New here, season coming to an end, family wishes to overhaul boat

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: New here, season coming to an end, family wishes to overhaul boat

as far as the materials list....thro in some gluvit for good measure.....

i boats sells seats.......but if you want custom....pick one and have it recovered

Maxx102

Seaman Apprentice

I have seen the seats - lounge and pedistal, but I can't seem to see any bench seating for the open bench area of a boat.

redfury

Commander

A bench seat can be made easily enough and upholstered by any upholsterer...just make sure you use marine grade material to avoid it rotting or mildewing away in short order.

Otherwise, keep your eye on craigslist. I've seen rear bench seats for the larger crestliner boats that people have sold for 100-$150. They are pretty slick seats and you can fold them down.

Making boat seats is in the foam for the most part.

Maxx102

Seaman Apprentice

Ok, I will do that thanks

Any ideas on how to make the dash more "modern" it's got that old wood panel look to it..

Oh, and here is another question......is the rating on the transom is that how much a motor can weigh or how much HP the motor can produce???

BIGcarpy50

Petty Officer 1st Class

i have the same size boat and am in the process of a rebuild i got mine for 800 with a 50hp evinrude so your ahead of me. i am planning on using some Mahagony planks that are 3/4" thik. i am gonna shiplap them and just throw some cheap marine carpet on them. the mahog will not rot for a very long long long time beacuse i never leave the boat in the water. As for your HP rating i was told it has more to do with the HP rating than weight. if you put a 125 on a boat rated for 90 first off its stupid, (and i think illegal) but also it will put alot of stress on the transom. just stick with the 70 it is plenty big enough for what you need. let me know how things work out. Also for the dash try to find some chunks of oak to make it rot-proof. i am planning on using some white alum or even diamond plate to cover it. i think it will look cool

Maxx102

Seaman Apprentice

Well, the motor has been giving us a lot of problems. When the Minnesota State Fair was going on I came across the Evinrude area and they had a lot of nice boats with the E-tec motors....I was drooling on the boats.....and at $50k I would expect that.

Anyway I got on Evinrude's mailing list and received a CD and product catalog of their E-Tec motors. They don't have a 70 hp, but they do have a 75 hp E-Tec.

Maxx102

Seaman Apprentice

I have another question.....under the floor I noticed some white styrofoam like you would see protecting large electronic item like a computer or flat panel tv. Since the floor is bad I can safely assume that the stingers and foam is too.

I saw online various marine grade self-expanding foam and they have different amounts. My question is how much do I need for 16 foot boat?

rogerwa

Commander

Your motor may only need a carb cleaning and an impeller for good measure. I wouldn't give up the ghost on that as yet. Those Evisnrudes can take a licking and come back for more.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

As far as your motor goes, the 70 hp Evinrude you have is a great motor and about as reliable as you can get. You didn't say what the problems you are having with it are, and that would probably be better put in the engine forum, but that engine is a keeper in my book because it is fairly cheap to work on as long as the bottom end is in good shape. I'd run a compression check on it and if it checks out good, I'd fix it before I replaced it. I have essentially the same motor on my boat (70hp Johnson), and it is a fantastic motor.

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

My 93 20hp Johnson always started 1-2 pull. never left me stranded. No maintence.

1991 Eveinrude.... Hard to start in the morning due to pipe plugs where the choke should have been, but other than that, no problems ever.

+1 for johnson

anyway. I think your stingers might be alumimum?

gunner1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have another question.....under the floor I noticed some white styrofoam like you would see protecting large electronic item like a computer or flat panel tv. Since the floor is bad I can safely assume that the stingers and foam is too.

I saw online various marine grade self-expanding foam and they have different amounts. My question is how much do I need for 16 foot boat?

If the styrofoam is waterlogged, replace it. As for your stringers, they are probably aluminum since your boat is aluminum and thusly not rotted.

Maxx102

Seaman Apprentice

Well if the stringers are aluminum that would be great because that means less work for me ....., but does anyone know how much foam to get???

I haven't seen the motor since labor day, but someone told me it siezed up

jcsercsa

Captain

Well if the stringers are aluminum that would be great because that means less work for me ....., but does anyone know how much foam to get???

I haven't seen the motor since labor day, but someone told me it siezed up

Well I would guess its about the same as mine maybe a little less , I have a 15.6 tri-hill and i got about 14 cubie feet in mine !! had to get two 16 lbs kits and i had just a little bit left over !! John

Maxx102

Seaman Apprentice

Hello everyone,

It's been awhile since I posted, but yesterday we started rebuilding.

Here's a couple of pics.

Before -
DSC00135.jpg

As it is now.
DSC00169.jpg

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

that trailer is in need of attention also.

djneff2

Cadet

I have the same boat I think. It is a 83 Sylvan SS. I have a 60 HP Mariner on mine. I just started tearing mine apart New Years Day. I am replacing the transom on mine. It was rotted along with the floor. I am going to check at work about form ply wood that we use to resurface our forms. I am Sending some photos. Never done this before so I hope it works. Also for the year of your boat if you get the numbers off of the back this should help you.

Attachments

• IMG_7277.JPG
    IMG_7277.JPG
    5.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7294.JPG
    IMG_7294.JPG
    5.7 KB · Views: 0
D

DJ

I find this one funny because this is one of the boats I used as an example to my cousins and uncle of what could be done to the boat.

Didn't know.:redface:

That's why we post those completed projects, hoping it will be an inspiration.:)

Keep us posted.