How to Clean out salt from Merc. 4

mylesera

Recruit
I have come into possession of a Mercury 4 outboard. I took it to a local marine service place, and they told me that after some tinkering it runs well. Problem is that whoever stored it away did not flush the salt water out of the system, and it is completely salted up so that no water will circulate through the engine. Does anyone have any advice to a beginner such as I am as to how to open it up and clean out the lines. The guy who serviced it recommended plenty of hard work with a wire brush and salt dissolving fluids. I do not have a repair manual, and am a little concerned about messing this engine up as it apparently is otherwise in great shape.

Thanks for any help / links / etc that you can give me.

Grant.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: How to Clean out salt from Merc. 4

Grant, That is pretty unusual for a motor to be salted up that bad. I am sceptical that the mechanic gave you the truth. How do you know the water does not circulate? You alos might post year and model number

The motor cannot be run for more than a minute or so without water circulating thru it or it will overheat.

mylesera

Recruit

Thanks.

I will check it out with a brief test, and post result.

More soon.

Grant.

gss036

Commander

Invest in a container just big enough for the motor to run and fill it vinegar, Run it just enough to get the vinegar into the water passages and then let it sit for a few hours and repeat a few times. Vinegar does a great job of disolving the salt.
There is also a product called salt away that BoaterWorld and others sell for flushing to remove salt, I have never used it.
I have seen small motors filled w/salt to the point the the head has to be removed and chisled out the salt build up. So, yes it does happen, just not that often.