritoon with underskinning and strakes on both sides of all three 25" (I think) tubes. The motor is a 150 Yamaha 4 stroke with the 15P, three blade, prop that came new with the boat (I don't know the manufacturer's name). I haven't had it out much since I bought it last winter because I'm working on wiring up on-board battery chargers (the underskinning is making that job really really difficult). However, while playing with the trim I ran 37 MPH (GPS) in light chop, a headwind, bimini top open, full fuel, with two on board. I feel I can better that a little once I play around with it, but I'm guessing 40 is going to be tops in ideal conditions.

Hope this little bit helps - NEXT summer I'll have solid answers about the performance. ;)

Todd

WaterDR

Craig, can you PM me the number to the guy at Sylvan? I want to call them and verify which tubs I have.

craigmack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't think they've gone to production (or they just recently started production) with the new design, it's very new. You've had your boat for a while now so you must have the older design.

WaterDR

Mine is a 2012....as is yours, I see. I have had ZERO issues with it so far. Th dam thing has been sitting in the water since the Spring and has been beached dozens of times. Just wondering if perhaps I have a "fixed" version. I would also like to start a relationship with the company so I know where to turn if I ever have a problem.

BTW, at top spend, how if the ride?

Pesimist

Seaman

Mine is a 2012....as is yours, I see. I have had ZERO issues with it so far. Th dam thing has been sitting in the water since the Spring and has been beached dozens of times. Just wondering if perhaps I have a "fixed" version. I would also like to start a relationship with the company so I know where to turn if I ever have a problem.

BTW, at top spend, how if the ride?

I'm wondering if the relatively constant temperature of the water might be the reason why you're toons haven't cracked. Mine is in & out of the water frequently. When I'm done cruising its in the lift and out of the water, nothing touches the toons, cradle lifts at the floor cross members only. On the toon that isn't cracked, when I remove the drain plug in the afternoon, there is a lot of pressure due to expansion. You probably don't get the same expansion with your boat in the water all the time. I sure wish you luck and hope you don't experience what I've gone through.

craigmack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mine says in too except for when it leaks and needs repairing :rolleyes: but I suspect pounding waves and the stress it puts on the nose cone is my issue. The previous two weld repairs on the starboard tube are holding fine, it was the port tube this time (which was previously doing good) finally leaked.

Pesimist

Seaman

Craig, can you PM me the number to the guy at Sylvan? I want to call them and verify which tubs I have.

Darrell Troyer: 574-831-7067 or email: mailto:darrell.troyer@smokercraftinc.com

Good luck

craigmack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

For you view pleasure. The first two leaks were in the starboard tube and both times it settled to the point you see and was driveable. The latest leak was in the port tube and clearly NOT driveable!

Starboard Leak.jpg Port Leak.jpg

Below is the area of leak 1 & 2 but I didn't find the area for leak 3, mostly because I didn't care at that point due to the tubes being replaced, but I suspect the same area. The seam to the right is where the nose cone joins the rest of the tube.

Leak1b.jpg

Pesimist

Seaman

That's terrible! Mine would have probably sunk as well if it weren't for the lift I've got in the boathouse.

The aft lift cable did snap this spring, too much weight with the water in the toon. Guess I should have pulled the drain plug and inched the lift up a little at a time to allow for water to drain out (but that's hindsight).

Last edited:

craigmack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Luckily my boat was only in 4' of water this time of year. The rear wasn't touching the bottom yet but the front was because the beachfront. I'm sure it would have rolled over if I tried to take it out the way it was. SeaTow quoted $2500 to airbag and tow it, but had it sunk it would have been around $10K.

WaterDR

I'm wondering if the relatively constant temperature of the water might be the reason why you're toons haven't cracked. Mine is in & out of the water frequently. When I'm done cruising its in the lift and out of the water, nothing touches the toons, cradle lifts at the floor cross members only. On the toon that isn't cracked, when I remove the drain plug in the afternoon, there is a lot of pressure due to expansion. You probably don't get the same expansion with your boat in the water all the time. I sure wish you luck and hope you don't experience what I've gone through.

Humm....that might make sense. Not completely buying it, but I have nothing else to go on. Interesting thought.

WaterDR

I spoke to Sylvan today. They seems very committed to helping people with issues. They have redesigned the nose cones and my tubes are not updated.

By the numbers, Sylvan has been selling RPT tubes since 2008. They have sold thousands. There are a very, very small number with problems.....less than 1% failure rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.